Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County
 [Register]
Brevard County Space Coast: Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2020, 08:12 AM

351 posts, read 320,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrevardREALTOR View Post
Life feels somewhat like pre-hurricane days. People are trying to carry on with the things that need done but they are distracted by the “what ifs”. People stand in long lines in hopes of being able to grab some toilet paper and grocery stores run out of food like cereal and bread daily.

We’re supposed to limit to groups of 10 max. Since people were still throwing big parties on the beaches & staying for Spring Break they closed down the beach parking to lessen this. The beaches themselves remain open.

Real Estate is still being bought and sold daily. Since Real Estate is considered an essential need by the government it will likely continue. Prices remain strong, with the normal adjustments in homes that have been on the market longer than typical.

Many businesses have closed their doors, but a surprising number remain open. Engineering firms working on top-secret projects cannot have people working from home, so they continue to have them come into work. Restaurants have been limited to carry out or delivery only.
In most areas that are regulating business closures, only Mortgage and Loan companies are allowed to be open, not real estate offices. They are allowing Mortgage and Loan companies to be open so people who have been laid off (or about to be laid off) can work out payment plans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2020, 12:49 AM

210 posts, read 276,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by franniejacks View Post
In most areas that are regulating business closures, only Mortgage and Loan companies are allowed to be open, not real estate offices. They are allowing Mortgage and Loan companies to be open so people who have been laid off (or about to be laid off) can work out payment plans.
I was reading the guidelines for Michigan, as they are enacting shelter in place with exceptions (as Florida has not done so yet) and I did note that Realtors were not on the list of exceptions. However, Real Estate was listed as an exception in Ohio.
Real Estate is also included in the Homeland Securities list of essential services:

”Here is a breakdown of businesses considered "essential" in the Stay Home Order:

CISA List
-- The U.S. Department of Homeland Security has issued a list of critical businesses and operations that are considered important in order to keep the country running. All of the businesses listed below are included in the CISA List.
Stores that sell groceries and medicine: Grocery stores, pharmacies, farmers markets, farm and produce stands, supermarkets, convenience stores. Any businesses crucial to the supply chain of these businesses are also included.
Food, beverage and licensed marijuana production and agriculture: Food and beverage manufacturing, production, processing and cultivation including farming; medical marijuana dispensaries and licensed medical marijuana production and cultivation; businesses that provide food, shelter and other necessities for farming and raising animals including animal shelters, rescues, kennels and adoption facilities.
Charitable and social services: Religious and nonprofit organizations like food banks, shelters, social services and other necessities for economically disadvantaged individuals who need assistance as a result of the emergency, and people living with disabilities.
Religious entities: Religious facilities, religious gatherings, weddings and funerals.
Media: Newspapers, television, radio and other media services.
First amendment protected speech
Gas stations and businesses needed for transportation: Gas stations, auto supply, auto repair, farm equipment, construction equipment, boat repair, bicycle shops and related facilities.
Financial and insurance institutions: Banks, currency exchanges, consumer lenders, pawnbrokers, consumer installment lenders, sales finance lenders, credit unions, appraisers, title companies, financial markets, trading and futures exchanges, payday lenders, affiliates of financial institutions, entities that issue bonds, institutions selling financial products and related institutions; Insurance companies, underwriters, agents, brokers and related insurance claims and agency services.
Hardware and supply stores: Hardware stores and businesses that sell electrical, plumbing and heating material.
Critical trades: Building and construction tradespeople; other trades including but not limited to plumbers, electricians, exterminators, cleaning and janitorial staff, security staff, operating engineers, HVAC, painting, moving and relocation services; other businesses that provide services that are necessary to maintaining the safety, sanitation and essential operations of residents and other essential businesses.
Mail, post, shipping, logistics, delivery and pick-up services: Post offices, businesses providing shipping and delivery services, businesses that ship or deliver groceries, food, alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages, goods, vehicles or services to end users or through commercial channels.
Educational institutions: Public and private pre-K-12 schools, colleges and universities -- This does not supersede or change DeWine's previous order regarding the closure of schools.
Laundry services: Laundromats, dry cleaners, industrial laundry services and laundry service providers.
Restaurants for consumption off-premises: Restaurants and other facilities that serve food, as long as they are complying with the previous order that no customers are eating on the premises. Only for take-out or delivery purposes.
Supplies to work from home: Businesses that sell, manufacture or supply products needed for people to work from home.
Supplies for other essential businesses: Businesses that sell, manufacture or supply other essential businesses with material necessary to operate, like computers, audio and video equipment, household appliances, IT and telecommunication, hardware, paint, flat glass, electrical, plumbing and heating material, sanitary equipment, personal hygiene products, food, food additives, ingredients and components, medical and orthopedic equipment, optics and photography equipment, diagnostics, food and beverages, chemicals, soaps and detergents, firearms and ammunition suppliers and retailers.
Transportation: Airlines, taxis, transportation network providers like Uber and Lyft, vehicle rental services, paratransit, marinas, docks, boat storage and other commercial transportation and logistics.
Home-based care and services: Home-based care for adults, seniors, children, people with developmental disabilities, intellectual disabilities, substance use disorders, mental illness and caregivers like nannies who may provide childcare in the child's home, meal delivery services.
Residential facilities and shelters: Residential facilities and shelters for adults, seniors, children, pets, people with developmental disabilities, intellectual disabilities, substance use disorders and mental illness.
Professional services: Legal services, accounting services, insurance services and real estate services.
Manufacture, distribution and supply chain for critical products and industries: Companies that manufacture or distribute essential products for industries like pharmaceutical, technology, biotechnology, healthcare, chemicals and sanitization, waste pickup and disposal, agriculture, food and beverage, transportation, energy, steel and steel products, petroleum and fuel, mining, construction, national defense and communications.
Critical labor union functions: Labor union essential activities including the administration of health and welfare funds and personnel checking on the well-being and safety of members providing services within an essential business provided the well-being checks are done remotely or by telephone when possible.
Hotels and motels: To the extent used for lodging and delivery or carry-out food services.
Funeral services: Funeral, mortuary, cremation, burial, cemetery and related services.”

