Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2021, 08:18 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,397,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
Are you saying that Boulder is expensive because of a "far left agenda"? Isn't it expensive because of its desirability, desirable location, and the fact that it is also an university town? Doesn't this combination lead to homelessness in the real world? Are you saying that "far right towns" are less desirable, expensive and not prone to homelessness since they are affordable? Not getting your point in the least.
It is expensive because of the all things you list as well as its far left politics. For example, Boulder city and county have near zero growth development polices that severely limit construction and place considerable overlays on any construction that make it much more expensive than neighboring counties. They have laws in place, such as no more than 4 unrelated adults can live together, that further drive the need for more housing, but the growth policies limit needed growth, so the natural result is escalating rents and mortgage prices.

We don't need to get in to things like the proposal to dna test stray dog poop found in public places to identify violators of scoop your poop programs. their ban on plastic straws and any other polices they have that may not make national news, but make many of us nearby chuckle.

Far right towns are no less prone to having poor policies and homelessness either, but they do usually tend to have relaxed growth polices that allow construction to proceed in ways to help keep housing costs down. That doesn't mean it happens with purpose or is part of a master plan tat makes sense and it does create sprawl, but it typically keeps housing costs down compared to all the rules and regulations one will encounter in Boulder.

We also shouldn't say that everyone in Boulder is anti-self-defense or against owning firearms, but they are a definite minority. Was that any part of the motivation for the shooter choosing Boulder...right now we don't know.

Old 03-25-2021, 08:29 AM

1,710 posts, read 1,464,731 times
The fathers FB page was full of anti-Trump/Clinton/Bush etc foreign policy. Saying the US supports zionism bla bla bla.

Wife has a friend who has a kid around the same age as the shooter and went to the same high school...was not bullied, not a loner.

The narrative went from crazy white guy, to bullied muslim....lets see if the truth ever gets out.

Old 03-25-2021, 10:07 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,417,425 times
I actually know quite a few people from Boulder or that have lived there at some point. Thankfully their families and freinds in Boulder are ok. Still a very sad situation though. Always sad to hear about this happening. Sorry this happened to you Boulder, you are in our thoughts and prayers.

Old 03-25-2021, 10:58 AM

157 posts, read 137,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
Yes, and notice how the media is down playing that he is Muslim Syrian born, and avoiding all reference that he was radicalized. Only that he had psychological issues...
Yeah, he was on the FBI watchlist, this is a federal terrorist case. He's going to Florence (i'll be upset if not). The media is making this out like its a typical colorado domestic thing. Wonder what the FBI was preoccupied with for the past 4 years?

Last edited by Denverpro; 03-25-2021 at 11:15 AM..

Old 03-25-2021, 11:43 AM

12,054 posts, read 8,443,775 times
I see on a popular message board based in Chicago they are calling this, "Another mass murder by a white man." OMG,
I thought, "They haven't gotten all the news yet." But no, they were up to date. Apparently there's a new trend to label some citizens of western Asia and northern Africa "white people." Caucasians. But certainly with an admixture of African and Levantine genes?

That's really going to confuse the data. People sound absolutely gleeful about it. It's a football game! Who's going to win?

I guess you can be whatever race you say you are until too many people decide you aren't? Maybe it's time to stop counting crimes by race and just realize that troubled young men need help or they are dangerous to society.

Old 03-25-2021, 12:11 PM

26,229 posts, read 49,085,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denverpro View Post
Yeah, he was on the FBI watchlist, ....
That's the intriguing part for me . . . he was a person on the FBI Watch List and STILL able to get a firearm? I suspect it will be weeks, or months, before that data is publicly disclosed.

I wonder if the FBI Watch List and the TSA No Fly List are one and the same or siblings of a sort with the same rules for firearm access. If they aren't one and the same or if they have differing meanings for firearm access then I think we have a problem. If a person is on one list then shouldn't they be on both lists? Do the FBI and TSA share data? If not, why not? Do both of these lists apply to anyone on the planet, or only to U.S. citizens, or a mix? So much I/we don't know about our own laws and how they are to be applied and how well they are applied in actual practice.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 03-25-2021, 01:10 PM

2,175 posts, read 4,303,754 times
Seems the FBI has been dropping the ball lately. First, the Capitol riot and now this.

Maybe we need a new gov't agency to coordinate things. Oh wait, that's why Homeland Security was created.

Old 03-25-2021, 06:11 PM

6,771 posts, read 5,071,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
That's the intriguing part for me . . . he was a person on the FBI Watch List and STILL able to get a firearm? I suspect it will be weeks, or months, before that data is publicly disclosed.
I'd be surprised if being on a watch list is justification for denying a firearm purchase, but one would hope the FBI is notified of the purchase in real time.

Old 03-25-2021, 06:12 PM

15,426 posts, read 9,107,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denverpro View Post
Yeah, he was on the FBI watchlist, this is a federal terrorist case. He's going to Florence (i'll be upset if not). The media is making this out like its a typical colorado domestic thing. Wonder what the FBI was preoccupied with for the past 4 years?
I believe that has been debunked.

Quote:
Using law enforcement databases, the affidavit said, investigators determined Alissa had purchased a Ruger AR556 pistol on March 16. A law enforcement official told CNN Alissa was not previously the subject of any FBI investigation and said it appears nothing in the federal system would have prohibited Alissa from buying a firearm.
Here's what we know about the Boulder mass shooting suspect Ahmad Al Aliwi Alissa

Some reports I have read, said that he might have been associated with someone on the FBI terrorism watch list. But even those reports don't seem to have much credibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area