Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2022, 05:31 PM

90 posts, read 104,779 times

Advertisements

I have an off-grid house, 6 batteries of 1350 Amp hours total feeding and inverter and then a grounded electrical box that supplies a conventionally wired house. Everything works fine… until a big rain comes. When rain hits, battery charge goes down from 80% to 0% in about 15 minutes. I see no arcing anywhere, no bursts of noise (though I don't visit the attic much) but the water is clearly causing some sort of slow discharge somewhere. Is there a way to track the issue down without spending half a grand?

During the recent big rain, I experimented by turning all the circuit breakers off, energizing lines one by one with no appliance running and watching the battery charge percentage change. Some lines lost 0% of charge. The longest line feeding my cable modem’s wall plug in the farthest corner lost 13% battery charge in 5 minutes. Cowabunga! But next day a 0% line also drained the battery. WTH, the short circuit moves around? Do circuit breakers / electric boxes go bad after several decades? I could really use some advice. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2022, 05:33 PM

640 posts, read 449,230 times
How about asking an electrician?

Old 01-01-2022, 05:50 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,825,814 times
Electrical and plumbing are the two areas where a homeowner/builder are required to use licensed contractors. If you just needed to change a light switch or a receptacle, I would encourage you to do it yourself.

A phantom electrical discharge is difficult to diagnose and potentially dangerous if you don't have the right skill set. Do yourself a favor and call an electrician. Preferably after checking around for one who has this specific knowledge.

Old 01-01-2022, 07:41 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,897,043 times
I'm not an electrician, but based on your description and my dangerously low lack of knowledge, it sounds like it's a DC problem (before the inverter).

Your post didn't talk about the solar panels or wiring. Are any of the wires in the gutters?

Old 01-01-2022, 08:25 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,020,110 times
Well, it sounds like some sort of something is grounding somewhere, but since it's going through 1,350 amp hours and nothing is welded to anything else it sounds like the safety systems somewhere may be working. BUT! This is something that could kill you, if you don't know enough that you're asking an online forum, I doubt we would have enough of an answer that you'd want to bet your life on it. Literally, I might add.

When I lived on my boat, there was another boat out in the harbor that ran a big generator for power. He was looking for a short in the generator while standing in bilge water and using a metal screwdriver to poke at it. Needless to say, he found the short. Why his wife didn't shut off the generator before rowing to shore to find help I don't know, but the end result wasn't good. His widow sold the boat soon after and the new owners took out the generator. Not the fix he was looking for and one you shouldn't copy!

Old 01-02-2022, 11:15 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,899,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hapci534 View Post
Is there a way to track the issue down without spending half a grand?
It would be a "half a grand" well spent if that is all it took to fix the issue.

Old 01-03-2022, 12:57 PM

30 posts, read 55,274 times
yes there is. You need a multimeter to diagnose which battery is bad. You will need to unhook all the battery leads to tell which one is bad. How many volts is your system?

Old 01-04-2022, 01:27 AM

90 posts, read 104,779 times
My system is 12V., Hawaii_Bound.

Old 01-04-2022, 08:56 AM

30 posts, read 55,274 times
Ok I would take your battery bank apart and measure the voltage of each battery. They should be sitting at like 13 volts fully charged. Sounds like you have some bad cells in at least one battery.

Old 01-04-2022, 09:17 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,825,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii_Bound View Post
Ok I would take your battery bank apart and measure the voltage of each battery. They should be sitting at like 13 volts fully charged. Sounds like you have some bad cells in at least one battery.
Bad cells would be triggered to discharge only after a heavy rain?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island