Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2021, 04:13 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,004,579 times

Advertisements

There seems to be a false presumption that everyone desires (deserves?) to buy a home.

My economics instruction (in all of life) clearly demonstrates what a poor investment a primary residence can be.

I have rented instead of buying before, and will certainly be a renter in the end. My tenants agree, and always have the opportunity to buy my residences at greatly reduced prices. Very few choose to buy, especially retiree tenants. (They too have learned the noose a home can be).

Subject: WHERE to get a 2nd home?

1) where you desire. (Weather, family, climate, activities, quietness, good neighbors....)
2) where you can easily access, or pay someone to maintain.
2) where you can afford (if money is any concern)
3) where property can cash flow (if necessary)
4) where you can resell (if something comes up forcing you to sell)

Similar reasons for your 1st house - 100th house. (If you so need or desire)

An international destination would be my first choice, as the USA has obviously demonstrated it's benefits(?) in the past year.

OP (currently Boulder) requests cooler, wetter (but not humid), lakes, convenient to travel.
Switzerland, Bavaria, Scotland come to mind, tho Estes Park would be closer. (BTDT)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2021, 03:04 PM

15 posts, read 18,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyupgrl View Post
Wow - serious judgement on this thread.

OP - what months do you see yourself traveling outside of the Boulder area most frequently?
July when it’s hottest.

Old 05-17-2021, 11:58 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,573,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyupgrl View Post
So weird, my 2.7 college GPA never came up when I was buying my house
Interesting, my college GPA was one of the critical determining factors in graduating with minimal debt and getting an entry-level career track that actually paid enough to save for a down payment. Some of the accounts that still show up in my credit check had conditions tied to my GPA. My lender didn’t ask, but my broker pried a little after a couple drinks because clients in their 20s are so rare.

Old 05-18-2021, 02:59 PM

2,474 posts, read 2,693,917 times
A good GPA will help you get tuition assistance, but it won’t help you get a mortgage.

Old 05-18-2021, 03:52 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,004,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floats View Post
July when it’s hottest.
Alaska = long days and nice July temps (or Queenstown NZ for winter temps and snow skiing)

Old 05-18-2021, 07:17 PM

1,190 posts, read 1,194,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Alaska = long days and nice July temps (or Queenstown NZ for winter temps and snow skiing)
Yep- had a great time skiing the South Island (Coronet Peak) in July- still does not compare to Colorado snow in our winter.

Knew a lot of people that would work here in winter then head back to OZ/NZ and would just go back/forth every year skiing- I wish!!

What the "progressive" nations like Australia make you do ( if you want to immigrate ) is to make you pay a $1 million bond before allowing you entry to the country if you want to retire there. If you are old and get sick the bond pays for your medical care- why should a retiree that paid -0- into the "free" healthcare system get free healthcare if they never paid into it?

Maybe the USA can require the same thing eventually- sounds like a fair plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area