Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2024, 01:30 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times

Advertisements

About two a month, which I thought was dismal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2024, 07:04 PM

2,040 posts, read 990,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I'm always reading three books at a time.
Likewise, and doing this kind of irritates me, like I'm an ADD reader and can't finish what I start. Once upon a time I was dating someone and he came by for the evening. Sat on the couch and there was a book tucked between the cushions. He moved a pillow and there was another book behind it. A few more books on the nightstand and another one under my bed pillow. I remember him saying "Why do you read so much?" LOL

I'm in a book club and someone remarked that they prefer reading 'lighter' material in the evenings so they don't go to bed deep in thought or stressing over the subject matter. I tried that for a while but blew it off. I just read what I feel like reading, depending on my mood.

Old 01-11-2024, 08:35 PM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
Likewise, and doing this kind of irritates me, like I'm an ADD reader and can't finish what I start. Once upon a time I was dating someone and he came by for the evening. Sat on the couch and there was a book tucked between the cushions. He moved a pillow and there was another book behind it. A few more books on the nightstand and another one under my bed pillow. I remember him saying "Why do you read so much?" LOL

I'm in a book club and someone remarked that they prefer reading 'lighter' material in the evenings so they don't go to bed deep in thought or stressing over the subject matter. I tried that for a while but blew it off. I just read what I feel like reading, depending on my mood.
I don't have that problem with books on paper. I've read exactly one paper book in the past five years, maybe longer. Someone lent me a book to read and I felt compelled to finish and return it. I hate to start a book and not finish it. Since I am now listening to more books than I actually read, I think it is easier to finish a boring book. The last boring book I finished was Dealing with China: An Insider Unmasks the New Economic Superpower by Hank Paulson. He mentions hundreds of Chinese people he encountered in China and constantly praises his accomplishments.

Old 01-12-2024, 05:58 AM

829 posts, read 410,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
You must check out a bunch of books that you don't finish. Assume that reading rate was constant since October 2020. You'd have read a bit over 200 books over that timespan. That would price the average book at close to 50 bucks. 20-30 dollars seems to be a much more common price, so maybe you check out 2x more books than you finish. Which is actually a lower rate than mine would be, lol. I probably finish one book for every 7-8 I start. But I do read [parts of] books on a daily basis. Not sure how many completed books that actually translates to annually; my guess would be around 30 or so
I did not even try to do the math on it. But, yes, I do check out a lot of books at one time (usually 12) and of course there are a few DNF's out of the 12 each time.

Old 01-12-2024, 09:07 PM

680 posts, read 716,810 times
I borrow books from the library. Our library is not too big so I have to request fiction novels I like to read. They only allow 5 requests at a time, so I do that every 2 weeks. So thats about 10 per month times 12...120 a year.

Yup, I am in the 1 percent.
It has to be books too. I do not like reading off of screens.
I took a book to my last dr appt so I can read while waiting. I kept getting interupted by people commenting on how "refreshing" to see someone with a book. It made me kind of self conscious,

Reading helps me relax...I could never go a day without reading something. I have always finished all my books... eventually.

Last edited by beckerd2; 01-12-2024 at 09:13 PM.. Reason: abc

Old 01-13-2024, 05:35 AM

19,798 posts, read 9,336,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckerd2 View Post
I borrow books from the library. Our library is not too big so I have to request fiction novels I like to read. They only allow 5 requests at a time, so I do that every 2 weeks. So thats about 10 per month times 12...120 a year.

Yup, I am in the 1 percent.
It has to be books too. I do not like reading off of screens.
I took a book to my last dr appt so I can read while waiting. I kept getting interupted by people commenting on how "refreshing" to see someone with a book. It made me kind of self conscious,

Reading helps me relax...I could never go a day without reading something. I have always finished all my books... eventually.
I definitely agree with the bold. Books are my "drug" and especially "escape" reading, which for me means mystery thrillers, romance-type historical novels (Forever Amber, for example), and true crime and disaster books. However, those genres only comprise about 25% of my reading, with the remaining 75% consisting of classic pre-1940 novels, biographies, histories, and books about recent or current politics and events. (I no longer read any 21st century novels because I have started too many of them only to put them down either because they disgusted or bored me, and I think I have now read most of the bestselling 1940-2000 novels that I think I would enjoy.)

