Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2020, 10:46 PM

1 posts, read 3,841 times

Advertisements

I moved out of my previous apartment in June of 2019, while the lease ended in August of 2019. I planned to pay utilities until the lease ended, but I completely forgot to cancel the account in August. I had already started paying utilities at my new apartment in June, so I never noticed that Xcel had merged both utility accounts. I just paid the bills in autopay. I noticed they were higher than normal, but I thought it was just because I was in a new apartment. Is there any way that I can be reimbursed for the bills I was paying while my lease had ended? I am not hopeful to get very far with my previous rental company as they were pretty terrible (apartment was out of heat and hot water for 2 months without fixing in the middle of winter, black mold and holes in ceiling from leaks they wouldn't fix, would not put locks on the patio doors, car and bike were vandalized there, never fixed the community laundry, etc.). Any help would be much appreciated.

Old 10-26-2020, 11:08 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,660,633 times
You've been making payments to Xcel, so I suggest you start by calling them. What would the rental company have to do with your electric payments to Xcel?

It's a bit strange that they would merge two accounts from two different addresses. I would assume that there has to be a way for them to know how much to charge at your new location. Too bad you've just figured this out over a year later.

Old 10-27-2020, 01:13 AM

2,105 posts, read 4,597,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_238 View Post
I moved out of my previous apartment in June of 2019, while the lease ended in August of 2019. I planned to pay utilities until the lease ended, but I completely forgot to cancel the account in August. I had already started paying utilities at my new apartment in June, so I never noticed that Xcel had merged both utility accounts. I just paid the bills in autopay. I noticed they were higher than normal, but I thought it was just because I was in a new apartment. Is there any way that I can be reimbursed for the bills I was paying while my lease had ended? I am not hopeful to get very far with my previous rental company as they were pretty terrible (apartment was out of heat and hot water for 2 months without fixing in the middle of winter, black mold and holes in ceiling from leaks they wouldn't fix, would not put locks on the patio doors, car and bike were vandalized there, never fixed the community laundry, etc.). Any help would be much appreciated.
What is the name of this terrible apartment complex? Then we can help you better. Thanks

Old 10-27-2020, 10:45 AM

2,471 posts, read 2,692,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
You've been making payments to Xcel, so I suggest you start by calling them. What would the rental company have to do with your electric payments to Xcel?

It's a bit strange that they would merge two accounts from two different addresses. I would assume that there has to be a way for them to know how much to charge at your new location. Too bad you've just figured this out over a year later.
I owned a home on the west slope and had an apartment in Denver. Xcel merged the accounts, but they show both addresses and what is billed to each one. The OP probably didn’t look close enough at the bill. Xcel is pretty upfront on what they are billing.

Old 10-27-2020, 11:00 AM

6,780 posts, read 9,332,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
I owned a home on the west slope and had an apartment in Denver. Xcel merged the accounts, but they show both addresses and what is billed to each one. The OP probably didn’t look close enough at the bill. Xcel is pretty upfront on what they are billing.
Yup, this. When I moved out of Denver and to the ‘burbs, I owned two houses for a short time before the house in Denver sold. Xcel didn’t really “merge” anything, but billed me for both places where I had service - but I could log into my Xcel account and see info about both properties. Everything was broken down in a way where it was easy to see energy usage and which property it was associated with.

Last edited by cowboyxjon; 10-27-2020 at 11:01 AM.. Reason: Added one more detail

Old 10-29-2020, 03:44 PM

2,289 posts, read 2,943,980 times
The OP was using autopay so there wasn't a moment where they look at the bill prior to paying.

Old 10-30-2020, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
The OP was using autopay so there wasn't a moment where they look at the bill prior to paying.
But a bill is still sent each month, paperless or hard copy.

Old 10-30-2020, 06:15 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,056,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
But a bill is still sent each month, paperless or hard copy.
I think I said exactly that, but my message was deleted as being rude. Not sure what I said that was "rude."

I have ALL my regular utility bills (electric, Internet, etc.) on auto-pay. There ARE months when I don't login to my account because the bill seems "normal" to me ... but I certainly COULD login to check if anything seemed "off," and then I would call the company to find out what's up.

So I don't know why the OP didn't notice this for so long?

Old 10-31-2020, 12:31 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,660,633 times
I think we didn't give the OP the answer he/she wanted. Posted on 10/26 and never returned.

Old 10-31-2020, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
I think we didn't give the OP the answer he/she wanted. Posted on 10/26 and never returned.
LOL. They were asking how to get their money back. “Someone” benefited from those utilities. Whether it was the next tenant or the apartment owner. I would reach back to the benefactor for some relief. Somebody knew they were getting a deal and didn’t take any action to change it, but if I was getting free utilities, maybe I wouldn’t have said anything either.
The mistake though is on the OP. Read or at least monitor your auto pays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area