Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2024, 07:02 AM

3,937 posts, read 2,338,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Lagos View Post
The WNBA would have to find a way to bring in a large female fan base to become profitable. Don't see that happening. Look at all of the media attention and hoopla with the Women's National USA Soccer team and nobody even knows that there is a Women's MLS soccer league.
This has been debated on another thread before. You need attractive players wearing sports bras as uniforms to attract the "male" fanbase. The female fanbase doesn't watch or go to games as much as the males. Oklazona Bound mentioned that forcing black lesbians on the buying public is a non-starter. Many of the stars in the WNBA are lesbian and white. Sue Bird, Diana Taurasi, Elena Delle Donne, etc. I have to agree with him although excuse me, OB, if I am misrepresenting your sentiment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2024, 07:42 AM

32,084 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
This has been debated on another thread before. You need attractive players wearing sports bras as uniforms to attract the "male" fanbase. The female fanbase doesn't watch or go to games as much as the males. Oklazona Bound mentioned that forcing black lesbians on the buying public is a non-starter. Many of the stars in the WNBA are lesbian and white. Sue Bird, Diana Taurasi, Elena Delle Donne, etc. I have to agree with him although excuse me, OB, if I am misrepresenting your sentiment.
The WNBA needs more talent. And more flashy talent at that. Period.

People are forgetting that there was a time when CBS didn't even broadcast the trophy presentation for the NBA FINALS because they believed a random golf tournament would pull more viewership. It took Bird and Magic to change that along with a more forward-thinking commissioner. If the WNBA is to thrive in the future, it needs more stars, the quality of the average player needs to be raised, and a commissioner needs to figure out how to better market it.

Old 04-03-2024, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
The WNBA needs more talent. And more flashy talent at that. Period.

People are forgetting that there was a time when CBS didn't even broadcast the trophy presentation for the NBA FINALS because they believed a random golf tournament would pull more viewership. It took Bird and Magic to change that along with a more forward-thinking commissioner. If the WNBA is to thrive in the future, it needs more stars, the quality of the average player needs to be raised, and a commissioner needs to figure out how to better market it.
Lol! I am old enough to remember that dark time for the NBA. I have to co-sign your sentiment. Talent has to get better but males are visual so we need some cheesecake. Plus the drama of Caitlyn vs. Angel and you have a marketers wet dream. That Iowa vs. LSU game pulled in over 12 million viewers. The WNBA has to push the envelope to get to those type of numbers consistently.

Old 04-03-2024, 08:09 AM

Ok, for example. No sports bras but these players are ballin' Check out the comments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76SKk_WsBNk

Old 04-03-2024, 08:37 AM

32,084 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Lol! I am old enough to remember that dark time for the NBA. I have to co-sign your sentiment. Talent has to get better but males are visual so we need some cheesecake. Plus the drama of Caitlyn vs. Angel and you have a marketers wet dream. That Iowa vs. LSU game pulled in over 12 million viewers. The WNBA has to push the envelope to get to those type of numbers consistently.
I think the 3-point shot could help the WNBA gain *some* semblance of parity with the NBA.

The women's game will never have the above-the-rim, earth shattering excitement of the men's game but if it can produce more of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_cAFeuQqkc

It will be in a good place. The problem with women's basketball for a long time has been the dominance of 6'7 "bigs" and a greater emphasis on post play and rebounding. Much respect to the ladies of South Carolina, but their style of play is not entertaining since most people do not want to see a clogged lane with high-low center/power forward actions with most shots coming within 10 feet of the basket. As more Caitlin Clarks and Juju Watkins emerge, and the game becomes more perimeter-oriented, viewership will probably go up.

Old 04-03-2024, 09:22 AM

1,847 posts, read 867,463 times
Quote:
You need attractive players wearing sports bras as uniforms to attract the "male" fanbase.

My husband is the reason I even heard about Caitlin. He's a college football fan, specifically SEC, but heard about her on Sports Center and now he never misses a game. He hollers every time she hits a half-court throw (if that's the right verbiage). He calls her the female Steph Curry. I normally couldn't care less about basketball, but I definitely enjoy watching her play.

Old 04-03-2024, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl67 View Post
My husband is the reason I even heard about Caitlin. He's a college football fan, specifically SEC, but heard about her on Sports Center and now he never misses a game. He hollers every time she hits a half-court throw (if that's the right verbiage). He calls her the female Steph Curry. I normally couldn't care less about basketball, but I definitely enjoy watching her play.
Half court shot but close enough. A throw works. Seriously, back in the early days of the WNBA, my wife (at the time my girlfriend) used to follow the NY Liberty. She had a Rebecca Lobo jersey, etc. That faded over the years and she only knows about Caitlyn and Angel from me. She actually only watched part of that Iowa vs. LSU then walked away. (I quote Mrs. QL, "Whateva") Anyway, you are going to get a few female fans but what's going to push the needle is the male fans. Rabid male fans that marketers love that will push their daughters to play. Speaking of that, I have a daughter that played in HS but she gravitated towards softball and volleyball. She gave up basketball because, this is her words, "the coach likes lesbians." So, she concentrated on volleyball on the Division II level in college.

Old 04-03-2024, 10:47 AM

30,141 posts, read 11,765,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
I literally quoted you.
Ok. Last time since you don't get it.

Your problem is reading comprehension. And the fact you did not read the previous posts I was commenting on. I want to see the best women's college hoops player thrive in the WNBA. It does not matter what skin color she is. But we will see if the WNBA and its players let that happen. There is a lot of sentiment both on here and elsewhere online that she won't be welcome with open arms into the WNBA.

Old 04-03-2024, 11:01 AM

1,847 posts, read 867,463 times
Quote:
I have a daughter that played in HS but she gravitated towards softball and volleyball. She gave up basketball because, this is her words, "the coach likes lesbians."

My friend's daughter plays in HS and is pretty good. She's also a very active barrel racer, in fact her HS just instituted the first 4H Horse Team, so I doubt she sticks with basketball for long LOL

Old 04-03-2024, 11:13 AM

1,212 posts, read 501,942 times
Quote:
Even if the players are hotties men are not going to watch WNBA games. Now for an "event" like this Clark vs. Reese game or the Women's World Cup you will get some men and women to watch it. But not dozens of WNBA games. Women are into Celebrity gossip, reality TV shows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball