Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 12:59 PM

10,177 posts, read 20,798,736 times

Advertisements

It's not really backwards. UFC has been gaining a lot of ground and a lot of popularity, mostly among casual fight fans who just want to see blood. Not all of them are in that great of shape either. They may look good, but many of them have limited endurance. Probably due to a high protein diet which many of them follow in order to put on muscle mass. Boxing still has an edge over MMA right now, but it's losing ground. Hopefully the freak show which is MMA will die down once everyone realizes it's simple over-hyped ****-fighting at best.

Steward has helped to improve Vladmir, however he won't get any better than he is now. Most European fighters have a stand up style with little if any head movement. They plod forward and land heavy punches. Right now it seems to be enough, I think their size is what is giving them the advantage right now. With basic skills, good conditioning and coming in at 6'7" 245, you're bound to win a few fights in the HW division. Until a new Tyson, Holyfield or Lewis comes along.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 09:48 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,802,151 times
I don't think that we'll see another American heavyweight like Tyson in his prime. Let's face it, a boxing career for a young athlete is not as attractive as it once was. Why would a world class athlete in, say, Philadelphia spend all of his free time in a gym, living like a monk and eating a terrible and disciplined diet while training to be a fighter when he can pursue a basketball or football fantasy with a lot less time investment that includes a free education, bigger potential payoffs and an overall higher quality of life? Boxing isn't the best way out of the projects anymore. The motivation isn't there for the top talent to get into the sport and stick with it.

American boxing died with the viability of the American blue-collar culture. We aren't a tough nation any more.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:17 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,936,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
As always Alexus I totally agree with your posts when it comes to boxing. I think it big part of the problem in addition to them being robotic one dimensional fighters, is that they bring with them their f'd up European promoters who so corrupt they make Don King look like an alter boy.

WTF is up with them? Cant believe they would even THINK of signing a deal with someone like a David Haye to fight anyways. They seem to be staying away from Americans who have skills. I know James Toney, Ive seen him train, Ive seen his skills. Even puffed up the way he is I know that he would destroy both c.l.i.tchkos even though he'd be giving up almost a foot in height but they avoid him.

WTF is up with the WBC? Oleg Maskaev is the #1 challenger? I mean really? WTF is up with the WBA? Valuev is your champion? I mean really? And the mandatory challenger is John Ruiz? JOHN RUIZ? Geez.
Come on now give the Klitskos some credit, james toney? Come on now! I agree that HW boxing is less desirable now than in days past, however some good heavey weights may have a spark to bring the division back, and to convincgly take out the Klitchko Brothers (at least Vlad):

David Haye
Chirs Arreloa
Eddie CHambers

Old 07-01-2009, 08:05 AM

10,177 posts, read 20,798,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool rob View Post
Come on now give the Klitskos some credit, james toney? Come on now! I agree that HW boxing is less desirable now than in days past, however some good heavey weights may have a spark to bring the division back, and to convincgly take out the Klitchko Brothers (at least Vlad):

David Haye
Chirs Arreloa
Eddie CHambers
Are you serious? Chris Arreola? This guy is beating up C class fighters and his tank runs dry halfway through the fight. There is no way Arreola can take out Vlad in the condition he is in right now. He comes into the ring fat and out of shape and no better skill than any other HW. Haye is small but his boxing ability might be enough to offset his size, we'll see what happens if and when he fights Vitali.

Old 07-01-2009, 10:03 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,936,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Are you serious? Chris Arreola? This guy is beating up C class fighters and his tank runs dry halfway through the fight. There is no way Arreola can take out Vlad in the condition he is in right now. He comes into the ring fat and out of shape and no better skill than any other HW. Haye is small but his boxing ability might be enough to offset his size, we'll see what happens if and when he fights Vitali.
True Arreloa does look real sloppy, but one good shot to Vlad aka glass joe chin and it's curtains. You saw how Samuel Peter knocked Vlad down with his power. Vlad just has great defense, and the right hand is killer. If Vlad can get him past the 6th round, it's Vlads fight, now I think Vitali is going to be hard to take out. Even Lennox had trouble with him

Old 07-03-2009, 03:46 PM

237 posts, read 1,111,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Positiveone View Post
Theres no good competition in the heavyweight division at all. Sucks! I say Klitscho wins within 8 rds, if not then a boring decision. I miss the Tyson days!! And Haye is too small to hang in there with the russians.
I agree with you. I thought that when the big Klitscho brothers arrived they would provide the 1-2 punch to dominate the heavy weight division. I miss the fighters with both skill and HEART. I only see that now with the little guys.

Old 07-04-2009, 02:16 PM

1,639 posts, read 5,103,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
I don't think that we'll see another American heavyweight like Tyson in his prime. Let's face it, a boxing career for a young athlete is not as attractive as it once was. Why would a world class athlete in, say, Philadelphia spend all of his free time in a gym, living like a monk and eating a terrible and disciplined diet while training to be a fighter when he can pursue a basketball or football fantasy with a lot less time investment that includes a free education, bigger potential payoffs and an overall higher quality of life? Boxing isn't the best way out of the projects anymore. The motivation isn't there for the top talent to get into the sport and stick with it.

American boxing died with the viability of the American blue-collar culture. We aren't a tough nation any more.
This is a good point......the lack of quality heavyweight talent starts from the amateur ranks, and there is a serious lack of amateur boxing programs in this country right now. Boxing has had such a bad rap with Don King ripping off everbody and corrupt ranking organizations that there is nothing to recommend to a kid whose options include MMA, football or basketball.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing