Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 06:16 PM

2,919 posts, read 3,193,148 times

Advertisements

Just my opinion, but funny how Seattle was a pretty manageable, fair populated, and affordable city before all the Californians starting rolling in...same thing has possibly happened to Portland, Bend, Boise, Prescott, Coeur Delane, Wenatchee, Sandpoint, Medford, Ashland, Missoula, Rapid City, Bozeman, Kalispell, Eugene, Roseburg, Post Falls, Reno, ....have I missed any places??? I know some folks who have had to move to TN, KY, SC, IN and etc, from the west coast....in order to afford a decent, nice looking home with a little land. I guess I cant blame folks for wanting out of CA....so its two sides to one coin.

Last edited by folkguitarist555; 10-10-2014 at 07:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2014, 10:44 AM

63 posts, read 167,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boisefan88 View Post
I am saying, that by and large you get more "wingnut conservatives" moving here than "liberals." Anyone who has been in the state in before the late 90's has realized how much further to the right Idaho has become. Even older conservatives like Batt recognize this.
This is the truth!

In fact, by and large, they all state the same reason (DEEP RED) for moving to Boise and Idaho.

Yet, they don't realize that population growth and urbanization is one of the single largest contributors to future liberal political dominance.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:05 AM

85 posts, read 294,714 times
...and that great future urban political dominance had led to that great successs story----Detroit !

Old 10-29-2014, 06:51 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,073,088 times
I too am contemplating Idaho. But, is it a racist environment?

Old 10-29-2014, 09:51 AM

12 posts, read 57,939 times
Just went through and re-read everything. Lots of great info. Boise area is still number 1 on my list for retirement. I would prefer something a bit more wooded (like Coeur D'alene area) but it's too cold for my wife (that's why I have plans to get some wooded acreage for my part time cabin).

8.5 years to go. Haha

As far as the electricity costs, I currently have solar which brings my total monthly bill (including cost of solar equipment) to under $300. Before solar, we were pushing $450 a month and that was a few years ago. I'm sure without Solar we would be at $550 per mo now. Just crazy.

Old 10-29-2014, 07:31 PM

3,825 posts, read 9,492,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
I too am contemplating Idaho. But, is it a racist environment?
Will someone please dispel this myth once and for all. Pretty sad that a very small group of people who were run off 20 years ago are still a stain on the state.

Old 10-30-2014, 12:10 PM

492 posts, read 1,042,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
State liquor stores, can't see why you can't sell the stuff in grocery stores. No reason why the state needs to have retail employees working for them.
Be careful what you wish for. When WA ended its liquor stores, prices rose significantly. Turns out it did benefit the public to have non-profit stores. Many people do like the convenience though.

Quote:
Police with way too much time on their hands. Got pulled over more in the 6 years I lived in Boise than the rest of my driving years combined. One time it was for going 4 miles over the limit.
My first thought when I saw this thread. I left Boise in large part because of this. When I visit I can see more cops in half an hour than I'll see in a week where I live, where crime is also low. My brother got pulled over due to a clerical mistake at the DMV. He had paid a speeding ticket (38 in a 35 zone) a year earlier but it didn't get recorded. The officer slammed him to the pavement for a suspended license, nearly broke his elbow. When he "resisted" (got angry for doing nothing wrong and being slammed to pavement) he got left in a cell for a full day without food or water. End result was a $6000 fine and 500 hours of community service.

All things considered, though, I think Boise is a decent place to retire. You should be able to handle the temperature extremes and icy winter roads, though.

Old 05-08-2016, 09:05 AM

2 posts, read 2,598 times
Default In response to all the readers

I was born and raised in California and still live there, I just got home days ago from my first visit to the Boise area and I have to say , I was blown away by not only how nice everyone I met, and the beauty of the area.

At this point I am making plans to move and retire there as soon as I can. I found a community in Star called the Lakes at Prestine meadows I plan to buy in and we picked out the the house model we like.

