Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2022, 01:02 PM

2,857 posts, read 1,802,529 times

Advertisements

Anne Tyler, gave a rare interview, People's magazine, 4 April, 2022. French Braid is her latest, her. 24th novel. Difficult to believe she's 80 ! On page 67, gives a synopses of 5 of her novels

According to the article, she's depicted ordinary-yet-quirky families in all their maddening, loveable complexity. The Accidental Tourist, Geena Davis, won an Oscar for her role in the 1988 film.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2022, 01:55 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,253,106 times
Default Traveling Mississippi

Browsing this forum for the first time, one post caught my attention. It reminded me of a special book I had read and go back to often. "A Place Like Mississippi". I was "following" my step mother around Mississippi - the state, not the flooding river that the other poster mentioned. My step mother was born and reared in this state but I'd never really familiarized myself with it. Many town names were familiar from her talking about them. So it was as if I was following her, even though I was not - she being long gone

A great education about a not-often-heard-from state, Ralph Eubanks traveled the entire state reporting on the many Mississippi authors and their home towns. Good human interest stories describing not just the authors but the places where they lived and happenings in each. It would take too long to find it now but at one town was a story of a flood. I wonder if it was the 1927 flood mentioned before.

If you want some light but very interesting reading, I'd recommend "A Place Like Mississippi". How did Mississippi, a state with - allegedly - low-rated educational systems manage to produce so many top-rated authors as Eudora Welty, Richard Wright, William Faulkner, and many more, including some you maybe never heard of. Mississippi has a rich heritage that I never realized. And, you know what? My step mother was a pure and accurate personification of its citizens. She bragged of it sometimes and i can now see why. I was "following" her on every page. I came to understand her through this book. If you read this book, I promise you are in for some pleasures and surprises.

Sorry this got a bit wordy. Mr. Eubanks does a better job of drawing word pictures. He keeps you moving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books