Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2024, 05:54 PM

92 posts, read 66,619 times

Advertisements

I currently read either a physical book or on my iPad, Apple Books. I used to have a Nook before it became obsolete.

I received a kindle scribe for Christmas but returned it as I felt it was too large. I travel a lot and loved the convenience of being able to easily throw my Nook in my purse or travel bag. My iPad is a bit too big for that as well.

When I returned the scribe my plan was to just purchase a small iPad. I didn’t do it because I’ve had people tell me a kindle is absolutely the way to go. The books are less expensive or I can pay a monthly fee for unlimited books.

I’ve tried to figure out how it all works and which kindle would be the closest to what I have in mind but it’s all a bit confusing.

I read a lot. Admittedly spending $12-20 a book on my iPad adds up when I read four books or more a month.

Can anyone give me any feedback on options and highlights on the kindles vs the ipad? Or other options?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2024, 06:27 AM

3,311 posts, read 3,050,488 times
I can't speak about the Ipad, but I love my Kindle Paperwhite. I hardly ever pay for Kindle books because my library website has thousands of books I can download for free and keep for 21 days, plus I'm an Amazon Prime member so I get one download a month at no charge.

If I couldn't get the library downloads, I'd probably purchase the Kindle Unlimited membership.

Old 05-08-2024, 05:18 PM

10,219 posts, read 17,940,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalElegance View Post
I’ve tried to figure out how it all works and which kindle would be the closest to what I have in mind but it’s all a bit confusing.
What's confusing you?

Quote:
I read a lot. Admittedly spending $12-20 a book on my iPad adds up when I read four books or more a month.
Kindle books can still be that expensive. Anything from the big publishers will probably be the same cost and many will be $12+. There are a lot of indie and self published books on Kindle which are cheaper, but the same book will generally cost the same from Kindle or Apple. Kindle Unlimited may help reduce costs but not all books are available on Unlimited. Also keep in mind that you don't own the books with Unlimited, you're only borrowing them - it's not actually unlimited, you can have a max of I think 20 books at a time, and once the max is reached, you have to return some if you want new ones. I think Unlimited is only worth it if you're okay with primarily picking books from the Unlimited selection, instead of picking a book and hoping it's available on Unlimited.

Quote:
Can anyone give me any feedback on options and highlights on the kindles vs the ipad? Or other options?
My iPad is way too big and heavy for reading books, but I don't have the mini one. Personally, I love my Kindle because not only is it lightweight and small, the eInk screen is preferable to a backlit one on a tablet. Backlit tablets drain the battery faster, which you don't want when you're simply reading. Because they drain the battery faster, the screen will dim and turn off when there's no activity much quicker - which I hate when I'm reading, I don't want to feel like I'm racing to finish the page before the screen dims. eInk is also easier on the eyes and looks more like real paper than a screen.

If you really liked your Nook, you will probably like the regular sized Kindle. In general, I would recommend the Kindle Paperwhite.

Old Yesterday, 02:51 PM
KCZ

4,694 posts, read 3,705,420 times
I use the Kindle app on my iPad mini. I hate it. It's too small, partly due to the ads and toolbars sucking up space, and the font adjustment doesn't compensate. I'm thinking about getting a Kindle Scribe, but I don't need notes, files, notebooks, lists, and doodles either. I just want a reader that's user-friendly for someone with vision issues. Suggestions?

Old Yesterday, 04:16 PM

745 posts, read 483,777 times
Well, I hope what I’m saying makes sense as I’m not very computer savvy. I subscribe to Kindle Unlimited (I think it’s over $12 dollars plus tax a month). I have the Kindle Unlimited App and can download or save up to 20 books at a time, like the poster above said. I have an Apple Tablet or maybe it’s also called an I-Pad?;not really sure. I love it! I read a book a day or a book every other day and before this, I was spending a lot of money buying books on Amazon, so this came out much cheaper. My screen is the perfect size for reading. Not sure what the previous poster is talking about when she mentions ads and toolbars? Anyways, hope this helps!

Old Today, 08:51 AM

10,219 posts, read 17,940,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
I use the Kindle app on my iPad mini. I hate it. It's too small, partly due to the ads and toolbars sucking up space, and the font adjustment doesn't compensate. I'm thinking about getting a Kindle Scribe, but I don't need notes, files, notebooks, lists, and doodles either. I just want a reader that's user-friendly for someone with vision issues. Suggestions?
Kindle Paperwhite is smaller but it doesn't have ads or toolbar when reading. There is a cheaper version with ads, but they're just lock screen ads, they don't appear when you're reading.

I don't have an iPad mini but my Kindle app on my iPhone doesn't have ads or toolbar when reading, so I'm not sure why it would on the iPad mini.

Of course, Amazon have their own 10" tablet called Fire but it's kind of overkill if you just want a reader and not another full tablet. If you think Scribe has too many extra features, a tablet will have even more. Plus I think eInk is easier on the eyes than a backlit screen so especially for someone with vision issues, I would recommend eInk. There are other eInk brands (like Kobo) but they don't support Kindle books, so if you want to stick with Kindle books, you are restricted to either a Kindle or a backlit tablet that supports the Kindle app.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books