Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2022, 11:29 AM

46 posts, read 54,398 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a place to move to with my wife and kids. I'm keying in on areas to visit in a few weeks and I really like the looks of Superior, Colorado.
- Good schools
- Location close to Denver and Boulder, not too far from potential jobs and adventure
- Looks like a family friendly area, suburb with lots of kids
- Can find a comfortable place (for a family of 4) for <$800k ish

What are the pros and cons of living in Superior?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2022, 12:11 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,047,257 times
We lived in Louisville, right next door, for about ten years. I agree with your overall assessment. There are lots of outdoor activities, and it's a family-friendly area. Denver area traffic in general has gotten pretty bad, so I'll recommend trying some test commutes to areas you expect to find work.

I assume you are aware of the fires that hit the area in late 2021? The western parts of Superior (and parts of Louisville) were hit pretty hard, mostly the older part of the town, plus some of the retail in that area. There will be lots of construction traffic in the area for years into the future.

If you're not familiar with the Front Range, note that the weather is erratic. This is both good and bad, in my estimation. Good in the sense that you don't get tend to get weeks of bitter cold in the winter with no relief. There are always some days where it's warmer and sunny. On the bad side is the frequent high winds in the fall and winter, and to a much lesser extent the occasional freakish storm that drops 2+ feet of snow (not every year, though).

One other note... when we were house hunting our real estate agent steered us toward Louisville instead of Superior. I honestly don't remember the reason. Over the years I did hear some talk about expansive soils in Superior, but I'd expect any such problems would be evident by now (on a house by house basis).

Old 09-08-2022, 12:27 PM

8,940 posts, read 20,364,639 times
I guess you have lived in "winter" conditions before? It can/does get freezing cold. We live north of Superior, but, one morning (7AM) this past April, it was minus 12 degrees (-12) and, last year (Mar/April 2021) we, in northern Colorado, wound up with 28 inches of snow within two days.

And, you do know, and if not, I will let you know, that the I-25 traffic is getting worse and worse. I'm fully retired and my wife works from home, so we have nothing to worry about. But, at times it can be like being in Los Angeles traffic.

Old 09-08-2022, 12:38 PM

Thanks for the responses! Very helpful.
As far as weather/climate goes, is this area (Superior/Louisville) a lot colder than other areas around Denver? Sorry if this is a goofy question, but I'm not familiar with the different areas (Front Range vs others) and microclimates if there are any.
We grew up in Chicago so we know the very cold weather, but we live now in the Bay Area. We prefer not to have gloomy/freezing winters for long periods, but understand some of that may come with living in Colorado.

Old 09-08-2022, 12:58 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,879,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godhand123 View Post
As far as weather/climate goes, is this area (Superior/Louisville) a lot colder than other areas around Denver? Sorry if this is a goofy question, but I'm not familiar with the different areas (Front Range vs others) and microclimates if there are any.
We grew up in Chicago so we know the very cold weather, but we live now in the Bay Area. We prefer not to have gloomy/freezing winters for long periods, but understand some of that may come with living in Colorado.
Winters here really aren't gloomy at all. Occasionally cold and very snowy, yes, but also fairly sunny.

Do not discount the wind. The closer you are to the foothills, the more likely you are to be impacted by Chinook winds. They're usually 45-60mph, but in extreme cases they can gust as high as 100mph. Chinook winds gusting around 100mph were responsible for driving the Marshall Fire. Not to be alarmist, but with climate change, I think there's a strong chance we see situations like that occurring more frequently in the wildland-urban interfaces near the foothills along the Front Range.

Old 09-08-2022, 01:00 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,047,257 times
Quote:
It's not continuously cold and cloudy like midwest winters (I grew up in the midwest).

I doubt there's much difference in temperatures across the Denver-Boulder area. I believe the wind is worse as you move west and get closer to the foothills. There are more than a few high wind days each year, and on the worst days the gusts can hit 60mph to over 100mph.

I haven't seen the area since the 2021 fire. You'd certainly want to drive around to see how you feel about it. Of course it will eventually get rebuilt, but I expect this will take at least 5-10 years.

Old 09-08-2022, 02:28 PM

Very good points about fires and wind. That's enough to get me to move further east. Much appreciated!

Old 09-08-2022, 02:56 PM

8,940 posts, read 20,364,639 times
We have experienced some inches of snow on Halloween week. We had never seen outdoor Halloween decor covered in snow before moving to Colorado in 2002. That snow doesn't happen every year, but we have seen it happen.

Old 09-09-2022, 11:13 AM

Do the fires and high winds affect Golden Colorado as well? How about Broomfield?

Old 09-09-2022, 11:17 AM

8,603 posts, read 14,879,404 times
Quote:
Do the fires and high winds affect Golden Colorado as well? How about Broomfield?
Golden hasn't been impacted by wildfires (yet), but the town sits right at the foot of the hogback. High winds will happen there. Colorado 93 between Golden and Boulder is closed a couple times a year in the winter due to high winds.

Broomfield is just east and south of the Marshall Fire area. There was some concern about the fire spreading into the northwestern part of Broomfield, but the winds died down and it didn't move that far east.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area