Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2021, 11:50 PM

8 posts, read 20,198 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I live in NJ and my wife and I are starting to think about where we'd like to retire. We love Colorado (have visited several times to Boulder and Breckenridge), and have been thinking about the Boulder suburbs.

Is Broomfield a nice area for retirees? It seems a little less expensive than some other areas like Louisville. I was looking at the Broadlands community as I enjoy golf. I've seen some townhomes on Zillow in that area that seem in our price range (Falls at Legend Trail I believe is the name). Is this a nice part of the Broadlands? Are there other nicer neighborhoods in Broomfield you'd recommend over Broadlands? Also, are there other towns that you would recommend instead of/in addition to Broomfield? We had looked at Centennial, Westminster, Erie, and Littleton (closer to Denver but I'd assume still drivable to Boulder). Some of these like Erie seem to be mainly large sfh's with way more square footage than we'd ever need. We're looking at places below 2000sf, townhouses are fine although we'd be open to a smaller detached home also if we could find one in our price range.

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2021, 05:59 AM

2,887 posts, read 7,137,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoverny View Post
Hi all, I live in NJ and my wife and I are starting to think about where we'd like to retire. We love Colorado (have visited several times to Boulder and Breckenridge), and have been thinking about the Boulder suburbs.

Is Broomfield a nice area for retirees? It seems a little less expensive than some other areas like Louisville. I was looking at the Broadlands community as I enjoy golf. I've seen some townhomes on Zillow in that area that seem in our price range (Falls at Legend Trail I believe is the name). Is this a nice part of the Broadlands? Are there other nicer neighborhoods in Broomfield you'd recommend over Broadlands? Also, are there other towns that you would recommend instead of/in addition to Broomfield? We had looked at Centennial, Westminster, Erie, and Littleton (closer to Denver but I'd assume still drivable to Boulder). Some of these like Erie seem to be mainly large sfh's with way more square footage than we'd ever need. We're looking at places below 2000sf, townhouses are fine although we'd be open to a smaller detached home also if we could find one in our price range.

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions!
Broomfield can be great for retired folks. Broadlands (and the surrounding, neighboring areas), is a safe, suburban community.

The greatest danger in Broomfield now has been falling pieces of airplane engine.

Old 02-23-2021, 10:43 AM

3,127 posts, read 5,056,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzco View Post
Broomfield can be great for retired folks. Broadlands (and the surrounding, neighboring areas), is a safe, suburban community.

The greatest danger in Broomfield now has been falling pieces of airplane engine.
But no one got hit! It was very interesting to watch the evolving posts on Nextdoor. People thought it was a sonic boom. Then gradually more and more people posted about seeing the explosion and/or falling debris.

Broadlands is a very nice area with alot of walking trails. Generally safe but there has been a large uptick in vehicle theft. I think it is happening in all areas due to the pandemic. You want to be sure to get something where you can park in the garage.

Shopping/grocery/hospitals (St. Anthony North is the closest and very easy to use the emergency room since it isn't that busy) are all nearby. The schools are good so you get parents that are concerned about their kids education. Many kids on nextdoor advertise to shovel snow, pick weeds and do yard clean up. The teenagers do the same but also offer heavy furniture moving and other services. Also alot of people helping each other out. Last summer people posted about getting the wildfire fighters support bags and kits with clean socks, water, energy bars etc. Great response. If there is a dog left out in the cold someone posts and people flock to the neighborhood to locate it and get help. Broomfield animal control is fantastic. Police seem pretty good also. Neighborhood support and response for someone in need is very good.

Uber is good for senior transport. There are plenty of rec centers to choose from but the closest is the Paul Derda rec center.
https://www.broomfield.org/339/Recre...enior-Services

Here is the Broomfield 2021 spring program guide. Normally these are loaded with classes, activities and special events. Senior trips are both local and away trips for vacations. Everything is cut down for the pandemic.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/18_flU_jMIvsXj0LEb0YAoKsrzqBQa8wA/view

You can also use senior services and rec centers for Westminster, Lafayette, Thornton and Northglenn very easily. They all have similar program guides with senior trips and activities.

