Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Good idea?
YES, I want one. 4 25.00%
Maybe, with some alterations. 3 18.75%
Never in a million years. 9 56.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2020, 08:08 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,573,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post

For a wind proof roof, pour it in concrete? And set the rebar for the posts down into the ground. We had a laundry line where the end posts were set about two feet into the ground and they'd driven four feet of rebar down at a forty five degree angle in four different directions. These all met at the end of the metal 3" pipe that was being used as the laundry line post. Concrete was poured around the ends of the rebar and the post and taking that post out bent the pipe before it budged the footing. Even using the lever of a 7' post sticking out of the concrete, it still didn't budge.
I'm hoping the house was single wall. Kind of completes a Bigger Island scenario.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2020, 01:42 PM

959 posts, read 1,215,865 times
The bad news is I'm going to fall into the "Never in a Million Years" category. The good news is I'm not planning to buy or move to the Big Island. So you've not lost a potential customer.

For me the lack of windows and the shape/size are completely unappealing. Perhaps the "half donut" shape would look more interesting to me .. particularly if the walls facing the donut "hole" were filled with window and a round patio filled the hole itself. But this is now just my imagination.

Have you tested the walls to see how resistant they are to humans breaking through to steal property ? That could be an advantage over a Yurt. If the doors could be made of steel, and the cement impenetrable, then perhaps it would hold some appeal as a "lock & go" fortress capable of protecting your stuff while away.

I see a possible market for the product but I think it may be a very small and limited market.

Old 01-14-2020, 02:01 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiBoy View Post
Have you tested the walls to see how resistant they are to humans breaking through to steal property ? That could be an advantage over a Yurt. If the doors could be made of steel, and the cement impenetrable, then perhaps it would hold some appeal as a "lock & go" fortress capable of protecting your stuff while away.
While I find that a sad state of affairs that one needs a "fortress" with impenetrable cement and steel doors to live on the Big Island, in my opinion - a super fortress becomes even more of a target because of the allure of, what is in the fortress occurs.

Old 01-14-2020, 03:16 PM

4,336 posts, read 1,555,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
While I find that a sad state of affairs that one needs a "fortress" with impenetrable cement and steel doors to live on the Big Island, in my opinion - a super fortress becomes even more of a target because of the allure of, what is in the fortress occurs.
Yes, the slippery slope has indeed gotten slipperier and slop-ier over the decades.

Old 01-14-2020, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
That might be true about making it a bigger target. I didn't think about that. But I have read over the years a lot of post from people thinking they'd like a piece of property on the big island with inexpensive living arrangements and ability to lock up their property while they are off island. So if these cement domes are competing with Yurts for low cost living, then security might be a potential advantage over a yurt that could help sell them.

There are some beautiful area's on the Big Island where obviously security is not as much of an issue or owners are full time residents. But for those looking for cheap land with cheap living structures, they often buy into more sketchy area's where security might tilt the buying decision in the direction of the cement dome vs some cheap alternatives. Just a thought that could make these structures more appealing.

Old 01-16-2020, 02:54 PM

65 posts, read 69,219 times
Good point WaikikiBoy. One of the target markets for these would be "accessory structures." You can't build a residence without a certain number of windows, that's in the code. But a accessory structure does not require it. I could build it with a single door opening, and install a steel security door. It'd be pretty damned tough to break into that. The rebar is placed on 12" spacing, so even if someone decides to open the wall with a jackhammer, you still wouldn't be able to get through the hole until you also cut the rebars with a torch.

In fact, my proof of concept dome that already exists on the island was built as just that. It's going to have a single steel door in front, and a double steel door out back. The plan was to crash there when I was on island, and lock it up when I'm not. I started with essentially thinking, build something that can't burn, get eaten by termites, blown down by any storm, and is 99% secure (nothing is indestructible).

BTW, you totally can add windows! I mentioned that last attachment was just the airform shape. You add plywood formwork to the outside of the shape before the rebar and concrete goes on. As many doors and windows as you like.

Again, reference the attached image.
Attached Thumbnails
Gauging interest in thin shell concrete domes on BI-external-augments.jpg  

Old 01-16-2020, 09:40 PM

This newest thumbnail pic certainly makes the structure look far more appealing than the last one !

Old 01-16-2020, 11:30 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
The light and ventilation requirements for a dwelling are based on a percentage of square feet of the floor size. It's not terribly onerous, any structure that's nice to live in (at least as far as light and ventilation go) usually has enough windows. Sleeping area windows have some more requirements to allow egress during fires.

Old 01-17-2020, 09:33 AM

65 posts, read 69,219 times
Well aware of ventilation, fenestration, and egress requirement for windows. I have been reading building code and energy standards for weeks. All part of the plan.

I think I have been doing a poor job of describing just what these are gonna be like. I'll try and have a complete 3D rendering of my proposed simple 30' dome concept on here within a few days.

Old 01-17-2020, 05:10 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
Reading the building code is just so engrossing, don't you think? Sparkling plot lines and interesting characters? Bwahahaha! (insert evil chortle here)

It's actually improved, though, the new IRC is a lot more straightforward than the UBC was. The UBC spent a lot of time referring to some other part of the code that then referred to somewhere else. It could take four or five bookmarks to find out what they were referring to and by that time you'd have forgotten what you were looking up.

What program are you using to draw?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island