Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 11:16 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,112,167 times

Advertisements

Here's a place for us to discuss the ongoing reads, or any other chats we'd like to engage in regarding books.

All are welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 11:21 AM

Book Club recap:

We now have a full plate.

gemkeeper and RDSLOTS will lead our first discussion on Kite Runner starting March 25.

BluePlateWillow and gemkeeper will co-lead Suite Francaise.

katenzenfreud will lead the disussion on The Wall.

And ontheroad will lead the talk on The Road.

If anyone wants to volunteer to lead a discussion on Love Medicine by Louise Erdrich, please send me a DM.

A tentative schedule is in the making!

Old 03-11-2008, 12:12 PM

2,355 posts, read 2,181,956 times
Thanks for opening this thread ontheroad.

I just finished The Kite Runner, started it on Sunday, so can't make any contributions yet. It's my second time reading this novel and boy - it's just as poweful as the first time. My professor assigned this book when I was taking a History of Iran / Afghanistan class while in school. I didn't think I'd like the book so much but it turned out to be an enjoyable read.

I am now starting on Ken Follett's Pillars of the Earth. I actually got interested in this book, not because of Oprah (don't watch her) but because I was reading CD threads where posters would declare this book as "the best read"...and stuff like that. So my curiositiy got the best of me.

Old 03-11-2008, 12:24 PM

Default schedue for reading

Well, please hold your impressions on Kite Runner for our official grand opening on March 25.

I too have found it fascinating which books get recommended here and often check out their critiques. Yesterday when I went down to a book dealer to photograph their shop for an article I'm writing, I took a 3-page list of recommendations and for $7.50 came away with three Erdrich's including Love Medicine, a book cil recommended and a few others I think karibear talked favourably about in sci-fi. If this shop, like all in my community, wasn't so far away I might sleep there.

Today I discovered two more booksellers in our region; one with over 7,000 volumes and another with 15,000 volumes.

I will be visiting both this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyhossenlopp View Post
Thanks for opening this thread ontheroad.

I just finished The Kite Runner, started it on Sunday, so can't make any contributions yet. It's my second time reading this novel and boy - it's just as poweful as the first time. My professor assigned this book when I was taking a History of Iran / Afghanistan class while in school. I didn't think I'd like the book so much but it turned out to be an enjoyable read.

I am now starting on Ken Follett's Pillars of the Earth. I actually got interested in this book, not because of Oprah (don't watch her) but because I was reading CD threads where posters would declare this book as "the best read"...and stuff like that. So my curiositiy got the best of me.

Old 03-11-2008, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Well, please hold your impressions on Kite Runner for our official grand opening on March 25.

I too have found it fascinating which books get recommended here and often check out their critiques. Yesterday when I went down to a book dealer to photograph their shop for an article I'm writing, I took a 3-page list of recommendations and for $7.50 came away with three Erdrich's including Love Medicine, a book cil recommended and a few others I think karibear talked favourably about in sci-fi. If this shop, like all in my community, wasn't so far away I might sleep there.

Today I discovered two more booksellers in our region; one with over 7,000 volumes and another with 15,000 volumes.

I will be visiting both this week.
Where do you live where you have all these great shops? Here in Phoenix, I have been to one of a few great used bookstores. Now, when hubby and I move back to California in June, we'll be making the 2-hour trek to the Bay Area so we can visit a few quality used bookshops up there...I can't wait.

I like reading the thread "What's the 5 best books" because sometimes I will stay fixed in a certain genre, like historical romance or fantasy (which has been my latest kick). I have to remember there are many other types of books out there. I just need to find copies.

Old 03-11-2008, 12:37 PM

When I visited Phoenix, I thought you had a good selection of book shops. One that had dozens of books, old and new, where I bought a great photo bag. Can't recall where it is in Phoenix, and all those chains.

Here we only have a total of two new stores (both 50 miles away from me) and my new discovery of 3 more local second hand sellers.

In a radius of 100m (I know this because I've been driving it and talked to the Park Services today to double check the radius) we have a total of 7 booksellers. Not much for a 4-county region but amazingly from among these 7 I have some terrific picks. The one I visited yesterday is a book seller connected to a charity, and the collection they have is A+++. Many people from the surrounding area donate their books there, and I donated about 3 boxes of assorted books myself and then bought a bag full to compensate for my losses.

I live in the Upper Delaware Valley at the cross-roads of Sullivan County (NYS) and Wayne County (PA)--a fascinating area for many reasons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyhossenlopp View Post
Where do you live where you have all these great shops? Here in Phoenix, I have been to one of a few great used bookstores. Now, when hubby and I move back to California in June, we'll be making the 2-hour trek to the Bay Area so we can visit a few quality used bookshops up there...I can't wait.

I like reading the thread "What's the 5 best books" because sometimes I will stay fixed in a certain genre, like historical romance or fantasy (which has been my latest kick). I have to remember there are many other types of books out there. I just need to find copies.

Old 03-11-2008, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
When I visited Phoenix, I thought you had a good selection of book shops. One that had dozens of books, old and new, where I bought a great photo bag. Can't recall where it is in Phoenix, and all those chains.

Here we only have a total of two new stores (both 50 miles away from me) and my new discovery of 3 more local second hand sellers.

In a radius of 100m (I know this because I've been driving it and talked to the Park Services today to double check the radius) we have a total of 7 booksellers. Not much for a 4-county region but amazingly from among these 7 I have some terrific picks. The one I visited yesterday is a book seller connected to a charity, and the collection they have is A+++. Many people from the surrounding area donate their books there, and I donated about 3 boxes of assorted books myself and then bought a bag full to compensate for my losses.

I live in the Upper Delaware Valley at the cross-roads of Sullivan County (NYS) and Wayne County (PA)--a fascinating area for many reasons.
Ah...ok. I believe I've done a little bit of research for your area because I contemplated a move to your area, well, at least until recent life events which bring me back home to California.

Thanks for the info regarding Phoenix. I haven't had as much money lately so my acquiring of books are temporarily on hold, only to be purchased for special occasions, i.e. the CD book club.

Old 03-11-2008, 12:53 PM

1,439 posts, read 3,882,949 times
I used to be a librarian before my daughter was born...this is a great site to book hunt...
ISBN.nu: Find the best price for books online

Old 03-11-2008, 01:03 PM

Thanks for that link, little_thirsty.

This is one I frequent here.

Old 03-11-2008, 01:53 PM

1,439 posts, read 3,882,949 times
Oh cool! Thanks OTR....it won't let me rep you, same ole same ole, must spread the love around
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books