Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 03:17 AM

69 posts, read 238,958 times

Advertisements

I'm a few days late getting back with this thread and it has certainly evolved. I hope that I did not play a role in the change in direction.

Torrie, just to clarify regarding your response to me:

"Nothings changed about Boise that makes it great place (paradise) to live and work. The only difference is your unfortunate job loss. You worked in an industry that's tied to real esate, right? Regardless of whether you lived in Boise or somewhere else, don't you think you'd be having a similar problem if you were somewhere different? My guess is yes, otherwise you'd be outta here pursuing a different location.

Just to be clear, there's nothing fictious about the stories I've posted. You unfortunately picked an industry that's being heavily affected due to the mortgage crisis. So to say you were "fooled" into moving to Boise....well I just don't think that's a fair statement as you would have most likely been in the same predicament regardless of where in the USA you called home. Your timing in the industry just so happend to not work in your favor."

I mentioned that I read articles "like Torrie posted". It was just a general statement. That did not mean that these articles were specifically recommended by you. I didn't "know" you when I relocated here. So please take no offense. No implication of fictitious postings intended. I enjoy most of your posts.

It's my fault if I allowed magazine articles about how Boise is the No. 1 place in the country to relocate to feed my decision on where to move. In my line of work, the situation would be the same in many other states right now. However, I live in Boise and the post is about the job market in Boise. Currently, I believe the job market is horrible for civil engineers, surveyors, contractors and other fields related to growth and development. The fact that some believe that the job market is good here because there are opportunities in hamburger flipping, floor sweeping and other service jobs doesn't help me at all. As suggested, some of us could start businesses from their garage ... look what Bill Gates did; or create the new pet rock. Not likely though for most people.

What would probably be most helpful here and more in line with the OP intention would be for people to comment on specific professions, trades, lines of work etc. This may help those in a specific line of work evaluate their potential in our market. How is your profession doing, how is the market, are there opportunities......

I'll start:

Civil Engineering, surveying, home building etc: very slow now, alot of layoffs. Possible opportunities for those beginning their careers with 1 - 6 years experience

Hamburger flipping: I've heard the potential is unlimited! (Sorry. Just kidding.)

Who's Next.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 11:52 AM

879 posts, read 2,857,417 times
These are the fastest growing companies in Idaho. So if they're the "fastest growing" one could assume they're hiring?

17 Idaho companies rank among nation’s fastest-growing 5,000 (http://www.idahobusiness.net/archive.htm/2008/08/28/17-Idaho-companies-rank-among-nations-fastestgrowing-5000 - broken link)

Old 08-28-2008, 02:17 PM

130 posts, read 428,287 times
I took the liberty of investigating some of these companies.

For you computer gurus out there, Bodybuilder.com looks very promising! They are indeed hiring.

Old 08-28-2008, 07:31 PM

278 posts, read 906,003 times
The IT/software field is not too good. Most of the area's big employers in the field (Micron, HP, and SuperValu specifically) are laying off and have been for a while. However there are a number of small employers with positions open. My experience has been that right now there are a lot of resumes floating around, most of the employers are picky about what they want, and they offer much lower salaries than the aforementioned large employers have in the past.

In summary, in the Boise IT/software market it should be possible to find something but the search may take some time and the money may not be the greatest.

Old 08-29-2008, 12:10 PM
HDL HDL started this thread

3,216 posts, read 6,785,211 times
Smile I saw this today CrownVic95 and thought it might be up your alley

Looks really good to me and the position(s) showed up as being available in Boise in my job search email today, as well as other cities /states . If you get on with them, please come back and let me know !!! Best wishes to you and much success !

The Defense Contract Audit Agency (DCAA) is looking for talented people to join our participative work teams at one of our 350+ field audit offices around the country.

DCAA : Career Employment Opportunities

USAJOBS (http://jobsearch.usajobs.gov/getjob.asp?JobID=75202462&aid=33937551-2988&WT.mc_n=MKT000125 - broken link)

TARGETED WORK ENVIRONMENT(S):
Time in Career: Attracting applicants who want a work environment that welcomes entry and different stages of career from novice to retiree.
Mission Focused: Attracting applicants who want a work environment that welcomes all motivations, from general service commitment to a specific passion.
Flexible Arrangements: Attracting applicants who want a work environment that welcomes and accommodates traditional and flexible work arrangements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
<snip snip...
I’ve done lots of different things over the years. Most recently accounting clerk/data analysis, farther back retail management, customer service/account management, and being a geek at heart I’ve dabbled as an electronics technician. I still build and repair PCs for fun.

