Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2020, 03:35 PM

3,560 posts, read 1,655,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
A lot of off-griders don't have conventional refrigerators but instead invest in a $30 gizmo that converts a chest freezer into a refrigerator. They use about 10% of the power of a conventional upright frostless refrigerator.

You can get 12V SunDanzer refrigerator or freezer, but they aint cheap. My ancient Frigidaire (from when it was a division of RCA) went to appliance heaven after long run. I couldnt find a simple manual defrost refrigerator to save me, well except the tiny dorm refrigerators. I bought a 10cf GE chest freezer (special order they didnt stock them) and not knowing any better spent maybe $15 on generic refrigerator analog thermostat conversion kit. Works fine. Found out I could bought same same thermostat for $5 minus the few little extra bits that supposedly made it a "kit". Live and learn. Extra $10 not something to worry lot over. Oh you can buy an electronic wonder you put on wall, just plug your freezer into it and set existing freezer thermostat to maximum. The electronic wonder takes over thermostat duties to keep your freezer at refrigerator temperatures. However beware if electric goes off some of the electronic ones need to be reset. So if you somehow forget to reset it... Or so I have heard, no personal experience with one. Now the plus side to the electronic wonder is that no changes to freezer itself will have been made so doesnt void warranty. If you are worried about warranties. I wasnt and less electronics involved in kitchen appliances the better. The analog thermostat I used replaces the analog freezer thermostat.

My electric bill with the old Frigidaire had crept up to $50 a month. After going to the converted GE freezer my bill back down around $30 to $35. It really is very efficient. IF I use zero electric my bill is still $25 a month just to be connected to the grid. I must be old, can still vaguely remember electric bills less than $20 a month.

Oh one warning on a chest refrigerator. If you live where there is high humidity, water will collect in bottom of freezer, condenses out of room air. You need to wipe it out with towel once a week or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2021, 03:46 PM

90 posts, read 104,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hapci534 View Post
The used 20 year old panels were $1000 total. (They work OK.)
Feedback, 3 years later: the panels are still working like a charm. By now I made their cost back on power bill savings, and I'm getting free electricity. The only hitch is, I can't get a hold of Keith and Matt, the two electricians who installed this well-working 2400W system to add another 3000W to it. Looks like both have new phone numbers.

The main thing I had to do to make the rig reliable is to dump the Schumacher charger for an Iota DLS-55/IQ4 combo. The Iota cost 3 times the price of the Schumacher but it just works. Though soldering a custom hook-up cable that wasn't included with it from a cannibalized jump-start cable was 7 days of instense suck. (I'm not good at soldering. Not many people are.)

I still come up against the terminal corrosion issue every 6 months, even though I applied Radio Shack Contact Cleaner / Lubricant to the terminals. It helps to an extent but it didsn't totally eliminate the problem. Ah well, sandpaper is not too expensive.

Old 10-16-2021, 10:27 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,165,076 times
[quote=hapci534;62122784]I still come up against the terminal corrosion issue every 6 months, even though I applied Radio Shack Contact Cleaner / Lubricant to the terminals. It helps to an extent but it didsn't totally eliminate the problem. Ah well, sandpaper is not too expensive.[/QUOTE]

Couldn't you clean the wire and then coat it with either plastidip or liquid wire coating? I've used it in the past for similar scenarios.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island