Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 11:01 PM

17 posts, read 19,656 times

Advertisements

I've read dozens of posts with this sentiment: "don't go to a place and try to change it; rather, embrace it."

Serious question: is that what you're seeing? Transplants coming in trying to change Idaho? Or, is this just something you say on a message board?

People do move; every day, for all sorts of reasons. Politics are hardly the end-all-be-all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2018, 01:48 AM

29,221 posts, read 22,421,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sha256 View Post
I've read dozens of posts with this sentiment: "don't go to a place and try to change it; rather, embrace it."

Serious question: is that what you're seeing? Transplants coming in trying to change Idaho? Or, is this just something you say on a message board?

People do move; every day, for all sorts of reasons. Politics are hardly the end-all-be-all.
Newcomers cannot abandon the attitudes and social ways that have been developed over a lifetime, no matter what they say or try to do.

It's too ingrained to change very much quickly. So like it or not, change will happen in their new home place, period. The more new arrivals from another place, the faster and deeper the changes become and happen.

When the newcomers outnumber the native-borns, it becomes inevitable that the new place becomes very similar to the place that was left behind. Newcomers will continue to live their lives as it once was in their former homeland.

This is so pronounced that when sociologists want to study a group's old ways and traditions, they never conduct the study at the old homeland. They always find a remote colony to study.

Why? Because the homeland changes and evolves over time.

When migrants leave, they never experience the changes that happen after they're gone, so they hold longer and stronger to the older ways they left behind. Those old ways are their only long-standing cultural roots.

Old 06-13-2018, 11:16 AM

I won't refute anything you said; only point out that change is inevitable - as stated in your second to last paragraph.

You also assume that every newcomer is coming from the same place; and that every newcomer shares the views of their homeland; and also that there are no competing views.

Your statement resonates more with folks in California; because you know, the migrants are mostly immigrants. Whereas those migrating to Idaho are fellow citizens with potentially different political views. But, anywhere else in the world they're the same; Americans.

Old 06-15-2018, 10:36 PM

355 posts, read 565,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sha256 View Post

I would agree, people don't tend to move for political reasons (we kind of did, though), which is exactly what some are concerned about when people move from one place to another but aren't in line with the political ideologies in their new home.

I can't personally say that I experienced it, but I'd say that people in states surrounding California have probably seen it. I've read and heard stories that Oregon and Washington have gotten much more liberal as more Californians have moved there, probably the same for Nevada.

I certainly can't say it's happening in Idaho, as I haven't been here long enough. I think what I'm saying is that if you plan to move, I'd hope that you don't want to go from a blue state to a red one and try to change it into a blue one. There are tons of blue states (Texas seems to be turning purple), and personally I'd not want to move to a liberal state if given a choice. Sometimes we don't have a choice.

If I'm leaving something I don't agree with, then I wouldn't want to go to a new place that has a similar culture.

Secondly, I think it's disrespectful to those that already live there to try to change it, knowing that many will not be able to go somewhere else. Many may not care, but I happen to.

Just my $.02.

Old 06-16-2018, 11:59 AM

661 posts, read 836,075 times
All I know is here in CA every home listed on the market it seems they are moving to Idaho, I mean like every single home, it is crazy. Can the entire CA fit in Idaho?

Old 06-17-2018, 06:33 AM

277 posts, read 365,886 times
Californians are not moving to Idaho in an attempt to make it like CA. They are moving to ID to escape the CA ideology and politics.

Old 06-17-2018, 07:38 AM

32,679 posts, read 48,175,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanSwitek View Post
Californians are not moving to Idaho in an attempt to make it like CA. They are moving to ID to escape the CA ideology and politics.
Yes, that's exactly what they did in Oregon. Then as soon as they got settled, they started demanding tax payer paid programs that they had in richer California. Then it was social programs, and then voting to raise taxes and it didn't take too long before Californians who wanted California, but with cheaper real estate were moving in and out voting the native Oregonians. Now Oregon is loopier than California. Or it was until California just passed a law to fine restaurants for handing out plastic drinking straws. California now in the lead, again,

I sure see a lot of notes that say cheaper cost of living in Idaho is the motivation, no mention of escape from politics. All you have to do is to look at the experience of other states where Californians have concentrated to see what happens.

Which is all moot. Americans can move wherever they want to. They want to move to Idaho, no matter what their motivation, they can move to Idaho.

I wonder where the figures come from. I see "where are people moving" figures that are generated from moving companies, and few people use moving companies. Or the figures are generated from uhaul company truck rentals, and not everyone uses a uhaul to move nor is everyone using a uhaul using it to move a household.

Old 06-17-2018, 11:03 AM

1,444 posts, read 1,942,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forzalugano View Post
Californians who have moved to Idaho are not especially liberal as a group (22% identify as liberal), with a narrow majority identifying as conservative (54%). If anything, Californians coming to Idaho are more conservative than native Idahoans.
Oh, but worry not--when embittered political refugees target places like Idaho and Montana as their new safe spaces, they aren't gonna change a thing!

Old 06-17-2018, 12:18 PM

127 posts, read 141,127 times
We didn't move out of California to escape the politics. It was because doctors have the lowest reimbursement rates in the country in California and we needed to make enough to pay back our student loans. Our move was purely financially motivated. Not all of California is overpopulated with traffic. North of San Francisco is very rural and beautiful.

Old 06-17-2018, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanSwitek View Post
Way to cast a wide, and mostly inaccurate, blanket statement.

Asking newcomers to abandon thier views, political or otherwise, goes against everything our nation stands for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area