I went back to the original article from the Florida Realtors Association and re-read the guidance. I originally read it as the FL Governor had approved Real Estate sales & title work as essential services, when in fact, it stated the FRA had requested the Governor consider these essential services. So, it looks like we’ll find out if this is approved when & if FL enacts shelter in place. I can tell you this article did state Realtors MUST follow CDC guidelines as far as social distancing etc..
I apologize for the confusion & thank you for clarifying.

Have a great day & stay safe & healthy.

Last edited by BrevardREALTOR; 03-24-2020 at 01:37 AM.. Reason: Updated Information & typo

Old 03-24-2020, 05:12 AM

1,180 posts, read 1,682,011 times
In NY, where we are in a stay at home state, my realtor friends are not working. Not sure if that is all of them, but just a small sampling. Homes are listed for sale, just not sure how many are closing in the current situation. Open houses have completely stopped and I imagine showings are done remotely with phone video, if at all. I personally would not want strangers walking in my house at a time like this.
Our focus now is still keeping people away from others. And of course getting much needed masks, gowns and ventilators. Jacob Javitz Center is being converted to a 1,000 bed hospital as are several university gyms. Scary stuff.

Old 03-24-2020, 06:46 AM

351 posts, read 320,873 times
Florida is behind the curve in dealing with the reality of this virus. Here is what CA has done.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/03/...s-open-houses/

The California Association of Realtors told its members Friday to stop all face-to-face sales activities including showings, listing appointments, open houses and property inspections due to coronavirus concerns.

Thursday’s “stay at home” order from Gov. Gavin Newsom did not exempt home selling, the association noted. The order aims to keep more people away from each other and help limit the spread of coronavirus.

Only “essential” industries can continue to operate, the order says. That includes home construction, the association noted. In recent weeks the industry had been trying to sell existing homes with lots of hand sanitizer and “social distancing” before Newsom upped restrictions.

“This supersedes all existing local city and county orders that are less restrictive,” the association states in its advisory. “Clients and other consumers are also subject to these orders and should not be v
isiting properties or conducting other business in person.”

Old 03-30-2020, 09:08 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,169,570 times
Did ya'll see the cars backed up for miles on 95 yesterday at the check point? For God's sake people stay home! Don't come to Florida. We are not a vacation state right now. We are not refuge from staying in in your own state. At least some were turned away. Wonder where they went since most hotels along the interstate in Ga, SC and NC are closed .

We are still getting the cruise ship with 4 dead and 138 sick passengers in Ft. Lauderdale. They were allowed to come through the Panama Canal. The mayor wants to deny entry and if that happens Canaveral is the next port. Our numbers of covid-19 cases in Florida has gone up by about 1000 everyday last week. Still have only tested less than 500 here in Brevard. As of about 10 minutes ago all of my husbands doctors pushed back his appointments and cancelled a sonogram and blood tests till June unless it looks some better in May. Ordered him not to bring some papers in to the office since they are not seeing patients. Skyping if emergency.

If you get sick here you will not get tested unless they think you are dying! They send you home and say call when you can't breathe. Regular medical care is pretty much nil.

If you did not bring food with you, how are you going to quarantine yourselves on arrival? You should not shop to get food and supplies and expose more people to the virus if you happen to be carrying it on you without knowing it is there. But last weeks 3000 arrivals hit our stores, bragged about just getting here, and think they are on vacation. NOT!

