Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2024, 06:25 PM

20,811 posts, read 8,646,551 times

Advertisements

I was in a car accident last year and my PT told me to stop looking down and always hold my head level to not strain the nerves in my neck. She said many people have Tech Neck now from looking down at their phones all day. I only use a laptop which I can prop on a shelf at eye level and stand in front of it until my feet start to hurt. Don't want to do that for a book, too.

I could have sworn that many years ago there was a device that you could wear that would hold your book at eye level. Did I dream that? Maybe it had a reading light attached to it or maybe it was only a reading light. Someone needs to invent it if it doesn't exist!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2024, 06:09 AM

26,814 posts, read 26,960,206 times
Bookholders & Tablet holders:

https://www.amazon.com/Adjustable-Bo.../dp/B00AGX1C08

https://www.seriousreaders.com/categories/bookholders

https://levostore.com/products/levo-...er-floor-stand

Old 05-09-2024, 12:25 PM

Thanks for going to the trouble to find those but they are too expensive and too big and clunky.

I could have sworn there was a device that you wore, like it hooked over your shoulders or something. If not, someone could manufacture it and make a fortune

Old 05-09-2024, 01:36 PM

23,459 posts, read 19,098,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Thanks for going to the trouble to find those but they are too expensive and too big and clunky.

I could have sworn there was a device that you wore, like it hooked over your shoulders or something. If not, someone could manufacture it and make a fortune
Vaguely recall seeing some sort of "wearable" sling type book holder offered in those unsolicited mass marketing catalogs: the only name I can recall offhand is something like Lillian Vernon. Don't see how one would reduce stress on your neck because all it could do is hold the book lower than eye level and relatively close to your chest. You'd still need to crane your neck down to read it.

I'd just get a simple portable, adjustable book stand and set that on a desk or table! No reason you'd need to stand while reading. Just set a chair in front of it! Guess I don't really see the problem. Couldn't you do that with something like this?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/29608960370...Bk9SR7aJwu3rYw

Old 05-09-2024, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Vaguely recall seeing some sort of "wearable" sling type book holder offered in those unsolicited mass marketing catalogs: the only name I can recall offhand is something like Lillian Vernon.
I'd just get a simple portable, adjustable book stand and set that on a desk or table! No reason you'd need to stand while reading. Just set a chair in front of it! Guess I don't really see the problem. Couldn't you do that with something like this?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/29608960370...Bk9SR7aJwu3rYw
I didn't even know Lillian Vernon was still in business. They have a tablet stand but it's too short.

The one from Ebay is taller so I just ordered it. I plan to use it on my portable snack table by my 'comfy chair.' Fingers crossed!

Thanks so much for your help!

Old 05-09-2024, 08:01 PM

6,485 posts, read 4,024,182 times
I can't imagine it would be that much better having the weight of a book on your shoulders (which is where I assume such a holder would sit)...

Old 05-09-2024, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
I can't imagine it would be that much better having the weight of a book on your shoulders (which is where I assume such a holder would sit)...
I work out with weights. Weight isn't the problem, it's the angle of my neck. Seems like I may have found a solution. Read my post above.

Old 05-10-2024, 07:39 AM

37,722 posts, read 46,173,141 times
Quote:
I didn't even know Lillian Vernon was still in business. They have a tablet stand but it's too short.

The one from Ebay is taller so I just ordered it. I plan to use it on my portable snack table by my 'comfy chair.' Fingers crossed!

Thanks so much for your help!
They are just drop-shipping from Amazon and making a couple of bucks off of you.

https://rb.gy/baprts

Old 05-10-2024, 08:03 AM

2,169 posts, read 1,086,070 times
Quote:
I could have sworn that many years ago there was a device that you could wear that would hold your book at eye level. Someone needs to invent it if it doesn't exist!
It's called a "pillow". Heheheh...

Seriously, that's what I use to support my arms/hands and elevate the book. I do most of my reading in bed with head against the wall supported by more pillows. No neck strain.

Old 05-10-2024, 08:53 PM

6,485 posts, read 4,024,182 times
Quote:
I work out with weights. Weight isn't the problem, it's the angle of my neck. Seems like I may have found a solution. Read my post above.
Not a problem for you, but might be for some people. I also work out with weights, but my neck sure doesn't like having anything dragging on it or my shoulders. I even have to be careful with really heavy backpacks. I'm sure people with actual neck/back problems also would have issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books