However, although I only read about 50 books a year now, when I was a nerdy pre-teen, I would read whenever I could to escape what I consider to be a fairly stressful home life and an almost complete lack of friends. In fact, when I was in fifth grade, I turned in 115 book reports! (I remember that because my teacher made a very big deal of it, even though about 70% of the books I read then were books like the Nancy Drew or Trixie Belden series.)

And I have never read a book on a Kindle (or equivalent), and I never will. Used books are very cheap, and if the online used book sites ever go out of business, I have two very full bookcases and a library close by.

Last edited by katharsis; 01-13-2024 at 06:58 AM..

Old 01-13-2024, 01:48 PM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
And I have never read a book on a Kindle (or equivalent), and I never will. Used books are very cheap, and if the online used book sites ever go out of business, I have two very full bookcases and a library close by.
There are several reasons why people prefer Kindles including the following for me:

1. I'm developing presbyopia and have trouble reading small print especially if the light is not bright. Reading glasses give me a headache. I can adjust the size of the print to what is best for the surroundings.

2. I can read my Kindle when the light is poor or in the dark. I can also read it in bright sunlight.

3. I mostly read new, non-fiction books such as on politics. Books are usually, but not always cheaper on Kindle compared to a new hardback, and you can have the book downloaded in a couple minutes.

4. I probably have 50 books on my Kindle that I haven't read yet. It beats carrying multiple books with you if your are close to finishing one book or you go on an trip.

5. When connected to Wi-Fi, I can select an unfamiliar word, and a dictionary pops up with the definition.

6. For someone who has bought the same book and the same tie that I already owned, buying all my books on Amazon ensures that I don't purchase the same book twice. I listen to books on Audible and on audiobooks on DVDs or CDs. I also purchase books on Kindle on have purchased many paper books on Amazon. If I happen to look at a book that I already own, Amazon tells me that I purchased the book and the format.

7. Audible has free books that you can download.

8. I get a daily e-mail from something called BookBub with books for Kindle. Books are typically $1.99, but range from free to $2.99.

9. I started using Audible in 2023 after my kids bought me Apple AirPods. I'm now listening to books during times I would not be reading such as mowing the grass or exercising. I have a subscription that includes the books in their Plus Catalog + 24 credits a year for any premium selection titles. That means I can download the newest titles the day they can out for about $9.56 per book. This beat the $30 or more that I often paid for hardcover books when they came out.

Old 01-13-2024, 05:14 PM

2,040 posts, read 990,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Books are my "drug" and especially "escape" reading, which for me means mystery thrillers, romance-type historical novels (Forever Amber, for example), and true crime and disaster books.
Ditto that. I think you and I laughed about this in another thread when I posted about the time I rented a room from a woman and after a month she asked me to move out because I was always in my room with the door closed. She said it was weird and that she suspected me of drinking/drug use. Yes, if you consider reading books a 'drug', and in fact during my time there I was also writing/editing one of my own novels. She turned out to be a real wacko and was constantly swiping away at her Smartphone whenever we did spend time together, zero attention span.

Here's a quote I love: "I like reading books more than I like living my actual life."

Old 01-14-2024, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
just curious what you mean by this - do you mean if you bought those books instead of checking them out, that's how much you'd have spent?
Yes, that is correct!

Old 01-14-2024, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
You must check out a bunch of books that you don't finish. Assume that reading rate was constant since October 2020. You'd have read a bit over 200 books over that timespan. That would price the average book at close to 50 bucks. 20-30 dollars seems to be a much more common price, so maybe you check out 2x more books than you finish. Which is actually a lower rate than mine would be, lol. I probably finish one book for every 7-8 I start. But I do read [parts of] books on a daily basis. Not sure how many completed books that actually translates to annually; my guess would be around 30 or so
Well, I just checked out 4 books on my last library run and the total for 4 books on my receipt was $108.00 so that comes out to $27.00 per book!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books