Parks are closed! Stores are closed! No theaters.movies,bowling allies. sports. etc. going on here. No short term rentals are allowed-even if you have reservations for April! Snow birds already here can finish their rentals but then are supposed to leave. I have no problem with them extending their rentals where they are because they are already here. Some of them already are in our hospitals though because they have continued to vacation.

I find it intimidating the way hand guns and rifles have been selling. I find it intimidating that my son's company has suggested that they take a carry class so they can have their weapons for protection for their staff if need be. Hope it is ever needed.

And for goodness sake stay home so we can get back to normal. Let's get this country well so Disney can open up some of its parks and hotels. Let's get better for our own selfish reasons.......for me it is so my son and his dog aren't forced to move home because money has run out with no pay coming in. And lets stay home so my other son and dil do not catch this at their store or hospital. Please don't make my DIL have to decide who lives and dies. It would destroy her. Off my soap box.......praying for all of you and the whole world. Especially praying for my cousin's 17 year old grandaughter that is on life support in Denmark right now as her parents both doctors work long days and nights to try to get others well and not expose their other 3 kids.

Old 03-30-2020, 02:49 PM

2,746 posts, read 1,780,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
Did ya'll see the cars backed up for miles on 95 yesterday at the check point? For God's sake people stay home! Don't come to Florida. We are not a vacation state right now. We are not refuge from staying in in your own state. At least some were turned away. Wonder where they went since most hotels along the interstate in Ga, SC and NC are closed .

We are still getting the cruise ship with 4 dead and 138 sick passengers in Ft. Lauderdale. They were allowed to come through the Panama Canal. The mayor wants to deny entry and if that happens Canaveral is the next port. Our numbers of covid-19 cases in Florida has gone up by about 1000 everyday last week. Still have only tested less than 500 here in Brevard. As of about 10 minutes ago all of my husbands doctors pushed back his appointments and cancelled a sonogram and blood tests till June unless it looks some better in May. Ordered him not to bring some papers in to the office since they are not seeing patients. Skyping if emergency.

If you get sick here you will not get tested unless they think you are dying! They send you home and say call when you can't breathe. Regular medical care is pretty much nil.

If you did not bring food with you, how are you going to quarantine yourselves on arrival? You should not shop to get food and supplies and expose more people to the virus if you happen to be carrying it on you without knowing it is there. But last weeks 3000 arrivals hit our stores, bragged about just getting here, and think they are on vacation. NOT!

Parks are closed! Stores are closed! No theaters.movies,bowling allies. sports. etc. going on here. No short term rentals are allowed-even if you have reservations for April! Snow birds already here can finish their rentals but then are supposed to leave. I have no problem with them extending their rentals where they are because they are already here. Some of them already are in our hospitals though because they have continued to vacation.

I find it intimidating the way hand guns and rifles have been selling. I find it intimidating that my son's company has suggested that they take a carry class so they can have their weapons for protection for their staff if need be. Hope it is ever needed.

And for goodness sake stay home so we can get back to normal. Let's get this country well so Disney can open up some of its parks and hotels. Let's get better for our own selfish reasons.......for me it is so my son and his dog aren't forced to move home because money has run out with no pay coming in. And lets stay home so my other son and dil do not catch this at their store or hospital. Please don't make my DIL have to decide who lives and dies. It would destroy her. Off my soap box.......praying for all of you and the whole world. Especially praying for my cousin's 17 year old grandaughter that is on life support in Denmark right now as her parents both doctors work long days and nights to try to get others well and not expose their other 3 kids.
can't rep you again but good post. Good luck with all of the health related issues, wishing you and your family the best.

Old 03-31-2020, 07:44 AM

264 posts, read 337,669 times
Quote:
For God's sake people stay home!

AMEN.

As much as I would love to be down there in the warm weather instead of here in the cold, rainy, PA weather, we are not going to risk ourselves or anyone else just to come down.

People need to get over themselves.

We have trips scheduled for May and July, and if this doesn't get better, they will both be canceled and we will return when it's safe to do so.

Old 03-31-2020, 08:46 AM

210 posts, read 276,927 times
Quote:

So sorry to hear about your cousins's granddaughter. I will be praying for her full recovery.

Old 03-31-2020, 08:03 PM

166 posts, read 352,784 times
Quote:

People should not be traveling now. Stay safe and healthy all. Good post Rabflmom

Old 03-31-2020, 09:05 PM

2,026 posts, read 2,774,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamingofSunshine View Post
People should not be traveling now. Stay safe and healthy all. Good post Rabflmom
People can have million legitimate reasons for traveling. Even though there are a few common reasons (vacationing, escape, sales trip) that are in observers minds, there are many other reasons too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Brevard County