Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2006, 02:22 PM
MHT

434 posts, read 2,254,151 times

Advertisements

I just finished Perfect Match by Jodi Picoult. Very good book. As a parent it really makes you think what you would do and how far you would go for your child.

I read just about everything. Not crazy about Dean Koontz or Stephen King but otherwise just about any book is worth reading. I do have to limit my trips to the library as if I have a book to read I don't want to do anything else. If I have a lot to get done I don't go to the library.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2006, 03:42 PM

69 posts, read 175,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixieshmoo View Post
John Grisham is a great choice for the legal thrillers, James Patterson and Dean Koontz are great for suspense and weird stuff and of course, there's no better author than Stephen King (any and all of his stuff is recommended). I hang out in Barnes & Noble when I'm running errands and don't have to be home yet. I don't always buy, I just love being there and looking for new topics and books. Reading, no matter what type of heading it falls under, is truly the greatest key to education. I even make my kids read. Even if they don't want to, they have to at least read something daily or a book weekly, etc.
I love Dean Koontz too, my boyfriend got me to reading his stuff, personally I am not a Stephen King fan although he has scard the you know what out of my sister a few times she couldn't sleep for days after Cujo. What I hate is I find a great book read it then realize oh no it's part of series and then I feel left behind. I love Barnes and Noble too. I found a book set in Amish country with a female hero a cop or something and now I can't remember the author anyone know who I am talking about?

Old 09-21-2006, 12:09 AM

153 posts, read 563,155 times
Thumbs up Just found this thread...

Currently reading: Brave New World, Aldous Huxley...and it's blowing my mind! A furistic utopian novel written in 1932 that is at the same time horrifying AND uncomfortably familiar. I'm caught up in this story! Anybody read any of his stuff?

Just finished: The Trunk Murderess: Winnie Judd Ruth, Jana Bommersbach...while I was visiting Phoenix, I read this true story written by an award-winning investigative reporter of a Phoenix woman who was tried & convicted of shooting her 2 best friends in a jealous rage, cutting one of them into pieces, and storing them in 2 footlockers and a couple suitcases for transport to Los Angeles. Bommersbach does an awesome job digging for the truth, and unearths unthinkable corruption in 1930's Phoenix government. A great real-life whodunit!

Some of my favorites: The Red Tent, Anita Diamant
Mists of Avalon, Marion Zimmer Bradley
The Lorax, Dr. Seuss

Favorite Oprah club books: This Much I Know is True, Wally Lamb
She's Come Undone, Wally Lamb
We Were the Mulvaneys, Joyce Carol Oates

Favorite Stephen King:
Gerald's Game
Dolores Claiborne
The Dark Tower Series
The Stand
Nightshift

Favorite non-fiction: The Dance of the Dissident Daughter, Sue Monk Kidd
The New First Three Years of Life, Burton L. White
(my parenting bible for 3 yrs.)

One day I WILL read: Atlas Shrugged, Ayn Rand

Great thread, Isabella!

Last edited by doublet; 09-21-2006 at 12:31 AM..

Old 09-21-2006, 12:47 AM

622 posts, read 2,708,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublet View Post
Currently reading: Brave New World, Aldous Huxley...and it's blowing my mind!
Great book! And it is so relevant to what our culture is experiencing today.

Old 09-21-2006, 05:49 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,153,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariatherese View Post
Great book! And it is so relevant to what our culture is experiencing today.
Oh - it's been many years since I read that! I think I will check it out of the library again, it is indeed an incredible book.

Old 09-21-2006, 06:14 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,620,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublet View Post
Currently reading: Brave New World, Aldous Huxley...and it's blowing my mind! A furistic utopian novel written in 1932 that is at the same time horrifying AND uncomfortably familiar. I'm caught up in this story! Anybody read any of his stuff?
I read this in high school. I can't say that I really liked it all that much. The irony is, that when I homeschooled my son I had him read it! He didn't like it much either, however he did like "1984", and "Animal Farm".

As far as what I'm reading at the moment, hmm..."Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince", (nothing mind-shattering there, just fun. ), "The Lakota Way - Stories and Lessons for Living", (a very thoughtful book. I like it alot. I've read it a number of times. May have to buy another copy.), "Holy Blood, Holy Grail", (no, I don't really believe the theory about Jesus being married and having a family. It's an interesting theory, but I don't believe there's solid evidence for it. But, reading this book seemed to naturally follow "The Davinci Code".

Yes, I'm one of those who gets involved in multiple books at any given moment. You know, so many books, so little time...

Old 09-21-2006, 09:19 AM

1,962 posts, read 5,196,033 times
The Bible KJV all the time, but just finished Patrick J. Buchanan "State of Emergency." People were in trouble.

Old 09-21-2006, 01:17 PM

153 posts, read 563,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
The Bible KJV all the time, but just finished Patrick J. Buchanan "State of Emergency." People were in trouble.
LOL! I guess so...

Old 09-29-2006, 06:28 PM

10 posts, read 55,808 times
I just finished "Sounds of the River"; it is a memoir by Da Chen. I could not wait to finish it - excellent read. The USA is not perfect. However, after reading this book, I am more grateful for the many opportunities that this country offers.

Old 09-29-2006, 06:49 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,983,593 times
I've come out of bookstores empty handed in the last few months, there's nothing in fiction or non-fiction that is particularly appealing to me right now. I love anything that's credibly written to do with the Bible Codes, I've pretty much left politics and international relations on the back burners as I'm sick of Bush, Hillary Clinton, Rumsfeld, and all the gloom and doomers, the American Empire strategists, and all the Islamic apologists. There are no biographies that are catching my attention either. So I'm just bored with the lack of a selection that interests me right now. I really enjoy a very well written book where I can get drawn into the story as well as luxuriate over the way a book is written if the author or authoress is a master of English. I am floored and in awe of Anne Rice when she's up to top form. No book matches, in my opinion, the masterpiece of English that Interview with a Vampire did back in the early 80's. Just reading her word choices, sentences, paragraphs...it's spellbindingly beautiful. Stephen King is a poor writer in my opinion. He does have a good imagination, but his writing is disappointing and sometimes in my opinion amateurish. I find Dean Koontz very very good, and Brian Lumley too. If I'm reading a book and no matter who it's written by, if it's poorly written, I stop and put it away. I just can't get into it if I can't enjoy the writing too. One biography I'm eagerly awaiting actually is a new account of the real Marie Antoinette. It turns out there's substantial evidence that she was blackmailed by English gangs in London who wrote up the rumors about her, snuck them into France, and were paid off by Louis XVI until a pile of them were discovered in the Bastille and reprinted and then distributed throughout France. That mudslinging is what tarnished her reputation and was believed by the masses. There's even substantial evidence that she never uttered the words "let them eat cake" (cake being a lowgrade foodstuff). A good biography on her that bores through the inuendo and rumor would fascinate me, especially in light of what she had to endure if she was actually innocent of these rumors. So, right now I'm bookless...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books