Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 10:02 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,454,360 times

Advertisements

Harry Turtledove. Worse and worse, every time.

Brian Herbert (and whichever 'lancers are actually doing the work). He has abused his father's legacy and should be forced to eat some of his books.

W.E.B. Griffin. Had a brief period of goodness when he had overcome some of the fetishism and before his kid started writing 'with' him. Now completely gone south.

Laurell K. Hamilton. Poster child for how to screw up a great series.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 10:29 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,573,759 times
I loved Herman Wouk's "Winds of war" and then felt letdown by the rest of his books.

I really enjoyed some of James Michener's books and really did not like some of them.

I read "Catch 22" by Kurt Vonnegut and thought it was a really great book. I was very disappointed that I did not like any of the other books by him that I read.

I very much enjoyed "Huckleberry Finn" by Mark Twain and then did not like anything else he wrote except "Life on the Mississippi" which doesn't really count as it's not a novel.

Some of John Steinbeck's books are great and I loved them, some suck and I hated them.

"The Prince of Tides" by Pat Conroy is a great book, I enjoyed it very much. I did not like any other book he wrote even though, I read them all.

"Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe" was a great read and then I did not like anything else Fannie Flagg wrote.

"War and Peace" by Tolstoy is a great book. I could not even finnish any of his other books.

Old 03-31-2015, 10:36 PM

21,463 posts, read 10,564,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
Stephen King. I loved his early books and I was always so excited when a new one came out. I hardly ever purchased hardcover books, but I would go out and buy his books in hardcover right away.

And then came The Tommyknockers. I started it off with that same feeling of tingly anticipation I had experienced each time, and for a while I tried to feel the same enthusiasm as before, but after several hundred pages I had to admit that this book seemed different, and not in a good way.

Somewhere along the line, he changed. The violence increased exponentially, and the lovingly detailed descriptions of everyday life and objects faded away. I kept reading his books for several years more, but for me, none came close to his earlier works, such as The Shining, The Stand and The Dead Zone.
I so agree with you, though I was first disappointed with It. I felt it could have ended a few hundred pages ealier, and it it had I wouldn't have read the awful ending he did have. The first half to three-quarters of the book were great, and then I wanted to throw the book in the lake. It was many years before I picked up another King novel, and that was The Tommyknockers. I actually loved that book and my faith was restored, only to be disappointed with the next one I read which was so awful I can't even recall it.

I haven't really liked another of his books since, though I enjoyed 11/22/63 quite a bit and again, was disappointed with the ending. He doesn't suffer writer's block much, but his earlier work was just better. I loved all those books, so much so I have read and re-read them several times. If I was stranded on a desert isle, and I could choose five books to have with me, The Stand would be one of those. He doesn't seem to like that book as much as others do, but I think it was his best one.

Last edited by katygirl68; 03-31-2015 at 10:51 PM..

Old 03-31-2015, 10:51 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,507,985 times
The Twilight author. She used the same 25 cent words in every novel. Repetitive and reductive.

Old 03-31-2015, 10:59 PM

21,463 posts, read 10,564,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
I loved Herman Wouk's "Winds of war" and then felt letdown by the rest of his books.

I really enjoyed some of James Michener's books and really did not like some of them.

I read "Catch 22" by Kurt Vonnegut and thought it was a really great book. I was very disappointed that I did not like any of the other books by him that I read.

I very much enjoyed "Huckleberry Finn" by Mark Twain and then did not like anything else he wrote except "Life on the Mississippi" which doesn't really count as it's not a novel.

Some of John Steinbeck's books are great and I loved them, some suck and I hated them.

"The Prince of Tides" by Pat Conroy is a great book, I enjoyed it very much. I did not like any other book he wrote even though, I read them all.

"Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe" was a great read and then I did not like anything else Fannie Flagg wrote.

"War and Peace" by Tolstoy is a great book. I could not even finnish any of his other books.
I loved Herman Wouk's follow-up to Winds of Was, which I think was called War and Remembrance (parts I and II). I haven't read his other books, but I was contemplating getting the one he wrote about Zionists and the (re) formation of the Israeli state. I was thinking I would read it so I could understand what's going on in the region now.

Old 04-01-2015, 05:13 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,790,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
What trouble did McCullough have?
She stole a plot from a book by LM Montgomery, the writer of Anne of Green Gables. I mean, if you're going to steal a plot then at least pick someone more obscure. She did get called on it but I'm not sure to what extent.

Old 04-01-2015, 06:03 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,253,485 times
Quote:
"War and Peace" by Tolstoy is a great book.
Do you think it would have been as appreciated if he had kept his original title: War ... What Is It Good For?

Old 04-01-2015, 07:30 AM

26,719 posts, read 26,782,723 times
Quote:
Not Marjorie Morningstar! That book of his was fantastic. (Have not read The Winds of War.)

Old 04-01-2015, 08:11 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,700,000 times
I, too, became disenchanted with Stephen King after reading Pet Sematary and didn't read anything else until Under the Dome, which I read a few weeks ago. It was a decent enough story but my main complaint is that his characters are either Good or Bad and never anything in between.

I started out really like the Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris, but the series really took a dive 4 or 5 books in. I held my nose and finished it anyway, but it felt like a waste of time.

Old 04-01-2015, 09:10 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,253,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I, too, became disenchanted with Stephen King after reading Pet Sematary and didn't read anything else until Under the Dome, which I read a few weeks ago. It was a decent enough story but my main complaint is that his characters are either Good or Bad and never anything in between.
I love Stephen King's early stuff (Carrie through Firestarter).

I love most of his later works (Bag of Bones through Mr. Mercedes).

There are some exceptions, but for the most part it's his middle stuff I can't stand. Supposedly that's when he was a full-on addict and drunk, so that probably explains it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books