Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 08:12 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,407,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella41683 View Post
Greetings,

My fiance and I have been doing a lot of research about Colorado as we are hoping to move there in June. One town that seems simply amazing is Nederland. We enjoy the community of a small town and are from VT originally, see "being hippies!". We love the outdoors and want to be far away from the hustle and bustle of large town. We've spent 3 years in Austin, TX and we ARE NOT city people.

Though I've found some information online about Nederland I'm hoping people who live or have lived there could give some insight. I found an old post but it was from 2006, I would like the most recent impressions.

The hardest issue I'm having is finding anything out about housing, we're hoping to rent a house for a year before possibly buying.

I have a good job that will allow me to work from home so employment isn't an issue.

Thanks for any input, also if anyone has pictures I'd love to see them!

Thanks!
Myshell

Homes in Nederland:
$89,000

$129,900

$165,000

$207,000

$224,000

$284,900

Here is some sample of the dwellings in Nederland. To look at the full list go
to REcolorado.com - brought to you by Metrolist Inc.. Put in the property type field: residential, city field: Nederland. This is the official MLS Real Estate site.

Livecontent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2008, 10:55 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
What a hoot, livecontent!

I do not live in Nederland, but I live in Boulder County and can tell you a little about it. Most working people work in Boulder. It is about 1/2 hr to Boulder from Nederland. There is a small ski area there, Eldora. My friends from the east tell me it's better than most of the eastern ski areas. There is a complete K-12 school program there and Nederland is part of the Boulder Valley School District, a well regarded district.

Just what else do you want to know about Nederland?

Old 01-12-2008, 11:13 PM

Pittnurse, I really did not mean it as funny; I was just trying to be helpful and picked them at random--but now when I look at the pictures--they are hilarious for the price.

How about these

$279,000

$275,000

or this one $225,000, built in 1900, 538 sq. ft, 1 bedroom, 0 as in zero bathrooms but it does have 3.51 acres

Livecontent

Old 01-13-2008, 04:13 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,289,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
Pittnurse, I really did not mean it as funny; I was just trying to be helpful and picked them at random--but now when I look at the pictures--they are hilarious for the price.

How about these

$279,000

$275,000

or this one $225,000, built in 1900, 538 sq. ft, 1 bedroom, 0 as in zero bathrooms but it does have 3.51 acres

Livecontent
it almost looks like, in nederland, house value depends on siding/foliage and shape more than anything else. maybe to protect against the wind?

Old 01-13-2008, 11:53 PM

You know, I just noticed . . . the 1900 house, with 1 BR and zero baths for $225,000 has a blooming bush in the picture that must have been taken n the spring. Thus, it has been on the market for about 9 mos now. Wonder why?

Old 01-14-2008, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
You know, I just noticed . . . the 1900 house, with 1 BR and zero baths for $225,000 has a blooming bush in the picture that must have been taken n the spring. Thus, it has been on the market for about 9 mos now. Wonder why?
Yes, that is interesting but it could have been planted when the "out house" filled up, and it just keeps blooming with all the good plant food.

Yea, did you know, when indoor plumbing replaced the "out house" that many times they took down that little building and planted a tree in the hole.
So, when you go to very old homes and see a huge old tree--that is well fed, then you know where the outhouse was located.

Livecontent

Old 01-14-2008, 07:52 AM

Point well taken, LOL! My original point was that the house had been on the market for a while, since the realtor took the picture when the plant was blooming and it's now mid-winter. So we both noted something interesting about that house.

Old 01-14-2008, 06:44 PM

8 posts, read 34,153 times
1. people with kids really do last only a couple of years in these towns, unless they can live up there and never have to go to town
2. you can't get high-speed internet in many of the mountain houses, particularly outside the towns
3. it is murder on your vehicle
4. the commute from Ned to Denver is not something I would ever sign up for
5. Ned housing is WAY overpriced for what you get. If you're OK with being in the mountains but not in Ned itself, you will get a lot more house for less money. Of course, then you are more isolated, and you can expect to be snowed in to your house for a couple of days probably once a year.
6. there's a reason we call the Eldora ski resort "Windora"
7. the resale market for mountain housing is very soft: long time on the market, much lower price.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninko View Post
Many people move to Ned and other mountain communities and move away within a few years. Others have already told you why! The people with kids really are often the first to go; the endless driving up and down the canyon is a big, big drag. You would have to really hate yourself to commute to Denver from Ned.