As far as what I saw, it was so clean, no graffiti, to trash in water ways everywhere I went on the side of the road,,, no trash,,,,,everyone I met in resteraunts or stores were pleasant and very nice
. As far as the economy is concerned and my research, Carlly farina the ex CEO of HP screwed that up and I'm glad she's not in the running for VP of the United States anymore. But beyond that, yes the wages are low, which is hand in hand of the cost of living. Thus making the area attractive to retirees from anywhere. If your a person looking for a successful career in something you can do that there just like anywhere else . It depends how you want to live and what you want to do,,

As far as weather,,I was impressed how clear and fresh it is and yea I bet it's cold there but I m sure the roads are taken care of from what I see and hear they are. I used the green belt on a bike ride through Boise and I have never been so impressed and it was such an awesome experience. Everyone we passed smiled and said hello, it was clean and quite and saw lots friendly people. Something you never see in any part of California. And go to any water way in Califorina and look at the trash and debris everywhere even in the ocean. Not in any river or water way I saw while I was in in Idaho ,,never saw not even a plastic bag or a discarded cup. Nothing,,,,, how is that possible when California is a large trash can... Answer,,,, clearly it is people in Idaho care about there area and the water ways.

The areas I went are beautiful and green and clean and people are freindly ,,, what more could you want,,, I Went to Cascade and McCall and was further blown away by the beauty and environmental conditions and plan on buying a lot in Cascade for my RV and later build a cabin.
The housing prices are unbelievable low and quality is outstanding,,, there is tons of activities to do from water activities to hiking to whatever you want as I see it...

In closing,, I see the area after being there a week as the place I'm going to retire and enjoy my life around good people and positive things,,,
People that have negative things to say about the area clearly have personal issues or have really never been there,,,,See ya in Idaho soon..... can't wait,,,,,

regards,,,,,

Last edited by Ccox1956; 05-08-2016 at 09:19 AM..

Old 05-09-2016, 04:06 AM

75 posts, read 157,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccox1956 View Post
I was born and raised in California and still live there, I just got home days ago from my first visit to the Boise area and I have to say , I was blown away by not only how nice everyone I met, and the beauty of the area.

At this point I am making plans to move and retire there as soon as I can. I found a community in Star called the Lakes at Prestine meadows I plan to buy in and we picked out the the house model we like.

As far as what I saw, it was so clean, no graffiti, to trash in water ways everywhere I went on the side of the road,,, no trash,,,,,everyone I met in resteraunts or stores were pleasant and very nice
. As far as the economy is concerned and my research, Carlly farina the ex CEO of HP screwed that up and I'm glad she's not in the running for VP of the United States anymore. But beyond that, yes the wages are low, which is hand in hand of the cost of living. Thus making the area attractive to retirees from anywhere. If your a person looking for a successful career in something you can do that there just like anywhere else . It depends how you want to live and what you want to do,,

As far as weather,,I was impressed how clear and fresh it is and yea I bet it's cold there but I m sure the roads are taken care of from what I see and hear they are. I used the green belt on a bike ride through Boise and I have never been so impressed and it was such an awesome experience. Everyone we passed smiled and said hello, it was clean and quite and saw lots friendly people. Something you never see in any part of California. And go to any water way in Califorina and look at the trash and debris everywhere even in the ocean. Not in any river or water way I saw while I was in in Idaho ,,never saw not even a plastic bag or a discarded cup. Nothing,,,,, how is that possible when California is a large trash can... Answer,,,, clearly it is people in Idaho care about there area and the water ways.

The areas I went are beautiful and green and clean and people are freindly ,,, what more could you want,,, I Went to Cascade and McCall and was further blown away by the beauty and environmental conditions and plan on buying a lot in Cascade for my RV and later build a cabin.
The housing prices are unbelievable low and quality is outstanding,,, there is tons of activities to do from water activities to hiking to whatever you want as I see it...

In closing,, I see the area after being there a week as the place I'm going to retire and enjoy my life around good people and positive things,,,
People that have negative things to say about the area clearly have personal issues or have really never been there,,,,See ya in Idaho soon..... can't wait,,,,,

regards,,,,,
Hi Ccox1956 We bought a home in the Lakes at pristine Meadow in Star. our home will be completed in June. Our home is the last house next to the green space. the builder is Parkcrest homes, We also live in Southern Californis, We are retire to, and been visiting Boise for the past 3 years. we are so ready to leave California, behind us, Boise is so nice, we are looking forward for our move. Well hope to meet you. I heard that it wonderful Subdivion

Old 05-09-2016, 08:07 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,273,181 times
Going to a rest room at a gas station and finding Babs Johnson, Crackers, and Miss Cotton, STILL living there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area