Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 02:17 PM

30,434 posts, read 19,200,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickdoo View Post
Everyday as I wait to sell, I listen to , The Animals - We've Gotta Get Out Of This Place
Great song....and appropriate!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 02:30 PM

229 posts, read 707,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanSwitek View Post
You will certainly make more living in and around LA. You will also likely spend most of just to keep your chin above water. Factor in the stress of the traffic, lack of parking in most places, crime (wondering if your care will even be there when you return), over crowding, over development and people behaving poorly in general. I have a lot of friends who left for those reasons. None have returned.
Hence my mention of the quality of life. For some people, it will be worth the reduction in wages. But while Boise is cheaper in general, not everything will be cheap compared to L.A. or any other big city. I don't think the wages in Boise take into account that discrepancy. L.A. can be unforgiving, but a LOT of people live paycheck to paycheck in Boise too. There was a piece about that in the Statesman or maybe KTVB within the past year or so. Wish I could remember specifics but I remember my jaw dropping when I saw the percentage.

Old 05-19-2015, 02:32 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,905,541 times
I posted this last week in another thread that has since been closed lol. It is fitting for this thread and has numbers of ins and outs for surrounding states:

Boise, Meridian, Nampa, Caldwell news by Idaho Statesman

Living and working in Idaho: Where did you come from, where did you go?

Incoming and outgoing Idaho migration. All stats are for 2014

http://media.idahostatesman.com/smed...S.AuSt.36.jpeg

All stats are for 2014

http://media.idahostatesman.com/smed...6.AuSt.36.jpeg

And this is telling:

Which age groups moved to Idaho?

... and a youth movement
But Californians 21 to 30 made up the largest block coming to Idaho, with 2,195 in 2014 and at least 1,734 in each of the past five years.

Old 05-19-2015, 02:38 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,828,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
I have several younger professional friends who have moved to Boise with great career jobs already in tact and most are from California and they always mention how life is just so much easier here, even though they make less than they did in CA, but they make more than a living wage in Boise. Will they all stay as time marches on? Depends on where the journey of life takes them.

Kind of off topic, but I know from personal experience that the wages for jobs in Oregon and Utah are similar to what is offered in Boise based on my type of career. Many people move to Portland for the lifestyle but the situation is somewhat similar to Boise, both are vibrant and beautiful cities, but it can be difficult to land that perfect job unless you already have it secured before moving, or have the "in".
On that topic, a friend of mine moved from Boston to Portland,OR a few years ago with no job for the lifestyle etc. Ran through his savings in a year of looking for work and ended up taking a job in LA

Old 05-19-2015, 02:54 PM

742 posts, read 1,130,014 times
It helps to study the Boise economy and what drives it.

For some professions, Boise is ripe; for others, it is void of opportunity. Other sectors, in particular real estate/development/construction, can go from blazing hot to thousands upon thousands being laid off / unemployed (see, 2008). The same thing with tech and IT (see the 20,000 layoffs from HP, Micron, MPC, et al, from 2007-2010).

If you're in health care, you'll probably find a great job here. IT seems to be hit and miss. Entrepreneurs find it easy to start up and roll in Boise. However, if you're in education, don't expect to find much in the way of work, and if you do, say hello to a $32,000 a year paycheck. Government and professional, very competitive and you need to know someone.

Otherwise, there's lots of service, retail, and call center jobs here!

Old 05-20-2015, 01:06 PM

91 posts, read 165,920 times
Can I ask any of you your thoughts on the job market in Boise and surrounding areas for someone who does digital marketing?

eg: Taking care of the company website, copywriting, Facebook/social marketing, SEO, etc et al?

Old 05-20-2015, 02:05 PM

742 posts, read 1,130,014 times
That sort of question, you'd probably do best to actually reach out to some people in that market and ask them. My non-professional opinion, based on only some friends who kinda do that sort of work, is that they do it on the side while they have other more regular employment. Most never quite establish their business or have enough clients to do it full time.

For instance, our firm has gone through over 10 social marketing companies in the past 4-5 years, none of which still exist today. We don't have much work for them, maybe a refresher every year or so, and some of the smaller guys offer better rates (especially when we can exchange services). But none stick around long enough for a second job.

Old 05-20-2015, 02:10 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,905,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californiasucks View Post
Can I ask any of you your thoughts on the job market in Boise and surrounding areas for someone who does digital marketing?

eg: Taking care of the company website, copywriting, Facebook/social marketing, SEO, etc et al?
I'm not sure about that specific career, but a quick Google search brought up several job sites with dozens of positions for digital marketing.

Old 05-20-2015, 04:39 PM

731 posts, read 959,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalsLOL View Post
You can hope all you want. The more people that move here, and that continue to move and live on the peripheries, and you'll get the same congestion that EVERY other large city in the nation has. Only here it will likely be worse, because we don't even have the beginnings of a workable public transit system.

There's nothing, I repeat, NOTHING special about Boise and Idaho that will prevent the things that have happened (or is happening) in California, Oregon, Washington, Arizona, Colorado, and the SLC metro area, from happening here in due time.

In the next 5-10 years, you'll see the cost of housing start to dramatically outpace the wages. It was happening in 2001-2008 before the recession, and you're starting to see it happen now.

Congestion will outpace construction.

Crime will follow growth.

I'm not saying anyone is a bad person because they're escaping these things and, as a result, bringing it to the places they're moving. It's a phenomenon far larger than any individual. But the attitude some have (not you) that it isn't going to happen here because.... __________? is simply insane.
I am curious, have you ever lived outside of ID? If so, where?

Old 05-20-2015, 04:41 PM

731 posts, read 959,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalsLOL View Post
Likewise, most of my generation here in Boise subsequently moved from here to the coastal cities in search of decent careers and pay. None have returned.

Idaho loses a number of people each year that move to other states in search of better professional opportunities. You can't eat the scenery and quality of life.
In my experience, so far, a *large* portion of those relocating from CA (higher wages, and with that, higher cost of living) are retirees.

For most of those retirees, income stays the same, regardless of where they chose to live, but the CoL is MUCH lower here vs. there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area