Add to the list, the difficulty of getting reliable Internet service in many of the mountain houses, particularly outside the towns.
Yes, you are very correct. My sister lives up a Canyon, west of Boulder. Her young teenage son hates it. He cannot see his friends without his parents driving him; he cannot hang out at the corner store--cause there is none.
After school sports and activities are a nightmare of driving up and down the canyon. And just wait until he drives too fast, with youthful vigor, down the mountain roads. Of course, he wants a motorcycle.

People who come here get enamored with living in the mountains but do not know the basic problems.

Many properties have problems with water and it has to be trucked in by tanker. Everything you buy cost more because of the delivery. Properties are easy targets for theft. There are no sewers, so septic systems are the norm and if your neighbor does not maintain his, then it seeps into your well. There is no gas lines--all fuels have to be delivered.

Poor internet or no internet. Poor cell or no cell. Most power lines and cable, if it exist, are strung, not buried, and are liable to interrruptions. There are dangers of forest fires--you got to keep your property clear of trees near the house. If their is an emergency, it takes time to get the police or you to the hospital.

In the area where my sister lives--people love to let their dogs run free--they form packs. I stopped my car because I thought I blew a tire and got out, withn a minute I was surrounded by 4 dogs howling and snarling. Yea, such a nice area. These same people cry when their precious pets are eaten by an occassional lion.

Oh, you think that some of these communities and areas are all rich nice people with manners. You, have not run into the drunks, the drugged, the outcasts, and misantropic freaks who can make your life dangerous.

And on top of all this--it is much colder; the roads get blocked and are difficult. You need a more expensive vehicle. Certainly you cannot live a simple life without a car. So you live in the mountains?? stores are not close; gas is getting more expensive. So, as you say, people learn and leave.

Not my ideal place to
Livecontent

Old 01-14-2008, 07:32 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,289,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
Yes, you are very correct. My sister lives up a Canyon, west of Boulder. Her young teenage son hates it. He cannot see his friends without his parents driving him; he cannot hang out at the corner store--cause there is none.
After school sports and activities are a nightmare of driving up and down the canyon. And just wait until he drives too fast, with youthful vigor, down the mountain roads. Of course, he wants a motorcycle.

People who come here get enamored with living in the mountains but do not know the basic problems.

Many properties have problems with water and it has to be trucked in by tanker. Everything you buy cost more because of the delivery. Properties are easy targets for theft. There are no sewers, so septic systems are the norm and if your neighbor does not maintain his, then it seeps into your well. There is no gas lines--all fuels have to be delivered.

Poor internet or no internet. Poor cell or no cell. Most power lines and cable, if it exist, are strung, not buried, and are liable to interrruptions. There are dangers of forest fires--you got to keep your property clear of trees near the house. If their is an emergency, it takes time to get the police or you to the hospital.

In the area where my sister lives--people love to let their dogs run free--they form packs. I stopped my car because I thought I blew a tire and got out, withn a minute I was surrounded by 4 dogs howling and snarling. Yea, such a nice area. These same people cry when their precious pets are eaten by an occassional lion.

Oh, you think that some of these communities and areas are all rich nice people with manners. You, have not run into the drunks, the drugged, the outcasts, and misantropic freaks who can make your life dangerous.

And on top of all this--it is much colder; the roads get blocked and are difficult. You need a more expensive vehicle. Certainly you cannot live a simple life without a car. So you live in the mountains?? stores are not close; gas is getting more expensive. So, as you say, people learn and leave.

Not my ideal place to
Livecontent
i knew someone that bought a place in the mountains practically sight unseen other than the view ("the view's worth it! so what if everyone does other things - we're DIFFERENT! we're sorta MOUNTAIN people."). they'd grown up in cities. and the wife was home alone a lot, while leaving the doors unlocked, even open. (bears? burglers? worse?) they worked in denver, when not traveling. seemed like several regrets waiting to happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area