Old 08-29-2008, 03:38 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,711,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDL View Post
Looks really good to me and the position(s) showed up as being available in Boise in my job search email today, as well as other cities /states . If you get on with them, please come back and let me know !!! Best wishes to you and much success !

The Defense Contract Audit Agency (DCAA) is looking for talented people to join our participative work teams at one of our 350+ field audit offices around the country.

DCAA : Career Employment Opportunities

USAJOBS (http://jobsearch.usajobs.gov/getjob.asp?JobID=75202462&aid=33937551-2988&WT.mc_n=MKT000125 - broken link)

TARGETED WORK ENVIRONMENT(S):
Time in Career: Attracting applicants who want a work environment that welcomes entry and different stages of career from novice to retiree.
Mission Focused: Attracting applicants who want a work environment that welcomes all motivations, from general service commitment to a specific passion.
Flexible Arrangements: Attracting applicants who want a work environment that welcomes and accommodates traditional and flexible work arrangements.
Thank you.

At first glance, I'd say I don't meet the academic requirements since I don't have a degree or 24 semester hours in accounting, but I'll check into into it further and advise.

Old 08-29-2008, 04:43 PM

Talking You're very welcome!!!

Seems like a good opportunity . Maybe you can get some additional schooling?! Something to consider since it is only 24 semester hours in accounting .

Best of luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Thank you.

At first glance, I'd say I don't meet the academic requirements since I don't have a degree or 24 semester hours in accounting, but I'll check into into it further and advise.

Old 09-02-2008, 11:22 AM

1 posts, read 1,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesster View Post
I've said it before, so I'll say it again. My employer in Boise is hiring for over the phone tech support and Spanish language customer care. You don't have to speak Spanish for the tech support jobs. The benefits are decent, you get health care and there is room for advancement. They've been starting new classes every two weeks with about 20-30 people per class. Some of my co-workers are in their 50s, so they don't discriminate based on age. I work in a call center, but the pay starts at around $11 an hour, and rises once you complete your 6 month introductory period. Better than flipping hamburgers, anyway.

Anyone who's interested can send me a PM and I'll give their contact info.
Hesster, I just joined and can't figure out how to PM you. There doesn't seem to be an option. MY husband is looking for a Spanish customer care job. He has 1.5 years call center experience and is fully bilingual. I would love more info about the job. If you can somehow PM, that would be great! Thank you!

Old 09-02-2008, 11:41 AM

Welcome boise2tropics !!

If you click on a posters' name, there is a pulldown menu and one choice is:Send a direct message to Hesster . If you select this option, then you can DM (formerly known as PM ) this person.

Best wishes and please let us know if your husband gets a job at Hesster's company !

Quote:
Originally Posted by boise2tropics View Post
Hesster, I just joined and can't figure out how to PM you. There doesn't seem to be an option. MY husband is looking for a Spanish customer care job. He has 1.5 years call center experience and is fully bilingual. I would love more info about the job. If you can somehow PM, that would be great! Thank you!

Old 09-03-2008, 11:38 AM

61 posts, read 254,771 times
Default Don't mean to threadjack..

I have been reading this thread and it's pretty interesting to me. What I would be interested to know is if there is a demographic/type of industry hurting more than another.

My husband and I are moving to Boise next summer...he will be graduating from dental school and joining an established practice with his brother. I am going to pursue a graduate degree in a different field than I am currently in that has good job placement, but until then (or during) I would like to work...I have bachelor's degrees in statistics and neuroscience. It worries me that people aren't able to find work, and I wonder if it is because there are too many qualified applicants in terms of education (people without degrees are being shut out) or if places just aren't hiring. Though the job market is tough here in Cleveland, there is a fair supply of research-esque jobs that keep coming up, but I wonder if there won't really be a market for me until I get my graduate degree. Any thoughts/advice would be helpful. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area