Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 03:36 PM

1,868 posts, read 5,681,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntman58
More are moving out then in if you only look at people legally in calif. Then it is true but add the illegal to the mix and now you have more coming in then out same with Texas I bet or any boarder state. But I also know that people from calif are not the whole problem but a lot of it is the state it's self not keeping up with the times and yet begging people from out of state to move there. they make it look so so good tell you live there then you see the real facts and some move right back out later .I know of a few that came from the mid west and moved out of Idaho a few years later they could not make it with the house cost and all . Yes by New York and calif areas housing is cheep but to any one not from the west or east cost it is out of line.
I noticed home prices seem to be getting a little high in Idaho too. My friend just moved out there and only got 1800 sq ft for 300,000. Luckily she had equity from her California home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2006, 12:24 PM

278 posts, read 1,138,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon94
I noticed home prices seem to be getting a little high in Idaho too. My friend just moved out there and only got 1800 sq ft for 300,000. Luckily she had equity from her California home.
this is really one of the biggest reason most can afford a home they have had equity in a home already be it out of state or even in state. When you have that you can afford to buy. The people I feel sorry for are the young just starting out and the working poor. I also know with the wages for the most part in Idaho it almost takes two full time jobs and then some to own a home. In calif for a time people were all moving up in houseing, bigger and better .I saw the same thing starting in Idaho also and that to drives up prices for every one. When the up scaling slows or stops then the true housing problem come to light as it has in calif and other states

Old 07-29-2006, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntman58
this is really one of the biggest reason most can afford a home they have had equity in a home already be it out of state or even in state. When you have that you can afford to buy. The people I feel sorry for are the young just starting out and the working poor. I also know with the wages for the most part in Idaho it almost takes two full time jobs and then some to own a home. In calif for a time people were all moving up in houseing, bigger and better .I saw the same thing starting in Idaho also and that to drives up prices for every one. When the up scaling slows or stops then the true housing problem come to light as it has in calif and other states
I agree with you 100%! I think people who bought in the last 2 years in Cali with those ARM and interest only loans will be hurting soon. That's why it's such an exodus out of California. I moved to Texas before it got out of hand. I never bought In California.....would have been nice to have made some money by buying back in 99...but at the time I was a stay at home Mom so we had one income. How dare me want to stay home with my child and want a home! lol Anyway...I'm seeing more and more Cali plates out here in Texas too. Lots of Cali companies moving here too because they can't recruit anyone there. A serious "correction" is due!!

Old 07-29-2006, 06:15 PM

313 posts, read 834,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon94
I agree with you 100%! I think people who bought in the last 2 years in Cali with those ARM and interest only loans will be hurting soon. That's why it's such an exodus out of California. I moved to Texas before it got out of hand. I never bought In California.....would have been nice to have made some money by buying back in 99...but at the time I was a stay at home Mom so we had one income. How dare me want to stay home with my child and want a home! lol Anyway...I'm seeing more and more Cali plates out here in Texas too. Lots of Cali companies moving here too because they can't recruit anyone there. A serious "correction" is due!!
We were able to buy a home on one income in 2003. My husband was making $17 an hour at the time. We were just starting out after him getting out of the military. He had a lot of old bad credit on his credit report including a repoed car, all from when he joined the Marines. We were very lucky to have been able to buy a home to begin with and the only way we were able to buy was to get an interest only loan. Since house prices were going up so rapidly in our area it was not a mistake. I know that interest only loans are not good in a lot of areas but for some it is a good option. We can easily refi into a regular loan now no prob. We are choosing to move out of California instead tho. Yeah we have made a little bit on the equity of our home but not near enough to pay off another home. We will have a nice down payment and we will be able to get a nice home, on some acreage, in a nice area for our 2 and 4 year old to grow up. We are not looking to go somewhere else and turn it into Cali, in fact we are looking to get involved in the shaping of our new area so we can keep it from turning into Ca. If we liked Ca we would stay here but we don't so we are leaving.

We have been looking for at least 4 years for somewhere to move to. Eastern Idaho is the only place that we have found that we like everything about. The area is highly religious, very conservative and decent house prices. Yeah we could find cheaper houses somewhere else BUT we like other things about the area that are more important. We are not looking to change the area, we are looking to embrace the people there and their ways and we are looking to get involved to help keep it from growing too much or too quickly. We were too young when Central Ca started its major growing spurt to even get involved but now we are stuck with it the way that it is. Even if my DH were to get a really really good job, there is no way that we could ever afford to move out of our little starter home and into a bigger place.

Everyone that we have encountered while visiting there have been nothing but nice to us even after finding out that we are moving there and that we are from Ca. In fact, most people were encouraging us and telling us that we will fit right in. They realized that we have a lot of the same qualities as they do and a lot of the same wants for our family as they do. There are a lot of stereotypes about Californians and frankly not all of us are like that!

Old 07-30-2006, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StampinTami
We were able to buy a home on one income in 2003. My husband was making $17 an hour at the time. We were just starting out after him getting out of the military. He had a lot of old bad credit on his credit report including a repoed car, all from when he joined the Marines. We were very lucky to have been able to buy a home to begin with and the only way we were able to buy was to get an interest only loan. Since house prices were going up so rapidly in our area it was not a mistake. I know that interest only loans are not good in a lot of areas but for some it is a good option. We can easily refi into a regular loan now no prob. We are choosing to move out of California instead tho. Yeah we have made a little bit on the equity of our home but not near enough to pay off another home. We will have a nice down payment and we will be able to get a nice home, on some acreage, in a nice area for our 2 and 4 year old to grow up. We are not looking to go somewhere else and turn it into Cali, in fact we are looking to get involved in the shaping of our new area so we can keep it from turning into Ca. If we liked Ca we would stay here but we don't so we are leaving.

We have been looking for at least 4 years for somewhere to move to. Eastern Idaho is the only place that we have found that we like everything about. The area is highly religious, very conservative and decent house prices. Yeah we could find cheaper houses somewhere else BUT we like other things about the area that are more important. We are not looking to change the area, we are looking to embrace the people there and their ways and we are looking to get involved to help keep it from growing too much or too quickly. We were too young when Central Ca started its major growing spurt to even get involved but now we are stuck with it the way that it is. Even if my DH were to get a really really good job, there is no way that we could ever afford to move out of our little starter home and into a bigger place.

Everyone that we have encountered while visiting there have been nothing but nice to us even after finding out that we are moving there and that we are from Ca. In fact, most people were encouraging us and telling us that we will fit right in. They realized that we have a lot of the same qualities as they do and a lot of the same wants for our family as they do. There are a lot of stereotypes about Californians and frankly not all of us are like that!

Good luck on your move!! Where in California do you live? (sorry for the short post markablue)

Old 07-30-2006, 07:14 PM

278 posts, read 1,138,542 times
Quote:

I found Idaho to be to close to what calif was about 20 years ago for my tast and other things so left it. Well be moving when school is done for the wife. She also was a stay at home mom at first .now the kids are grown she is finishing her degree work then we are gone. Every thing you said about wanting to move and not doing when moved is us also. we are going to a deferent state that I believe fits us way better then Idaho ever did when I was there and they destroyed my first family. a short note I became disabled in Idaho and they let the ex divorce me with it as a reason why. they also made me start life over with nothing as they gave her the home, money, kids . Like I said every thing and yet if there divorce laws were fallowed it would not have been this way. They also refused to arrest her for the abuses of my kids and self. Nor the damage she did to the home. the abusse was in every way shape and form you can think of .From the hitting us to locking up all moneys and chaging them to her own after 20 years Of building a life together. to this day my son has problems from this as she kept him and his sister him away form me. Idaho let her do that with out looking into my complaints or how bad it effected the kids . I know what a abused stay at home mom go's threw as that is what I got to deal with because of Idaho . Yes I did not live in the east but had to go there many times for business when I did live in Idaho. It just is not for us as we value family and after what Idaho did to my first family I will never return there not even to visit. I also boycott any thing made in Idaho I can. Yes this includes potatoes I buy them from Oregon, Washington or do with out. My beef is not with the people of Idaho but the government and how it is run or not run. I am also a conservative big time always have been and will be. I also now have my son but still do not see my daughter at all because of Idaho and her mothers doings . In My opinion Idaho is now were near family friendly .They showed me they care not for families but only how they look on paper to out of state investors and potential new comers

Old 08-04-2006, 10:01 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:

We have been looking for at least 4 years for somewhere to move to. Eastern Idaho is the only place that we have found that we like everything about. The area is highly religious, very conservative and decent house prices. !

I wonder if you wouldn't mind expanding a little about what you mean referring to the area as "highly religious"? Is this limited to one church and members of other churches tend to be ostracized or?

Old 08-04-2006, 11:40 AM

313 posts, read 834,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell
I wonder if you wouldn't mind expanding a little about what you mean referring to the area as "highly religious"? Is this limited to one church and members of other churches tend to be ostracized or?
All the stats that I have read about the people in the area, show that the overall % of people that are religious is very high (76%). Much higher than any other area that we looked at, and much much higher than where we are currently living (38%). There is a high percentage of LDS (54%) but from what I have been told, it is not too bad if you are not in one of the smaller communities. If you are in one of the smaller communities, than there are very few non LDS so there would be more of a chance of being ostracized. I have asked about if people would shun us because of us not being LDS and I was told not to worry about it. I heard complaints about the area just over the Utah border and I don't feel like it is bad where we are looking. Everyone that we have encountered has been nothing but nice!

Old 08-04-2006, 04:14 PM

Quote:

I don't mean this in a rude way...but...if you were only able to get in a home with an interest only loan...than how would you refi to a fixed NOW with no problem?

Old 08-04-2006, 04:46 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
All the stats that I have read about the people in the area, show that the overall % of people that are religious is very high (76%). Much higher than any other area that we looked at, and much much higher than where we are currently living (38%). There is a high percentage of LDS (54%) but from what I have been told, it is not too bad if you are not in one of the smaller communities. If you are in one of the smaller communities, than there are very few non LDS so there would be more of a chance of being ostracized. I have asked about if people would shun us because of us not being LDS and I was told not to worry about it. I heard complaints about the area just over the Utah border and I don't feel like it is bad where we are looking. Everyone that we have encountered has been nothing but nice!

Thanks for your input. I've only read statewide figures which listed LDS as only 14% and no religious affiliation as 20%. I consider myself spiritual but not religious and would like to settle in a relatively tolerant area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area