Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2023, 08:05 AM
KB4

1,032 posts, read 1,639,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimFreebish View Post
I really like The Secret Garden. It's considered a children's book, I think.
When I was a child, my mom took it away from me because it was getting worn out by me reading it too much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2023, 09:34 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,027,721 times
Brave books is a great source. They are also sponsoring "See You at the Library" on Sat. 5 August. Over 300 libraries are having story hours.

https://bravebooks.us/pages/bb-story-hour

Old 08-28-2023, 03:19 PM

18,116 posts, read 11,749,491 times
The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein

I love this book! I was helping my SIL watch her grandson for one week. I ordered this book from Amazon to read/discuss with Cody during his time here. He enjoyed the story and we discussed the life lessons from the book afterward.

This story is about a young boy and his relationship with an apple tree. How can one be so (take, take, take!!) selfish and the other can be the never-ending (give, give, give!) giver?

I let him take the book home to share with his two younger brothers.

Old 09-09-2023, 09:37 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,346,874 times
I'm 63 years old, and youngest DD visited a used book stand at a flea market and gifted me with three "Nancy Drew" mystery books. Ones I once owned and which were confiscated by a mean fifth grade teacher. I got "Sign of the Twisted Candles" and "Password to Larkspur Lane" for Christmas when I was ten. I took them with me to school to read. Long story short "Mrs. B" (the initial B stood for her last name, and also for "battleaxe b****") didn't like that I was an introvert who spent so much time reading and not enough time being "sociable" with my classmates. So she took away my books whenever she caught me reading during class free time. If I smuggled a book outside at recess to read under a tree, she'd find me, snatch the book, and force me to get into a kickball game.

She must have been in a particularly bad mood that January, and the sight of me reading really ticked her off, because she took my new Nancy Drews away and told me that I'd get them back at the end of the school year. Come June, she "didn't have them". 53 years later, I finally have those titles back (as well as "Nancy's Mysterious Letter"). DD gave them to me, and said, "**** you, Mrs. B****"".

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 09-09-2023 at 09:57 AM..

Old 09-09-2023, 10:47 AM

14 posts, read 4,311 times
If you're looking for some engaging children's books, I highly recommend checking out Sudha Murti's collection.

Sudha Murty has written several children's books that are both engaging and educational. Here are a few of her well-known children's books:

"How I Taught My Grandmother to Read and Other Stories": This book is a collection of heartwarming and insightful short stories that are perfect for young readers. The stories often carry important life lessons and showcase the author's storytelling prowess.

"Grandma's Bag of Stories": In this book, Sudha Murty takes young readers on a delightful journey with her grandmother, who shares a bag full of captivating stories. It's a wonderful book that celebrates the art of storytelling and the bond between generations.

"The Magic Drum and Other Favourite Stories": Another collection of enchanting stories, this book features tales that are filled with imagination and life lessons. Each story is designed to entertain and inspire young readers.

"The Gopi Diaries: Coming Home": This is the first book in a series written by Sudha Murty, told from the perspective of a lovable and curious little dog named Gopi. The series explores Gopi's adventures and observations as he adjusts to his new home.

"The Upside Down King: Unusual Tales about Rama and Krishna": In this book, Sudha Murty reimagines some popular Indian mythological stories about Lord Rama and Lord Krishna. She presents these tales in a way that is engaging and accessible to young readers.

These books are not only entertaining but also offer valuable life lessons and insights into Indian culture and values. Sudha Murty's storytelling talent shines through in her children's literature, making her books a great choice for young readers and their families.

