Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 07:54 PM

679 posts, read 809,801 times

Advertisements

James Patterson has some decent stand alone books. I must admit I haven't read as many of the stand alones as I have the Alex Cross and Women's Murder Club series. But James Patterson is a very quick read and keeps you turning the page (the 2-3 page chapters help).

Books: Checklist | The Official James Patterson Website
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2019, 10:25 PM

24 posts, read 12,739 times
Mystery falls into the genre of fiction where the stories are usually involving mysterious death or other paranormal events. In my experience DEADLY STILLWATER is one of the amazing creation of a compelling crime thriller. This book combines mystery and suspense and create a whole new plot of a crime thrilling experience. This book is based on the story of Detective Mac McRyan and his fellow St. Paul Police Chiefs and their effort to solve a double kidnapping. The story and the characters are really interesting and you will find the suspense increasing as you progress through the book. You will find yourself experiencing the effort of the detectives race against time to solve the mysteries of this crime.

Old 01-18-2019, 07:03 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,137,018 times
I love a good series. These are all good ( in no particular order ):

Elvis Cole, Robert Crais
Harry Bosch, Michael Connelly
Jack Reacher, Lee Child
Memory Man, David Baldacci
Joe Ledger, Jonathan Maberry
Will Robie, David Baldacci

Old 01-18-2019, 10:06 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,373,551 times
Linda Fairstein writes some good stories, set in NYC, recurring characters but I think the stories do fine as stand alones.

John Sanford has a few stories (not the Prey novels) featuring a main character named Virgil Flowers that are set in MN and stand alone just fine.

Old 01-18-2019, 06:02 PM

6,138 posts, read 4,500,962 times
The one you want by Yrsa Sigurdardottir is I Remember You. It's a film and it was on Netflix.

Try In The Woods by Tana French. Complex, well-written, eerie and mysterious. Or Broken Harbor, same author, and neither part of a series.

And if you like the Scandinavians, try Lars Kepler or Arne Dahl. So much plot.

Old 01-19-2019, 06:55 AM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oeccscclhjhn View Post

Elvis Cole, Robert Crais
Jack Reacher, Lee Child
No one writes like Connelly! And I love Child's Jack Reacher series.

Old 01-20-2019, 09:23 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,691,273 times
It’s been a few years since I read it, but Steven White’s Kill Me made a big impression. The early description of driving a stick-shift car on the Floyd Hill section of I70...that alone hooked me. People who have frequently driven that will understand.

Then the central theme of the book—consequences of having made an unusual type of arrangement for an “assisted death”—carried me through the rest of the book. The tale definitely fits the term thriller!

Old 01-20-2019, 10:15 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oeccscclhjhn View Post

Elvis Cole, Robert Crais
Jack Reacher, Lee Child

Yes, Crais and Connelly.

I like Michael Palmer for his medical thrillers...

Old 01-20-2019, 06:19 PM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
It’s been a few years since I read it, but Steven White’s Kill Me made a big impression.
Yes, I also really enjoyed White as an author. I was sorry to see his Alan Gregory series come to an end.

Stephen White Q & A

Old 01-21-2019, 08:04 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times
I've been told by avid readers that the books written after Stieg Larsson's death by a recruited writer are actually on par with the original three books. YOu may want to give those a try. I intend to at some point.

I have also enjoyed John Sandford's books - you don't necessarily have to read his Virgil Flowers or Lucas Davenport books in order. I picked the Davenport series up in the middle and jumped around until I settled into a groove with no continuity issues.

I just read the Chalk Man and that was pretty cool. Also, The Dry by Jane Harper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books