Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 10:17 AM

731 posts, read 959,435 times

Advertisements

Wow.

Well, thank you for confirming my fears. Maybe I should leave now before I encounter more, like yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2015, 11:39 AM

122 posts, read 230,144 times
Its nothing new or unique to Idaho. A google search turned up a few bumper stickers...

As someone coming from a once-small northwest town in the foothills that is now unrecognizable in any way from the one I grew up in thanks to massive influx of new residents, I get it. Trust me, I get it. However, job transfers and family that has lived in Boise for many years has brought us to this wonderful place. Shifting demographics and population movement is hitting almost everywhere.

I am just hoping that in each of our daily interactions with each other we can all accept the best in each of us, and do what we can to keep the character of Boise as close to as it has been as possible.

Old 08-18-2015, 09:08 AM

731 posts, read 959,435 times
"As someone coming from a once-small northwest town in the foothills that is now unrecognizable in any way from the one I grew up in thanks to massive influx of new residents"

Happening all over, the small town I grew up in has forever changed, as have the towns each of my parents grew up in. More people everywhere.

"I am just hoping that in each of our daily interactions with each other we can all accept the best in each of us"

Yes!!!

Old 08-18-2015, 10:21 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,905,541 times
I tried counting Idaho plates the other day and lost count and decided it's best to pay attention to driving and not counting

Old 08-18-2015, 10:27 AM

1,330 posts, read 1,541,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boi2socal View Post
If it is any consolation I see a ton of Texas plates in California. Like a ridiculous amount.
Same thing here, but reverse that

Old 08-18-2015, 11:12 AM

879 posts, read 2,859,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkiforniainHouston View Post
Same thing here, but reverse that

I've known three people in just the last few months that moved to Houston from SoCal. I've also met a gaggle of Austin folk who moved to LA this year. So maybe it is balancing out? haha. But I would guess more Californians are making their way to Texas than Texans to California.

Old 08-19-2015, 01:41 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,310,215 times
People's resentments have merit. They're seeing a threat of Boise facing changes through expansion, and - where Californians are concerned - fear that the political and economic climate will change. I've watched that happen here in Portland over the last 37 years where "Californication" has, indeed, changed the city, and I hate it.

But it certainly isn't just Californians. In my job, where I process service requests for new customers, I know that new arrivals come from all over. I've spoken to a couple of people from back East who chose to leave behind the harsh winters ("climate refugees"). Funny thing is, California is a state that's always been full of transplants from somewhere else - many are not native Californians.

Old 08-19-2015, 06:56 AM

29,219 posts, read 22,393,554 times
I think we are all going to see more climate refugees in the years to come.
Many people from Illinois and eastward may still want 4 seasons, but they might not want to deal with 50 inches of snow every winter much longer. Arizona and California aren't going to be cooling down anytime soon, either, I think.

Its ironic to think both would think of moving here. People used to escape cold dry places, but it appears they are in fashion right now. One of many 21st century changes, I guess. Many more changes will follow.

Old 08-25-2015, 01:19 PM

26 posts, read 27,381 times
As Californians who will be purchasing property around Boise soon and moving there in retirement let us assure you that no one hates Californians more than us. We're tired of the rude, self-centered, self-important, entitled jerks. And that's just the politicians. ;-) Seriously, the last thing we want to bring to your beautiful area is what makes California a nice place to leave. We are both native to CA and are disgusted by what it's become. I worked in Boise for 6 months on a contract and my wife was amazed at the difference it made in my demeanor. Boise reminds me of where I grew up, a medium-sized city with friendly people (yes there was one in CA). My wife grew up in a more rural setting in very northern CA and is looking forward to getting back to that style of life. We'll change our plates as soon as we get there and do our best to fit in, not try to get people to fit to us. If people are rude to us due to where we come from then we just chalk it up to ignorance. Get to know us and if you still hate us then so be it. :-) We don't think all Idahoans are backwoods hicks any more than you should think we're all a-holes.

Old 08-25-2015, 01:39 PM

742 posts, read 1,130,159 times
So if people in Idaho are rude and judgmental to you (ex-Californians) you'll chalk it up to ignorance, but it's okay for you to be rude and judgmental about the rest of California / Californians? Is that not also ignorant?

There's more to it than just changing the plates and blending in, by the way...

Today I was walking down Idaho Street, coming back from lunch, and I saw some guy in a Mazda Miata start honking his horn like a banshee at a person trying to parallel park; he then squealed around him and proceeded to drive down the street at about 50 mph, weaving in and out of the lanes around the slower moving traffic. There are idiots and aholes everywhere. You won't escape them here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area