Old 09-09-2023, 11:49 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,121,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
I'm 63 years old, and youngest DD visited a used book stand at a flea market and gifted me with three "Nancy Drew" mystery books. Ones I once owned and which were confiscated by a mean fifth grade teacher. I got "Sign of the Twisted Candles" and "Password to Larkspur Lane" for Christmas when I was ten. I took them with me to school to read. Long story short "Mrs. B" (the initial B stood for her last name, and also for "battleaxe b****") didn't like that I was an introvert who spent so much time reading and not enough time being "sociable" with my classmates. So she took away my books whenever she caught me reading during class free time. If I smuggled a book outside at recess to read under a tree, she'd find me, snatch the book, and force me to get into a kickball game.

She must have been in a particularly bad mood that January, and the sight of me reading really ticked her off, because she took my new Nancy Drews away and told me that I'd get them back at the end of the school year. Come June, she "didn't have them". 53 years later, I finally have those titles back (as well as "Nancy's Mysterious Letter"). DD gave them to me, and said, "**** you, Mrs. B****"".
My family has always cherished reading and my sister & I were reading before we went to preschool.

When I was in kindergarten (private school) the Sister was pissed off because she was taking the other girls through simple reading exercises and discovered me reading an "All of The Kind" book.

She kicked me out of the class to sit outside on the lanai and for the rest of the school year I sat on the lanai during reading class. Since I was allowed to bring a couple of books with me this 'punishment' I was thrilled to not have to listen to the class stumbling through reading the lesson out loud and to be out of the Sister's sight (and out of the range of her ruler!).

I have never understood why I was punished for simply reading during reading class no less. I guess I was supposed to be excited to listen to my classmates stumble over "Dick and Jane" (and Spot).

Old 09-23-2023, 11:12 AM

14 posts, read 4,311 times
"Where the Wild Things Are" by Maurice Sendak is indeed a cherished and timeless classic in children's literature. Here's a bit more about the book:

Overview:
"Where the Wild Things Are" is a picture book that captures the wild and boundless imagination of a young boy named Max. The story begins with Max, dressed in a wolf suit, causing mischief and chaos at home. After a particularly raucous episode, he is sent to his room as punishment.

In his room, Max's imagination takes flight. His room transforms into a dense forest, and Max's bed becomes a boat that carries him across a vast ocean to the land of the Wild Things. These creatures are large, and fantastical, and represent the untamed aspects of Max's own personality. Max declares himself king of the Wild Things and enjoys the freedom and adventure of his new kingdom.

However, Max soon realizes that even in this wild world, he yearns for the comforts of home and the love of his family. He decides to return, and his journey back is just as imaginative as his voyage to the Wild Things.

Themes:

Imagination: The book celebrates the power of a child's imagination, showing how a bedroom can transform into a magical world and a child can become a king.
The Wildness of Childhood: It portrays the natural wildness and spiritedness of childhood, where children explore their emotions and desires freely.
Home and Family: Max's return home emphasizes the importance of family and the comfort and security it provides.
Impact:
"Where the Wild Things Are" has had a profound impact on generations of readers and has been recognized with numerous awards, including the Caldecott Medal. Its universal themes and evocative illustrations continue to resonate with both children and adults, making it a beloved classic that encourages imagination, self-expression, and the importance of home and family in a child's life. Maurice Sendak's storytelling and artwork make this book a true masterpiece of children's literature.

Old 09-25-2023, 01:15 PM

3,727 posts, read 2,551,518 times
I just read the new Grinch sequel (How the Grinch Lost Christmas).. it was ok. The artist did a good job replicating Suess's style..

Old 09-25-2023, 01:50 PM

11,083 posts, read 17,527,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post

I bought a set of the first 10 volumes of the Hardy Boys Mysteries a few years ago. A lady bought them for her grandsons, but they weren't on a screen, so they never touched them. Bought them all for $20. Read them all a couple times and just donated them to our library for a fund raising book sale.

Old 03-28-2024, 04:23 PM

3,727 posts, read 2,551,518 times
Extinctopedia

This is a new one I just picked up. Basically a brief, hardcover, kid's encyclopedia of extinct (and endangered) animals. With some nice hand drawn art by Alessio Alcini.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books