The N line has train service to downtown. The closest station is the Eastlake station. The RTD bus system is also available to take you to the airport but you likely have to get to and from the Wagon Wheel bus pick up. Most people use a car service offered by their neighbors through Nextdoor or Uber/Lyft.

All the towns you listed have very nice housing option. On thing that makes the north area stand out is easy and close access to small historic downtowns with their associated festivals, farmers markets and non-chain eating areas. Longmont, Lafayette and Erie all have cute historic downtowns which provided great festival and restaurant options pre-pandemic.

One thing bad about the north area is that we have alot of residential fracking.

Happy to answer any questions as I live in the area.

Last edited by mic111; 02-23-2021 at 10:51 AM..

Old 02-23-2021, 11:35 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,421,074 times
Quote:
One thing bad about the north area is that we have alot of residential fracking.
Good point!

Old 02-23-2021, 12:57 PM

I took some pictures for you on my walk today.

This is McKay Lake.

Another view of McKay Lake. Called a lake but not that big. Not like you see in most of the country where there are real lakes. Fishing is allowed.

This is McKay Landing. You may have seen the condos/townhomes here.

This guy was running in shorts. I had a spring jacket on because it was really windy. I wasn't trying to take a picture of him but the background mountains. I figure he is pretty unrecognizable so it is OK to post it.

The building is Legacy High School in Broomfield. This is slightly east of the Broadlands.

Old 02-23-2021, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorges View Post
Good point!

Yeah, we were really bummed. Residents tried to fight it but oil and gas bought alot of ads and spent alot of money to get it approved. Prior to that I didn't have anything bad to say about the area. The pollution that the mega fracking sites produce affects the entire Denver metro area. I was surprised more people weren't on the side of clean air.

Old 02-23-2021, 03:06 PM

7,519 posts, read 13,631,320 times
Broomfield, being halfway between Boulder and Denver, has quick access to either by way of the Boulder Turnpike.

Also Broomfield is now its own County, so we don't have to go to Boulder for stuff like license plates, etc.

In addition to St Anthony North hospital, there is Good Samaritan, Avista, and the new UCHealth Broomfield nearby.

And there is Flatirons Mall and the 1stBank Events Center.

Check Broomfield's website for more details. https://www.broomfield.org/QuickLinks.aspx

Old 02-24-2021, 03:07 PM

2,887 posts, read 7,137,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
I took some pictures for you on my walk today.
This is McKay Lake. . .
Do you happen to have a photo of the resident horses? Saying hello to them is always an added attraction.

Old 02-24-2021, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzco View Post
Do you happen to have a photo of the resident horses? Saying hello to them is always an added attraction.
Not a recent one. Last I remember there was one horse and two donkeys. I've got some photos buried somewhere. They are so friendly. The donkeys come over to look for handouts and seem to enjoy being scritched.

I do have this coyote that popped up out of the bushes on one of the trails to the lake. :-)

Old 02-26-2021, 12:48 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,385,103 times
My cousin lives in Anthem Ranch, a 55 plus community that is sold out but there are resale homes on the market. She bought in the $400s a few years ago when she was in her late 60's but the home has appreciated to the mid $500s. The recreation center is nice and they offer lots of interesting lectures and programs. Most of her neighbors are from out of state or from outside the Denver area and moved to Broomfield to be close to their children and grandchildren in the Denver area. So the newcomers are very friendly and eager to meet people.

Previously my cousin lived nearby in Lafayette in a regular neighborhood with most of her neighbors at work all day so prefers Broomfield. I like her single story home but do not care for the backyard which is just one big open space with no walls and views of all your neighbors decks and yards. But that is probably typical for these types of communities.

Last edited by ABQ2015; 02-26-2021 at 01:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area