Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2022, 03:33 PM
JRR

8,161 posts, read 5,654,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChileSauceCritic View Post
Even though gangsters and terrorists aren't stopped by such measures all it does is inconvenience those who choose to live off the grid or to be digital nomads who are causing harm to nobody.

All a brokerage firm ACTUALLY needs is the investment money a name and a password, anything else is un necessary hassle, that's one reason so many handle their investments via overseas banks in countries with no extradition treaties with the country they live in as they don't want their money monitored or seized(student loans, alimony, child support etc etc etc).
Maybe that is all that is needed in your world, but the real world is very different. As for the reasons you listed for not wanting your money monitored or seized; is it that you want to just be able to avoid obligations like student loans, child support, alimony etc etc etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2022, 03:59 PM

3,053 posts, read 2,030,049 times
You need to decide which state and city in that state to declare as your address and get a mailbox there, also a drivers license there. The #1 reason is taxes, some states levy taxes on income and other do not. Insurance (health, car, auto) all base their charges on where your home is located. The people I knew with big RV's chose Montana as their physical address even if they also owned a physical home in a different state. The reason is that Montana did not levy taxes on their income but it's been 10 years since I learned that and things may have changed.

The US is run by it's 50 states and that's why you need to decide which state you are a resident of, even if you are full-time RV'ing. If you don't want to have any insurance at all you still need an address to file your federal taxes, even if you owe nothing. Don't mess with the tax man, file your taxes.

Old 01-02-2022, 05:15 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
.... The people I knew with big RV's chose Montana as their physical address even if they also owned a physical home in a different state. The reason is that Montana did not levy taxes on their income but it's been 10 years since I learned that and things may have changed.
.... Don't mess with the tax man, file your taxes.
MT residents pay MT income tax regardless of the state that income was earned. (As usual with all states I am aware).

MT does not have a sales tax, so very popular state to form an LLC to own and register your expensive life see assets (MH, exotic cars, boats, airplanes...)

Old 01-03-2022, 02:17 PM

1,438 posts, read 733,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
Maybe that is all that is needed in your world, but the real world is very different. As for the reasons you listed for not wanting your money monitored or seized; is it that you want to just be able to avoid obligations like student loans, child support, alimony etc etc etc
Technically that's all they need, the money and a way to contact you.
oh and I don't have those obligations but I used those as examples of why "the machine" want's people tied to a stationary address.

Old 01-04-2022, 05:43 AM

4,605 posts, read 3,297,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChileSauceCritic View Post
Technically that's all they need, the money and a way to contact you.
oh and I don't have those obligations but I used those as examples of why "the machine" want's people tied to a stationary address.
There's no "machine" wanting you to stay anywhere. You have complete freedom to live wherever you want and travel as you like. There's no "system" holding you down. But if you want to take advantage of the perks offered by businesses such as financial institutions and the like, you have to abide by their rules. It's not the "machine." It's big business. If you want to go and live off the grid somewhere and earn no money, then you're your own man (or woman). But if you want to take advantage of the benefits of living in a civilization, you have to make some concessions. You can't have it both ways. Sorry.

Old 01-04-2022, 09:30 AM

10,890 posts, read 7,376,511 times
I applied for a Sentri card recently. They wanted every address for the last 5 years, with no gaps. We spent about 6 months between houses, traveling around and staying in hotels, airbnbs, and with friends. I had to make something up.

Many nomads set up "residence" in a no-income-tax state like Texas. Companies provide what appears (to others) to be a physical address, mail forwarding services, and more. Your insurance, voting, and jury duty demands will all be based on that address.

I can't justify the address requirements, only commiserate and offer a work-around.

Old 01-06-2022, 05:35 AM

572 posts, read 325,130 times
You can use close relatives address and it is needed for correspondence . You can give one of your siblings or the parents.

Old 01-06-2022, 03:09 PM

1,438 posts, read 733,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolair View Post
You can use close relatives address and it is needed for correspondence . You can give one of your siblings or the parents.
has not been needed for correspondence since the phone was invented or email.

I've been 100% paperless for the last decade in all my transactions..

now if the customer chooses to have letters sent to his house that's fine but it's 2022 there is no reason for anyone to require a physical address except for utility companies, and home repair contractors(for actual, real reasons like knowing which house to pipe water/electricity/cable/wires internet to or knowing the address of the roof they have to patch up.).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing