Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 01:23 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,112,167 times

Advertisements

What an exciting prospect, little_thirsty. Shall we post a thread (that is you) to ask if folks want to do just this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_thirsty View Post
I would gladly lead that one if anyone else wants to do that!
As I suggested to little_thirsty, how about a thread to discuss it. It seems many of the readers here are very keen and knowledgeable on children's books (teachers and parents, among others).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. H View Post
What about Harry Potter? Or maybe one of Beverly Cleary's novels?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 03:28 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,131,557 times
Default Great reading, little_thirsty! One night for "Kite Runner"!

I think reading a child'ren's literature book would be great fun! As most of you know I have been a reading teacher for under-achieving readers, ESL children, and Title I. I don't often have the opportunity with these challenged readers to go very deep into a children's story. This would be particularly exciting for me!

I like the idea of discussing The Giver, Wrinkle in Time, or one of Beverly Cleary's novels in particular. Good suggestions, little thirsty and Mrs. H! (I just had to throw in Wrinkle in Time, as well!)

Eyhossenlopp, I have some reservations about the Harry Potter series. I think that they have been discussed ad infinitum! But once again, whatever the majority would like is A-OK with me!

It does seem that a separate thread would be in order. There may be those in the Book Club who would not be interested in reading children's literature. I can do two concurrently as many others have indicated. I am sure that you would do well, also, little thirsty, with two different reading levels going at one time - adult literature and the children's.

Ontheroad, why am I not surprised that you did your undergraduate degree, or advanced degree for that matter, in literature? You aren't Mr. Delahunte, are you? (From a previous post on another thread - my Mr. McDreamy of all literature professors as an undergrad student!)

Old 03-12-2008, 03:40 PM

1,439 posts, read 3,882,949 times
Done and done. I do think I could handle 2 different reading levels...its sad as a previous librarian I should be able to read 10 at once...I just can't! Oh did I mention I was a children's librarian...... tee hee hee. If you met me in "the real world" I am loud and silly, so librarian is a funny but wonderful fit for me!

Old 03-12-2008, 04:18 PM

I can assure you I am not Mr. Delahunte.

My graduate studies diverged from literature to philosophy.

Quote:
Ontheroad, why am I not surprised that you did your undergraduate degree, or advanced degree for that matter, in literature? You aren't Mr. Delahunte, are you? (From a previous post on another thread - my Mr. McDreamy of all literature professors as an undergrad student!)

Old 03-12-2008, 05:09 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,130,940 times
Quote:
Oh - and did we have Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett on our list?
I did not recommend this for discussion...only because it is a loooong book. Can't see people running out to get it and being done in a week. And it is so involved, I think it takes some processing!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this book. One of my all time favorite top 3. I've read it a dozen times. There is so much to it!

Right now I am reading the sequel (not exactly a "sequel" but). If I hadn't read Pillars, this book might be good. But I am very irritated...I had much hope, for the first one is brilliant...

Old 03-12-2008, 05:16 PM

2,355 posts, read 2,181,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolagranola View Post
I did not recommend this for discussion...only because it is a loooong book. Can't see people running out to get it and being done in a week. And it is so involved, I think it takes some processing!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this book. One of my all time favorite top 3. I've read it a dozen times. There is so much to it!

Right now I am reading the sequel (not exactly a "sequel" but). If I hadn't read Pillars, this book might be good. But I am very irritated...I had much hope, for the first one is brilliant...
Thanks for your comments lola. I am barely in the beginning and have hope for the book. I've tried to read historical fiction in the past but couldn't finish...I have high expectations for this one.

Old 03-12-2008, 06:34 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,131,557 times
Wink I have sooooo many books to finish and to begin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolagranola View Post

I am disappointed to hear that the sequel does not have the same excitement as "Pillars", lolagranola. I just bought World Without End and was hoping that it would be just as entrancing. I am not sure when I will get to it, but read it, I must!

Ontheroad, I am soooo relieved that you are not Mr. Delahunte!! (sp.?) You do inspire, though.

Little_thirsty, I love that you were/are a children's librarian. I think you have a wonderful personality for that position. Children must thoroughly enjoy your sunny disposition and sense of humor.

Old 03-12-2008, 07:16 PM

240 posts, read 1,284,389 times
OTR, the schedule you put forth is fine with me. I just received The Kite Runner so will start that in the next day or two. Already have The Road. I'll check the library for Suite Francaise.

Your "retreat" last spring/summer must have been fabulous. Such opportunities are rare given the way we all 'must' live these days. Since you stated that you read a book in a day or two, I doubt you went on retreat to write one yourself. That would have been my first guess as the reason behind your isolation in beautiful Vermont... (am I being too nosey?).

I too majored in literature as an undergrad.

Regarding The Pillars of the Earth, I just recently purchased that too, but doesn't look like it'll be on my short list of reads this spring... Maybe by the middle or end of summer.

It may be time for me to disconnect the radio and television and telephone. Kick the husband out, adopt out the critters, close the blinds.

But the internet... that stays!

Old 03-12-2008, 08:11 PM

It seems we are moving along on a schedule. Hope to hear from BlueWillowPlate (cil) and RDSLOTS that all of this meets with their approval and schedules.

I'm also pleased to announce that tigerlily has agreed to lead the group's discussion on Love Medicine. I'd estimate we'll get to it at the end of Spring.

furyu, interesting that in the entire time I was in VT I didn't pick up a pencil, pen or enter a single word in the computer.

I had been on the road for too long, and needed to just concentrate on the sounds of invisible insects, and the various bird calls that could be heard early in the morning and late at night. I was only startled occasionally: a Great Blue flew directly at me one day while I was reading; she must have been startled by another ground creature. On another day an ole moose came strutting across the back fields (I was on a semi-working farm). My neighbour and friend came running over to alert me because it is truly a privilege to see one of these moose just ambling along. We were transfixed.

Here's the pond the moose was headed for:

Yes, it was a rare opportunity, a gift of the gods and goddesses to be able to stay in this small but perfectly outfitted barn studio.

Not only did I derive pleasure from this sojourn, I read all those delicious books and probably have fodder for future writing--lodged somewhere in this old noggin.

And glad to hear Kite Runner is easily available and that many are reading it, have read it or about to read it.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:17 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,130,940 times
Quote:
I am disappointed to hear that the sequel does not have the same excitement as "Pillars", lolagranola
Oh it has the same excitement. I did have such high hopes...if I had blindly chosen it, or had not read Pillars, I might have had better things to say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books