Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2024, 05:46 AM

26,818 posts, read 26,960,206 times

Advertisements

Someone mentioned The Searcher on another thread here, and I wondered what Tana French was up to. She's due to release a new book in March, The Hunter, which will be a sequel to The Searcher.

https://lithub.com/a-brand-new-tana-...y-this-spring/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2024, 06:31 AM

130,856 posts, read 12,216,978 times
LJ Ross has a wonderful series about DCI Ryan, set in the North of England. I love that series.

Old 05-06-2024, 05:50 PM

There were three holds at our local library for The Hunter. I just checked it out.

Old 05-06-2024, 08:21 PM

6,178 posts, read 4,571,105 times
I have some doubts that Tana French actually wrote The Searcher. I have The Hunter, but haven't started it yet.

Old 05-06-2024, 08:34 PM

130,856 posts, read 12,216,978 times
L J Ross & the DCI Ryan mystery series

Old 05-07-2024, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
I have some doubts that Tana French actually wrote The Searcher.
Why?

It's her first novel to be written in third person, and only her second stand-alone novel. It IS very different than her earlier work.

Old 05-07-2024, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Why?

It's her first novel to be written in third person, and only her second stand-alone novel. It IS very different than her earlier work.
It had the wrong feel entirely and nothing about it - not the plot, or characters, pacing, nothing - reminded me of any of her other work. I've followed other authors who get big and just sell their name and don't write anything anymore. A shift from first to third person, or vice versa, is usually a red flag.

Old 05-09-2024, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
It had the wrong feel entirely and nothing about it - not the plot, or characters, pacing, nothing - reminded me of any of her other work. I've followed other authors who get big and just sell their name and don't write anything anymore. A shift from first to third person, or vice versa, is usually a red flag.
I've seen that with James Patterson, Lee Child, Catherine Coulter, Patricia Cornwell, etc....but when you read their co-authored books, they seem nothing like the books written by that author alone. I'm about half way through The Hunter, and her style of writing is very similar to her earlier work such as Faithful Place, but with an entirely different focus.

It sounds as if she has a lot of resources upon which she draws.

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/th...her-detectives

Old 05-09-2024, 06:35 AM

22,955 posts, read 28,362,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I've seen that with James Patterson, Lee Child, Catherine Coulter, Patricia Cornwell, etc....but when you read their co-authored books, they seem nothing like the books written by that author alone.
Any time you see a book that has the attribution ...

BY FAMOUS AUTHOR (in big type, followed by...)
WITH AUTHOR YOU HAVE NEVER HEARD OF (in much smaller type)

... you can bet money the author you never heard of did 99% of the work and the famous person read the draft, maybe made a few comments, stuck their name on it, and collected most of the cash.

Old 05-09-2024, 10:59 AM

Years ago, I read, on a recommendation, a novel titled No Lesser Plea by Robert K. Tananbaum, and it was very good. The author was supposed to have worked with the DA's office, had his picture on the flyleaf, blah blah. I followed the series for years over a bunch of novels until I picked one up that was so obviously not written by the same person that I did a little digging - and what I found was that not only was he not the author of the current novel, neither had he been the author of any of the preceding novels. So the writer I had been following and enjoying was a writer, not a "name" and now I'm very cynical of authors with a following.

The same happened with a Florida author (not Hiaasen, can't remember), whose books I ate up over a decade or more, until I picked up with one that I knew was not the same author. By then I didn't care who wrote the first 10 or so, but I knew they had moved on and I never read another with that "author's" name on it.

Scott Turow.

I've also read the above: those double author things and I don't care who did the work, I'm not interested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books