Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2023, 07:47 AM

3,422 posts, read 1,838,575 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x59-O---vX4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2023, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
No one can guarantee that the vet you use won’t euthanize the bird, except the vet himself.

I would think that since the bird is in your possession, they would consider it yours and would not euthanize without your ok. You can call around, describe what you have, and see what they say.

If the bird cannot fly, you cannot release it, even once it’s seemingly healthy.

Is there a reason you seem unwilling to try to find a wild bird rehabber?
What is a "wild bird rehabber"?

Old 10-04-2023, 09:11 AM

35,018 posts, read 16,978,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrioticSuperman View Post
Green Chimneys, Wildlife Rescue & Rehabilitation, in Yorktown, NY has them. You may want to call them to see if they have "brethren" in your neck of the woods.

Old 10-04-2023, 09:19 AM

6,471 posts, read 10,338,139 times
Quote:
A "rehabber" will address any injuries or ailments that the bird may have incurred and will attempt to rehabilitate it to re-introduce it back to the wild. They generally must have a specialty license issued by the state they are in. If they are unable to reintroduce it, they will attempt to adopt it out to someone who can take care of it on a more long-term basis. Kind of like a foster home.

Old 10-04-2023, 09:28 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,645,978 times
Quote:
Ooh a dove okay. Not a sparrow. I like the bird. It's not able to fly.

We live in a different world.. if I show up to a vet with a bird that MIGHT have a broken wing... what will they do? And how will they be looking at me?

And what vets (I hope AFFORDABLE... that deal with birds) are near Brick NJ?

What do these birds eat?
No hope of domestication ?
Will the vet put the bird down?
If you’re in NJ you want to begin by reading this;

https://dep.nj.gov/njfw/wildlife/fin...0rehabilitator.

Quote:
In addition, nearly all wild birds and mammals are protected under the law and may not be legally kept as pets. Only when they are found injured or with their dead mother is there reason to do something and only under these circumstances can an animal be transferred to a licensed wildlife rehabilitator.

Those who encounter such a situation should consult the List of NJ Wildlife Rehabilitators for the nearest wildlife rehabilitation center.

Old 10-04-2023, 10:51 AM

https://www.lyricbirdfood.com/birdin...ing-doves-eat/

Old 10-04-2023, 11:26 AM

5,010 posts, read 10,687,874 times
Look for a wildlife rehabilitator or a wildlife clinic in your area:

https://dep.nj.gov/njfw/wildlife/fin...oung-wildlife/
Wildlife Center Friends
https://www.avianwildlifecenter.org/
https://www.cedarrun.org/

Old 10-04-2023, 03:30 PM

7,011 posts, read 4,813,910 times
Quote:
He looks like he wants to perch. Get a stick, not too big around, and try to put him on it. When you pick him up, try to put the stick under his feet. Or just place it in his enclosure, he might climb up on it.

Old 10-04-2023, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
He looks like he wants to perch. Get a stick, not too big around, and try to put him on it. When you pick him up, try to put the stick under his feet. Or just place it in his enclosure, he might climb up on it.
He perched For about 20 minutes today of course I was right there it's not really a perch like a twig it's more like I don't know what to call it it's like an angled piece of wood that's like a plank that kind of takes up the corner in a cage he was perched on the side of that he seemed really happy and alert and wanted to engage.

The very very latest is that it looks like there's a guy in Tom's river that's going to help set his wing and rehabilitate. He's a wild bird so. Someone told me he died if I tried to keep him as a pet.

Old 10-04-2023, 04:38 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,787,820 times
Quote:
Someone told me he died if I tried to keep him as a pet.
The chance that you would be able to provide the proper nutrition and a stimulating enough captive habitat (I don't mean some conveniently sized indoor cage...I mean a large aviary space where it can exercise properly) for this dove long term is low, so chances are it wouldn't live that long in captivity.

The bird is wild...to it you are a threat. It does not want to be your newest pet. The stress of being forced to coexist with close contact with snooping humans is significant and will impact its health as well. Then there's the opposite problem. If the bird does live long enough to get acclimated to people that can doom it as well. After it gets released it may seek out humans. And that means getting exposed to more hazards including household pets.

Turn this bird over to a properly licensed wildlife rehabilitator. They'll have the best chance to get this bird back where it belongs...the wild.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds