Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2019, 07:40 PM

84 posts, read 87,792 times

Advertisements

My wife loves this house that's been on the market for a while in Jamestown and I can't figure out why it hasn't sold (obviously it's still overpriced, but maybe there's something I'm missing ??).

Here's the house ...

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...13191864_zpid/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2019, 08:02 PM

26,218 posts, read 49,060,172 times
My concerns:

- winter access on a dirt road covered with snow
- wildfire danger since it's surrounded by combustible materials (insurance $$$$$$)
- water runoff from surrounding elevation funnels right down to the dwelling
- general remoteness and distance to civilization in Boulder (25-30 minutes in good conditions)
- lack of high speed internet (listing says "no data")
- baseboard heat hints at high fuel bills for long winters
- lots of exterior gingerbread to paint
- expensive to reroof those turrets, need good pro roofer for that job
- that fairy tale castle look probably turns off a lot of buyers
- why are there no pix of the kitchen?
- expansive soils (Bentonite)?
- radon gas?
- poor cell phone reception?
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 11-19-2019 at 08:10 PM..

Old 11-19-2019, 08:14 PM

Oh is that all ? lol

Yeah, the little bit of research I've done is starting to paint the picture. some of the first google images that come up are of the terrible flooding back in 2013 ??

Thanks Mike

Old 11-19-2019, 08:47 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,674,120 times
Really cute house!

Old 11-20-2019, 04:32 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,384,174 times
Jamestown is a neat Boulder County 'hippie' community with decent road access up Lefthand/James canyons. There is a really good restaurant/live music venue called the Jamestown Mercantile Cafe, which also doubles as the center of the community.

Old 11-20-2019, 07:54 AM

3,127 posts, read 5,056,569 times
The house is cute but there is no place to park your car attached to the house. That means lugging groceries up a snowy icy path in the winter. Also chipping your car out of the snow and ice whenever you want to go somewhere.

There is a satellite dish on the roof so they probably get some form of TV but if you get internet in the mountains you highlight it in the listing.

Baseboard heat is not unusual. Probably uses propane to heat the water. Understand cost to deliver and frequency needed. Getting the previous owners bills for this would be a good idea.

Looking into the water situation is most important. If well, how good is it? If cistern, what is the cost for delivery? Understanding how trash pick up is done or do you have to haul it yourself is important. If you were serious about this one I would ask for copies of all the utility bills to understand frequency and cost.

A local realtor can help you understand what all is involved in living in an area that you might now know if you haven't lived there before.

For me my big concerns would be:
- fire danger
- flooding?
- no attached garage
- high speed data availability

Keep in mind that if you have satellite high speed data it won't be as fast as you are used to and it can go out in severe weather if snow fall is blocking the dish.

Old 11-20-2019, 02:11 PM

My wife says thanks Dreaming Of Hawaii

Thanks for the scoop Eastward.

Thanks mic111. Rural-like internet would be a deal breaker. I'll just keep working on making more money so I can live down in Boulder

Old 03-01-2021, 02:40 PM

157 posts, read 137,690 times
Something that caught my eye is there is a huge slope on the right of the house, and then the house, and then on the left of the house is a pond.

What also worries me is this appears to have been dolled up by a realtor, who may have been able to cover up water damage.

I just can't see how this house would not have water damage or foundation issues. I would definitely bring a level with you if you visit, make sure all the doors close.

Other than that I like the house and love the decks and views. I'm sure the house has been there for a while, but this looks like the work of a flipper, so be careful.

Last edited by Denverpro; 03-01-2021 at 02:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area