Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2021, 06:56 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChileSauceCritic View Post
Okay name some valid reasons?
Auto insurance is the big reason. Your rates / risk is based on a zip code +/-
Auto registration is another (Many states will not issue a registration w/o a physical addy, for many reasons )
DL.
Voting / Jury Duty
Criminal offenses...
https://www.escapees.com/education/domicile/

Best to find a good friend who has an addy (in a sales and income tax free state) and will forward mail and cover for you regardless of the situation.

Many people use SD, TX, FL, or MT as domiciles (and never live there).

https://americasmailbox.com/sd_residency
https://choosesd.com/

(MT Gov site is down tonight)
https://leg.mt.gov/bills/mca/title_0...0010-0030.html

I keep vehicles registered in several states, for many reasons
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2021, 07:02 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,037,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_am_too_sweet View Post
Besides voting what the hell do I need an address for, what purpose does it serve?

Usually when this subject comes up everyone just suggests lying, to use a friend or families address but what if I just don't want to be a resident of anyplace ?

I went through it with the car insurance company, they wanted a utility bill. I was like what the hell I am travelling right now how about just charge me for the location in the US with the highest rate so you don't feel cheated ? No they wouldn't they cancelled me for refusing to lie and claim to have an address.

Place I was staying sent back some insurance company mail, return to sender,

I don't believe there is any kind of law requiring and address and its just a case of everyone playing along with dumb****.
Join Escapees.

https://www.escapees.com/

The support system for full-time RVers for over 50 years??

Here is the forum for asking questions. It is open to non-members

https://www.rvnetwork.com/

Old 01-01-2022, 06:14 AM

4,605 posts, read 3,295,372 times
You can also use a mail receiving service, which we have done for decades. You can find them online by googling. These are not post office boxes and so are legitimate for getting most mail, but I'll bet they would not do for getting insurance on your vehicle. I am not sure about putting that on your income tax return, either.

We use them because of having a winter residence. It's handy for a bank and other financial places to have one place to send mail and you don't have to keep forwarding with the post office. They will send you your mail anywhere in the world, and email you a picture of the front of the envelope whenever you get something so you can decide whether to trash it, send it to you at wherever, or keep it until you amass a bunch of mail.

Old 01-01-2022, 08:05 AM

1,437 posts, read 732,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
Please post some valid examples. I don't know you but are you really so important in the scheme of life that the government is tracking you. How are they controlling you? I ask because I have never understood this point of view. I personally doubt the government is tracking me, now people trying to sell me stuff is a whole different story. As for being controlled, I just don't see it as I can easily do anything I want.
I'm not speaking us as individuals but as a people, In short, accurately counting the world’s digital nomads is an impossibility because the groups that normally count people – have no way to do so, this makes it harder to collect taxes, summon for jury duty, to investigate if they are a "person of interest" or "suspect" it's the reason that the more "ties to the community" you have the more likely you are to get bail if "accused of a crime" also any changes you want to make to a permanent structure you have to get a permit, you can trick out your van or RV anyway you want. most jurisdictions have a ton of stupid regulations on what you can do on "YOUR" property, I has a neighbor who built a really nice workshop in his backyard and the city came and made him tear it down he ended up having to buy a premade structure that was less cool than the one he built.

Old 01-01-2022, 01:28 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Find a spot with no building codes and no HOA, and non-nosy neighbors.
https://offgridgrandpa.com/states-an...uilding-codes/
https://upgradedhome.com/counties-wi...uilding-codes/

https://www.city-data.com/forum/self...ing-codes.html

You can add a shack for under $1000 (find them used in areas with building code enforcement)

Old 01-02-2022, 04:40 AM

4,596 posts, read 6,350,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_am_too_sweet View Post
Besides voting what the hell do I need an address for, what purpose does it serve?

Usually when this subject comes up everyone just suggests lying, to use a friend or families address but what if I just don't want to be a resident of anyplace ?

I went through it with the car insurance company, they wanted a utility bill. I was like what the hell I am travelling right now how about just charge me for the location in the US with the highest rate so you don't feel cheated ? No they wouldn't they cancelled me for refusing to lie and claim to have an address.

Place I was staying sent back some insurance company mail, return to sender,

I don't believe there is any kind of law requiring and address and its just a case of everyone playing along with dumb****.
See the "Real ID Act" for an example of a Federal Law. Some companies have taken this requirement to extremes, and have insisted it is a requirement for their business model, but it was designed for and implemented by financial institutions.

As suggested, your best bet is to follow what others have done, establish a domicile in a tax friendly state, such as South Dakota, as we did when we were fulltime RV'ers. We used Dakota Post to establish a SD domicile.

Old 01-02-2022, 04:47 AM

4,596 posts, read 6,350,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChileSauceCritic View Post
I'm not speaking us as individuals but as a people, In short, accurately counting the world’s digital nomads is an impossibility because the groups that normally count people – have no way to do so, this makes it harder to collect taxes, summon for jury duty, to investigate if they are a "person of interest" or "suspect" it's the reason that the more "ties to the community" you have the more likely you are to get bail if "accused of a crime" also any changes you want to make to a permanent structure you have to get a permit, you can trick out your van or RV anyway you want. most jurisdictions have a ton of stupid regulations on what you can do on "YOUR" property, I has a neighbor who built a really nice workshop in his backyard and the city came and made him tear it down he ended up having to buy a premade structure that was less cool than the one he built.
Most likely he violated the local building code. I am not a fan of building codes, and have violated them more than once, and sometimes I paid the price....but they do serve a propose in our society.

Old 01-02-2022, 01:02 PM

44,348 posts, read 20,047,057 times
Back on topic, please!
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 01-02-2022, 01:49 PM
JRR

8,159 posts, read 5,651,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
Check into Escapees, an organization for folks that live full time in RVs.

There is also Loners on Wheels for singles that full time.

What is needed is a mailing address that you can use for various functions like vehicle registration, taxes, bills, etc. There are mail forwarding services for that purpose.
When I was in the financial services business, it was required that to have a brokerage account, you had to have an actual physical address on file and a mail forwarding service was not sufficient. And it took just a few seconds to verify if the address was a forwarding service. I can't tell you how many times clients would insist that the address was their home, when it was perfectly clear that it was a location for Mail Boxes Etc or the like.

The reason for the physical address requirement is that it is part of verifying the identity of the person opening the account for anti-money laundering and anti-terrorism financing purposes.

Last edited by JRR; 01-02-2022 at 02:02 PM..

Old 01-02-2022, 02:55 PM

1,437 posts, read 732,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
When I was in the financial services business, it was required that to have a brokerage account, you had to have an actual physical address on file and a mail forwarding service was not sufficient. And it took just a few seconds to verify if the address was a forwarding service. I can't tell you how many times clients would insist that the address was their home, when it was perfectly clear that it was a location for Mail Boxes Etc or the like.

The reason for the physical address requirement is that it is part of verifying the identity of the person opening the account for anti-money laundering and anti-terrorism financing purposes.
Even though gangsters and terrorists aren't stopped by such measures all it does is inconvenience those who choose to live off the grid or to be digital nomads who are causing harm to nobody.

All a brokerage firm ACTUALLY needs is the investment money a name and a password, anything else is un necessary hassle, that's one reason so many handle their investments via overseas banks in countries with no extradition treaties with the country they live in as they don't want their money monitored or seized(student loans, alimony, child support etc etc etc).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing