Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2024, 03:04 PM

1,852 posts, read 867,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
You don't watch WNBA games because most of the players are black? WOW!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound
the league was made up 100% of black lesbians

Not only black, but also lesbians. They made my Ignore List long ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2024, 03:17 PM

14,669 posts, read 14,631,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl67 View Post
Not only black, but also lesbians. They made my Ignore List long ago.
That’s what happens when you spend to much time on the Politics forum of this website. It’s an alternate reality.

Someone commented earlier on Clark’s ability to earn in the WBNA….she’ll do just fine with all the endorsement deals she’ll be getting. May even bring a lot of new fans to the league, increasing its profitability overall.

Old 04-02-2024, 03:25 PM

3,505 posts, read 761,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
May even bring a lot of new fans to the league, increasing its profitability overall.
hard to do when 95 % of the fans are already white .

Old 04-02-2024, 06:11 PM

14,669 posts, read 14,631,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1973PINTO View Post
hard to do when 95 % of the fans are already white .
That comment makes no damn sense. All the white people in this country watch WNBA already?

Old 04-02-2024, 07:30 PM

3,728 posts, read 2,551,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
That’s what happens when you spend to much time on the Politics forum of this website. It’s an alternate reality.

Someone commented earlier on Clark’s ability to earn in the WBNA….she’ll do just fine with all the endorsement deals she’ll be getting. May even bring a lot of new fans to the league, increasing its profitability overall.
I get your point.. and concur that Clark will (personally) profit from future endorsement deals. But the WNBA does not profit. It's subsidized every season by the NBA. It's never been profitable.. and I doubt a single player can fix that yet.. but who knows.

Old 04-02-2024, 09:38 PM

3,834 posts, read 4,437,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
I get your point.. and concur that Clark will (personally) profit from future endorsement deals. But the WNBA does not profit. It's subsidized every season by the NBA. It's never been profitable.. and I doubt a single player can fix that yet.. but who knows.
There is a way for the WNBA to profit, but it would involve several events happening some of which are not in their control.
It requires at least two girls who appeal to the broad public; ideally white, good looking AND extremely talented, and by talented, I mean they play in a visually pleasing style that appeals to casual fans. So a big plodding center/power forward wont cut it. (That eliminates Reese).

We have two girls who fit that category: Clarke and Paige Bueckers of UConn. They meet in the Final Four game. If that game is great for both girls (doesnt matter who wins) then that starts the public interest in the "rivalry", just like Bird and Magic had their college showdown. It wont be enough for just one girl (Clark), you have to have two, a good girl and a villain (depending on which team you support).

Then both girls go to the WNBA, and the draft is rigged so that each girl is drafted by the NY and LA franchises. Put them both in big city markets, and they proceed to shine and dominate while meeting several times in the Finals over the next decade. That will help the league generate the interest and eventually the tv deals that will increase the salaries of everyone. People like to say that MJ was the one who got the NBA to its current position, but they are wrong. Bird and Magic did that, MJ simply continued the process.

That's how you get the WNBA to profitability. Highly unlikely due to so many steps required, but it can be done.

Old 04-03-2024, 04:30 AM

30,140 posts, read 11,765,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
You don't watch WNBA games because most of the players are black? WOW!
You are making a comment like that in a basketball forum where I actively post about the NBA which I am a fan of for 50 years and which is also mostly black. . With all due respect how about thinking before you open your mouth?

My point was the exact opposite. I want to be a fan but the WNBA and they should not try to keep one player from being the face or star of the league because they are not black and lesbian. If Clark was a black lesbian and the best player to probably ever come along I would support her too.

Old 04-03-2024, 04:37 AM

1,212 posts, read 501,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
The WNBA would have to find a way to bring in a large female fan base to become profitable. Don't see that happening. Look at all of the media attention and hoopla with the Women's National USA Soccer team and nobody even knows that there is a Women's MLS soccer league.

Old 04-03-2024, 06:54 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,277,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
You are making a comment like that in a basketball forum where I actively post about the NBA which I am a fan of for 50 years and which is also mostly black. . With all due respect how about thinking before you open your mouth?
I literally quoted you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
All of this really turns me off to being a WNBA fan. Finally there is a player that might make it interesting but with a league and players that seem fine with her never being a big star and probably fine with me not being fan because I am a man and white. They talk diversity but are fine if the league was made up 100% of black lesbians.

Old 04-03-2024, 06:56 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,277,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
Then both girls go to the WNBA, and the draft is rigged so that each girl is drafted by the NY and LA franchises. Put them both in big city markets, and they proceed to shine and dominate while meeting several times in the Finals over the next decade. That will help the league generate the interest and eventually the tv deals that will increase the salaries of everyone. People like to say that MJ was the one who got the NBA to its current position, but they are wrong. Bird and Magic did that, MJ simply continued the process.

That's how you get the WNBA to profitability. Highly unlikely due to so many steps required, but it can be done.
Caitlin is coming to Indy to team up with Aliyah Boston. Its the start of a dynasty. We already have a mural, so no takebacks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball