Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 11:43 AM

291 posts, read 948,301 times

Advertisements

Bill Bryson was mentioned earlier. My favorite book of his is "A Walk in theWoods". The book is about the authors hike on the Appalachian Trail with a buddy of his Katz. Hilarious and you learn some things too just like all of his books. A movie just came out on Labor Day based on the book. Looking forward to watching it this weekend. Robert Redford and Nick Nolte.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2015, 08:16 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
The River of Doubt: Theodore Roosevelt's Darkest Journey Paperback – October 10, 2006
by Candice Millard

The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien

The autobiography of Benjamin Franklin

Cocktail Hour under the Tree of Forgetfulness by Alexandra Fuller

Savage Kingdom: The True Story of Jamestown, 1607, and the Settlement of America – April 8, 2008
by Benjamin Woolley

The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair That Changed AmericaFeb 10, 2004
by Erik Larson

I LOVED Savage Kingdom! Couldn't put that book down.

I also really enjoyed The Devil in the White City. I really like Erik Larson. Have you read In the Garden of Beasts? That's my favorite Larson book. I also really liked Isaac's Storm.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_the_Garden_of_Beasts

Isaac's Storm: A Man, a Time, and the Deadliest Hurricane in History by Erik Larson

Old 09-12-2015, 12:26 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,162,350 times
Are any of the books by Carlos Castaneda considered non-fiction?

Old 09-14-2015, 03:13 PM

47,545 posts, read 6,391,409 times
I just posted this on another thread, but "Shanghai Diary" by Ursula Bacon, is a fantastic book.

It chronicles a family's escape from Nazi Germany in the late 1930s to safe haven filled plenty of peril of its own.

Old 09-14-2015, 06:04 PM

4,724 posts, read 4,417,821 times
I hope I am not repeating myself, but Shanghai Diary sounds great- reminds me of a post I searched out that I did in 2010

Ooh just remembered another one that was very good and no one seems to know it (but it was in my library sitting there all lonely)

Last Dance At the Hotel Kempinski

Amazon.com: Last Dance at the Hotel Kempinski: Creating a Life in the Shadow of History (9780874517750): Robin Hirsch: Books
A very good read. Hope someone reads it.

Old 09-15-2015, 09:21 AM

23,592 posts, read 70,391,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubarbundy View Post
Are any of the books by Carlos Castaneda considered non-fiction?
Tricky question, but I doubt it. It has been found that his "journeys" don't fit with the facts of where he was when, and a large part of his research was not experiential, but from libraries. He was apparently a rather charismatic person.

Old 09-16-2015, 09:57 AM

1,189 posts, read 1,162,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Tricky question, but I doubt it. It has been found that his "journeys" don't fit with the facts of where he was when, and a large part of his research was not experiential, but from libraries. He was apparently a rather charismatic person.
He must have been persuasive enough to convince so many that his stories were actual fact.

Did enjoy them as an impressionable teen in the 70's, but sad about those who bought into it.

Yeah, the timeline doesn't add up.

Old 09-16-2015, 10:46 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,322,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubarbundy View Post
He must have been persuasive enough to convince so many that his stories were actual fact.

Did enjoy them as an impressionable teen in the 70's, but sad about those who bought into it.

Yeah, the timeline doesn't add up.
My first look at Castanada was due to my husband having his books. So I looked at them for the first time in the '90s and did an immediate eyeroll. They didn't age well.

Old 09-24-2015, 01:33 AM

23,218 posts, read 29,034,905 times
Just finished reading Kaffir Boy in America/Mark Mathabane, a follow-up to Kaffir Boy, growing up under apartheid in South Africa. Kaffir Boy left off with him coming to the U.S., and I was always wondering how he did once he moved to the U.S.

Stranger and Traveler, The Story Of Dorothea Dix, American Reformer, by Dorothy Clarke Wilson. Concerning her establishment of the first mental institutions in the U.S. Reading about how they dealt with the mentally ill before that, you had better not have a weak stomach to read it!

One Nation Under Sex by Larry Flynt. Believe it or not, why was Buchanon and his VP the only single President and VP we had? According to Larry, they were male lovers!

Old 09-25-2015, 08:17 AM

4,362 posts, read 6,531,023 times
Okay Bryson fans, he's got another book coming shortly. The Road to Little Dribbling: More Notes From A Small Island.

It will be out in UK in a couple weeks but not until January for the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books