Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2023, 12:15 AM

16 posts, read 15,497 times

Advertisements

I’m trying to rid the vermin on my property. I’ve baited outside washing machines, bathrooms, closets and have dispatched multiple rats. None have invaded my home, just my attic. I’ve seen rodents run into holes on my grounds, which makes me wonder..Is my dispatching in vain, like pi**ing into the ocean?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2023, 12:33 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Well - they do have exterminators on island

Old 07-31-2023, 01:36 AM

16 posts, read 15,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Well - they do have exterminators on island
Yes Einstein, I plan to exterminate all vermin outside my living quarters..

With that said, kindly humble yourself and sit in a VERY LOW (kiddie) CHAIR! I’m sick of people pretending to

understand local attitude and earn merits on a public forum.. Whatever , you earn 1000 points on the net and

doing zero for the Aina..

Last edited by Lemmy1; 07-31-2023 at 02:28 AM..

Old 07-31-2023, 06:02 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,573,123 times
Popcorn time!

Old 07-31-2023, 08:29 PM

4,410 posts, read 4,893,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemmy1 View Post
I’m trying to rid the vermin on my property. I’ve baited outside washing machines, bathrooms, closets and have dispatched multiple rats. None have invaded my home, just my attic. I’ve seen rodents run into holes on my grounds, which makes me wonder..Is my dispatching in vain, like pi**ing into the ocean?
We tried all the rat control techniques that didn't involve poison- snap traps, various bucket methods, cats, a zapping machine, humane traps, inhumane traps, sticky traps, dogs, air rifles, if there was a poison-free method of control, we tried it. For years. Did they kill rats? Sure. Were they still a problem? Well, one day I went to start my car and it was turning over but wouldn't fire. I opened up the hood and all the ignition wires were chewed, and there was the beginnings of a rat's nest on top of the air filter.

The gloves came off. I bought a couple of bait stations and some poison blocks and put them around the house. The rats quickly ate the poison and died. But it still wasn't 100% because not all of the rats were attracted to the bait they sold at the local feed store. After some experimentation I found that the "Just One Bite" brand rat bait knocks them out. I have four bait stations around the house, one in the garden, one by the chicken coop, one in the rabbitry... you get the idea.

This is the bait I use: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...f_=as_li_ss_tl

The bait stations: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...f_=as_li_ss_tl

It's impossible to eradicate them because the jungle keeps churning them out, but you can control their numbers around the areas you want to if you are diligent. If they are in your attic you're risking them chewing electrical wires and causing a fire. Cut away anything from the house that allows them to climb into the attic and close any holes that they are using to access it.

Old 07-31-2023, 11:08 PM

21,725 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
We tried all the rat control techniques that didn't involve poison- snap traps, various bucket methods, cats, a zapping machine, humane traps, inhumane traps, sticky traps, dogs, air rifles, if there was a poison-free method of control, we tried it. For years. Did they kill rats? Sure. Were they still a problem? Well, one day I went to start my car and it was turning over but wouldn't fire. I opened up the hood and all the ignition wires were chewed, and there was the beginnings of a rat's nest on top of the air filter.

The gloves came off. I bought a couple of bait stations and some poison blocks and put them around the house. The rats quickly ate the poison and died. But it still wasn't 100% because not all of the rats were attracted to the bait they sold at the local feed store. After some experimentation I found that the "Just One Bite" brand rat bait knocks them out. I have four bait stations around the house, one in the garden, one by the chicken coop, one in the rabbitry... you get the idea.

This is the bait I use: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...f_=as_li_ss_tl

The bait stations: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...f_=as_li_ss_tl

It's impossible to eradicate them because the jungle keeps churning them out, but you can control their numbers around the areas you want to if you are diligent. If they are in your attic you're risking them chewing electrical wires and causing a fire. Cut away anything from the house that allows them to climb into the attic and close any holes that they are using to access it.
Agree 100% with everything you said … but I’ll add that cutting anything away that allows them to climb into the attic - though a very good idea - is also wishful thinking. Rats can climb vertical, any even slightly rough or irregular surfaces, and get in virtually anyplace they want to get in short of hard, 100% sealed metal … and who could live in that anywhere, especially Hawaii? Rats can even, and will, chew literally through concrete if they want what you got. (Ok ok they won’t go through feet thick of it.) A person has to have multiple defenses at all times. Sadly including poisons inside.

Old 08-01-2023, 12:34 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,573,123 times
I’ve been back on the mainland for a few years, but I don’t remember rats being a problem in Na’alehu. Are they just a Hilo side thing?

Old 08-01-2023, 05:57 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,660,633 times
Our dog seems to do a good job chasing the rats away. She even catches one once in a while. Terracore, thanks for the ideas.

Yes, Buckeye, we have rats in the Na'alehu area (Discovery Harbour), but we certainly don't have the problem that Lemmy seems to have.

Old 08-01-2023, 06:06 PM

"Agree 100% with everything you said … but I’ll add that cutting anything away that allows them to climb into the attic - though a very good idea - is also wishful thinking."

You are right it won't stop all of them, but it does discourage them. Rats leave pheromone trails that other rats follow. You can clean surfaces like a side of a house and effectively break the cycle of rats climbing into an attic. Trees and shrubs etc, not so much, plus they are a lot easier to climb. I've seen a rat get onto a roof by running along the power line, so plugging all the holes they can get into is just as important as trying to restrict their access.

"I’ve been back on the mainland for a few years, but I don’t remember rats being a problem in Na’alehu. Are they just a Hilo side thing?"

Since rats are nocturnal most people don't notice them unless they have become a problem. I actually thought my traps etc were fairly effective until my car wouldn't start. Na’alehu is quite a bit drier than Puna, it's possible the climate supports less rats.

After we started poisoning the rats there was a population explosion of giant African snails, but only in the areas surrounding the bait stations. I don't know if there was a direct causation (the rats were killing the snails) but I have heard other people complain of the same thing. It's too wet here for the snail bait to be very effective but the snails themselves are pretty easy to control just by manually killing them in the morning while they are still out.

Old 08-01-2023, 06:21 PM

I should add that rats can fit through a hole the size of a nickel. A lot of people might not think to seal holes that small. Mice can fit through a hole smaller than a dime.

When planning bait placement, rats normally only roam 100-150 feet from their nests. Mice about 30.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island