Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 08:41 AM

863 posts, read 2,992,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurooster View Post
No, not a local company, but the Boise WFM will sell a greater variety of local Idaho products, and will sell a higher volume of local Idaho products, than all of the co-ops in Idaho combined.
AND put them out of business in the process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 08:48 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,897,704 times
I forgot to mention in my previous post that I moved here to Boise from a city that had a few Whole Foods and when I first visited the Boise Co-Op I was impressed and thought that the Co-op has and still has a more gourmet approach than WF.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:57 AM

Quote:
You will realize after Whole Foods opens how much the co-op has been price-gouging Boise for years, due to no real competition - just like every other city or town that has welcomed a new Whole Foods has seen.

Prices are very similar at both stores.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:10 AM

1,639 posts, read 4,706,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoso1979 View Post
AND put them out of business in the process.
Many areas that are much smaller than Boise are able to support Albertsons, Safeways, Winco, Costco, Kroger, WF, Trader Joes, Farmer's Markets, local co-ops, etc...don't worry, it'll be okay and the co-op will be around for years to come. As an earlier poster said, this really isn't that big of a deal and isn't worth getting worked up about. I'm just happy at the prospect of something moving into that empty lot.

If anything, a WF at that location will take a bite out of the business done at the Albertson's at 17th and State. Most shoppers tend to treat it as a convenience store and just buy a few items, not to mention the prices are horrendous.

Anyhow, this is all moot until there is some form of official announcement.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:30 AM

863 posts, read 2,992,399 times
Thanks and you are correct; this is not slated to happen until 2012 or later.

Old 08-06-2010, 02:13 PM

341 posts, read 1,018,718 times
Quote:
You will realize after Whole Foods opens how much the co-op has been price-gouging Boise for years, due to no real competition - just like every other city or town that has welcomed a new Whole Foods has seen.

I am unclear what is meant or implied by "phony baloney organics", but I will take this opportunity to point out that WFM is the ONLY certified organic grocery store in the country, verifying they handle organic goods according to stringent USDA guidelines. Nothing phoney baloney about it.
While WFs has excellent products, wow are they pricey ! And I've shopped at several of their stores in a couple different states and I can't really imagine WFs competing with anybody on the basis of price ? Personally I go in their stores because I like their "house" yogart, which is reasonably priced. Must be a loss-leader ?
But this whole organic foods thing has gotten downright silly. I'm reading there's still uncertanty about the nutritional benefits, but not the profit margins for sure.

Old 08-06-2010, 03:56 PM

Default Check this out---KTVB says Whole Foods will be on Front and Broadway!!!

so, the question is, what is being built at that lot at 15th and Idaho? Is Boise getting both a Whole Foods and Trader Joes, or maybe another?
Idaho Business Review » Blog Archive » Specialty grocery store planned for downtown Boise*
A new specialty grocery store, the first of its kind in the state, has selected a downtown Boise location. While a formal application hasn’t been filed yet with the city’s planning and zoning department, the property owner confirmed that a 25,000-square-foot store is planned for the area between 15th and 16th and Idaho and ...

Popular organic store will open in downtown Boise | KTVB.COM | KTVB.COM | Boise, Idaho news

from the link:
Whole Foods announced it will be setting up shop on Broadway and Front Street.

The link above states 35,000 SF

Old 08-06-2010, 04:38 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,885,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
I'm reading there's still uncertanty about the nutritional benefits, but not the profit margins for sure.
I could be wrong, but I don't think organic is supposed to have benefits. The benefit is the meat isn't raised on anti-biotics and steroids and hormones. If the animal eats that crap, then you eat the animal, you eat that crap. With produce the carrot itself isn't any healthier than a Wal-mart carrot in and of itself, but you don't have to worry about eating any pesticides, or possibly dangerous fertilizers.

I would eat organic, but am way to broke for it, so I don't stay up at night worrying about it.

I like the co-op because it fits in well in the North-End and has character, but won't shop there, because like the North End i can't afford it. I only go there when looking for new beers and they have the largest Rogue selection I've seen in Boise. But as far as food goes, I bought a sandwich there once because it was all that was around and I was hungry. But seven bucks for a sub-par chicken salad sandwich on white bread is highway robbery. Maybe the sandwich stops cancer and I just missed that on the label.

Old 08-06-2010, 04:41 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,885,667 times
Quote:
I am unclear what is meant or implied by "phony baloney organics", but I will take this opportunity to point out that WFM is the ONLY certified organic grocery store in the country, verifying they handle organic goods according to stringent USDA guidelines. Nothing phoney baloney about it.
I wonder if those guidlines are as shaky as the ones that control off shore oil drilling. Just a thought, maybe the USDA is phony-baloney.

The USDA is after all, just another bloated federal beauracracy.

Old 08-08-2010, 03:58 AM

1,956 posts, read 3,634,890 times
Those of you that are glad to see Whole Foods coming to Boise might want to check out some of these links:

Family Farm Defenders : Welcome To Whole Foods The Walmart Of Organic (http://www.familyfarmdefenders.org/index.php/LocalFoodSystems/WelcomeToWholeFoodsTheWalmartOfOrganic - broken link)

The Myth of Natural - Organic Consumers Association
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area