Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2020, 06:27 PM

11,083 posts, read 17,527,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
I just last week told the librarian she had to promise not to tell anyone how many cartoons I watch. I've seen all of Shaun the Sheep and Wallace and Gromit and I never pretend they're for anyone else. It was just funny the week I rented the Korean demon movie and she went back looking for something else like it had to be a mistake. Nope, just a sign (I tell myself) of an open mind.
Refugee, I have a roku stick on my TV in my bedroom. I joke that one reason for buying a roku is my wife doesn't like cartoons, so I have around 6 cartoon channels, the old stuff, on my roku. I say my bedroom because she can't climb the stairs to our bedroom because of back and hip problems.

When I say the old stuff, I've been watching Lil' Lulu, Baby Huey, Chip and Dale, Casper the Friendly Ghost, and many many more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2020, 11:44 AM

6,138 posts, read 4,500,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
Refugee, I have a roku stick on my TV in my bedroom. I joke that one reason for buying a roku is my wife doesn't like cartoons, so I have around 6 cartoon channels, the old stuff, on my roku. I say my bedroom because she can't climb the stairs to our bedroom because of back and hip problems.

When I say the old stuff, I've been watching Lil' Lulu, Baby Huey, Chip and Dale, Casper the Friendly Ghost, and many many more.

I liked Heckle and Jeckle best of the B&W ones I remember. Did you ever notice that all the cartoon birds are crazy?

And cannot agree more with Cebuan about artwork. Wabi Sabi was not a very good book, but I loved the art.

Old 07-27-2020, 05:41 PM

729 posts, read 531,872 times
You're Only Old Once!
by Dr. Seuss
A Book for Obsolete Children

Yes, THAT Dr. Seuss

Old 07-28-2020, 07:37 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,121,110 times
I was delighted when I found the entire "Betsy, Tacy and Tib" series by Maude Hart Lovelace.

I was in my 40s and totally blind, but I have it!

Old 07-31-2020, 08:21 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,929,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
I was delighted when I found the entire "Betsy, Tacy and Tib" series by Maude Hart Lovelace.

I was in my 40s and totally blind, but I have it!
I loved Betsy, Tacy and Tib! My mom taught at my elementary school and I always waited in the library for her to be done at the end of the day. I can remember exactly where those books were on the shelf.

The other collection that sort of reminds me ob Betsy... is The Moffets. Did you ever read those?

Old 07-31-2020, 10:39 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,121,110 times
No, I don't think I have ever read the series. Have you ever read "The All of a Kind Family"?
I really loved those old books.

Old 06-29-2022, 07:24 PM

3,728 posts, read 2,551,518 times
Blips on a Screen is a good children's book I recently picked up.
It's a brief biography of Ralph Baer, who was a pioneer in creating home video games. Basic, colorful art work that appeals to kids, and gaming history that can be appreciated by adult gamers..

Old 07-04-2022, 06:09 AM

8,935 posts, read 4,759,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
No, I don't think I have ever read the series. Have you ever read "The All of a Kind Family"?
I really loved those old books.
I loved All of a Kind Family. The whole series. And the illustrations were wonderful.
Such an interesting, cozy read. I'd still read it today if I could.
I also would pick up the Nancy Drew series (the original with the yellow spine) again.
Ditto the Lois Lenski (Cotton in My Sack, Strawberry Girl).

Old 09-18-2022, 07:04 AM

71 posts, read 38,060 times
How about young adult fiction? There are several that I think of to this day that I haven't read in 20 years. The Andalite Chronicles is one in the Animorph series (science fiction). It was an adventure with such highs and lows that Im still touched by it.

Old 09-18-2022, 07:17 AM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricCadet View Post
How about young adult fiction?
Yes!
Do any of you grownups read YA books? https://www.city-data.com/forum/book...s-read-ya.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books