Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2021, 08:42 PM

15 posts, read 18,413 times

Advertisements

I have a small place in Mapleton area, so walkable to pearl street mall.

Im looking for another place in the US if it gets too hot or dry for me in Boulder (plus I like to travel).

Someplace walkable, maybe on a lake, cool / low humidity is preferred with no horrible bugs.

San Juan Islands? SF is too pricey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2021, 09:56 PM

327 posts, read 211,476 times
Don’t get another home. Leave homes available to those who want one and never had one before. It’s people like you making homes in short supply.

Old 05-07-2021, 06:40 AM

1,190 posts, read 1,196,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floats View Post
I have a small place in Mapleton area, so walkable to pearl street mall.

Im looking for another place in the US if it gets too hot or dry for me in Boulder (plus I like to travel).

Someplace walkable, maybe on a lake, cool / low humidity is preferred with no horrible bugs.

San Juan Islands? SF is too pricey.
San Juan Is.?

Probably one of the wettest places in the country for 8 months of the year (like all of the PNW).

The summers definitely make up for those 8 months- I was stationed in Tacoma while in the USAF and loved it. I'd look at places like Vashon Is. to be closer to things to do.

The new administration is looking at massive tax hikes to fund their agendas- 2nd homes are on the table for loss of any tax breaks you may get or increasing taxes on those properties. Let's hope so- like Nacho stated the rules need to change to make housing more affordable for "the little guy".

Old 05-08-2021, 10:23 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,707,756 times
Wow. Some people just never have enough for all their wants.

I hope the tax breaks for any homes other than one residence do get axed. Still can own more, but less incentive for house collectors.

Old 05-08-2021, 08:29 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,706,635 times
Ouch lots of judgement in this thread. Live and let live.

Old 05-08-2021, 09:37 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,732 posts, read 58,079,686 times
I would choose Bellingham / Fairhaven (Washington's Boulder, very, very nice to have Canada
so close, as well as Bellingham is the southern terminal of Alaska Marine Highway. ), . Southwest Air is adding BLI this yr.

If you travel internationally, Vancouver BC has lots of great direct flights to Europe and Asia

Steilacoom is also a nice town near SEA TAC. or Olympia may suit if you want larger city.

San Juan is an excellent choice and in Rain Shadow, = less precip, but still cloudy. Everett is a close airport and adding flights. I lived on an island in Canada, and being dependent on ferries is time consuming and expensive. A Boulder friend keeps a light aircraft in Anacortes WA, and flies to his island home.

All my second homes are rented out, as is my primary home. I live in the slave qtrs / bunkhouse. I keep homes in desirable, view, rural destinations with varied climate and seasons. None cost more than $150k. I keep a $35 junker car at each home and fly between them (deductible expense). All are <1 hr from a major airport.

Sandpoint, ID is a possibility, but would be warmer and potential wildfire area in late summer.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 05-08-2021 at 09:49 PM..

Old 05-09-2021, 07:08 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,579,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
Ouch lots of judgement in this thread. Live and let live.
That’s just it. All the house collectors aren’t letting others live.

Old 05-09-2021, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
That’s just it. All the house collectors aren’t letting others live.
So all the people buying food at the grocery store are the cause of starvation? C’mon man.

This thread reeks of envy.

Old 05-09-2021, 08:33 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,579,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
So all the people buying food at the grocery store are the cause of starvation? C’mon man.

This thread reeks of envy.
No, more like the toilet paper hoarders created the shortage like what happened last year.

Old 05-09-2021, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
No, more like the toilet paper hoarders created the shortage like what happened last year.
So let me get this straight...people wanting second homes are buying starter homes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area