Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2024, 10:51 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,573,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Sounds like you spend too much time on Truth Social.

The reality is that every great up and coming talent will be "hated." Oscar was hating on Steph only a few years ago. And Lebron got lots of hate as a rookie. The fact is that seasoned vets always dislike younger players getting shine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKz-I-v9u2Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FtlGivdPrM
Try again, sweetie. Never been on Truth social, and there is nobody hating on Angel Reese.

Also, not sure why you feel the need to make a personal attack here in the sports section...

PS - The Big O was a great player back in the day, but he's been irrelevant since the 1970s....

Last edited by Buckeye77; 03-27-2024 at 11:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2024, 01:24 PM

6,999 posts, read 11,293,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Sounds like you spend too much time on Truth Social.

The reality is that every great up and coming talent will be "hated." Oscar was hating on Steph only a few years ago. And Lebron got lots of hate as a rookie. The fact is that seasoned vets always dislike younger players getting shine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKz-I-v9u2Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FtlGivdPrM
OMG, Boozer saying the 22-60 Cavs already have better wings than James, or Darius Miles saying no HS to Pro player can make an impact (projecting a bit, Darius?) but you know, he's free to jump on the Miles bandwagon. You can't make that stuff up.

Old 03-28-2024, 06:15 AM

3,942 posts, read 2,338,527 times
Caitlyn vs. Angel. This has to be the rematch. Go Hawkeyes! Geaux Tigers!

Old 03-29-2024, 02:24 PM

3,834 posts, read 4,437,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
Caitlyn vs. Angel. This has to be the rematch. Go Hawkeyes! Geaux Tigers!
That would be a great matchup. That being said, I think South Carolina is still the best of the lot. They just don't have that one standout superstar, just all round great at every position.

The other thing: I remember 2 years ago this was Paige Buecker's world and no one cared about Clark and Reese. Injuries have made her basically irrelevant today even though UConn is still going to be a problem in the tournament and she actually had a good, injury free season this year.

Old 03-30-2024, 10:01 AM

4,860 posts, read 6,918,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
That would be a great matchup. That being said, I think South Carolina is still the best of the lot. They just don't have that one standout superstar, just all round great at every position.

The other thing: I remember 2 years ago this was Paige Buecker's world and no one cared about Clark and Reese. Injuries have made her basically irrelevant today even though UConn is still going to be a problem in the tournament and she actually had a good, injury free season this year.
They're still the team to beat. In my opinion they had a better team last year. However, they ran into a team that played a style they weren't accustomed to and were upset. In a matchup with Iowa last year over a 10 game span, South Carolina would have probably won 8.

I think it's going to take a Hurculean effort to knock them off this year as well. I actually think Iowa has the best chance provided they can get past the buzz saw waiting for them in Colorado and LSU. They don't try to beat South Carolina at their own game like LSU tries to.

Old 03-30-2024, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
They're still the team to beat. In my opinion they had a better team last year. However, they ran into a team that played a style they weren't accustomed to and were upset. In a matchup with Iowa last year over a 10 game span, South Carolina would have probably won 8.

I think it's going to take a Hurculean effort to knock them off this year as well. I actually think Iowa has the best chance provided they can get past the buzz saw waiting for them in Colorado and LSU. They don't try to beat South Carolina at their own game like LSU tries to.
Well Iowa took care of Colorado pretty easily. Next up: LSU.
The spotlight will predictably be on Reese vs Clark after all the antics in last years game. And it’s about time for Reese to step up with a monster game that she really hasn’t had so far. I think it’s safe to say she took a step back this season, with missing games early. LSU hasn’t been impacted much thanks to the growth of Flaujae. But Reese needs to do less TikToks and deliver on the court because you know Clark and Iowa will be ready and hungry after losing last year.

Van Lith better hope LSU wins the chip because otherwise this might be the most disastrous gamble I’ve seen in a while. She looked terrible in the Colorado game and honestly should be a bench player at this point. She just looks slow and small plus if her jumper isn’t falling then she really brings nothing else to the game. Louisville covered up her flaws and made her look better than she is. Or maybe the SEC competition will is tougher. I honestly don’t see her making it to the WNBA.

What do y’all think about the Big 3 offer to Clark?
I don’t think she takes it. She will get destroyed going against even retired NBA guys. What I don’t understand is why she doesn’t take her 5th year of college eligibility and make another 2-3 million dollars. Beats the $75K rookie contract she can look forward to in the WNBA. I know the league isn’t profitable so the contracts will suck. I just feel bad for her. I hope the next tv deal which is coming up next year is better, but I’m not holding my breath.

Old 03-31-2024, 09:49 AM

4,860 posts, read 6,918,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
Well Iowa took care of Colorado pretty easily. Next up: LSU.
The spotlight will predictably be on Reese vs Clark after all the antics in last years game. And it’s about time for Reese to step up with a monster game that she really hasn’t had so far. I think it’s safe to say she took a step back this season, with missing games early. LSU hasn’t been impacted much thanks to the growth of Flaujae. But Reese needs to do less TikToks and deliver on the court because you know Clark and Iowa will be ready and hungry after losing last year.

Van Lith better hope LSU wins the chip because otherwise this might be the most disastrous gamble I’ve seen in a while. She looked terrible in the Colorado game and honestly should be a bench player at this point. She just looks slow and small plus if her jumper isn’t falling then she really brings nothing else to the game. Louisville covered up her flaws and made her look better than she is. Or maybe the SEC competition will is tougher. I honestly don’t see her making it to the WNBA.

What do y’all think about the Big 3 offer to Clark?

I don’t think she takes it. She will get destroyed going against even retired NBA guys. What I don’t understand is why she doesn’t take her 5th year of college eligibility and make another 2-3 million dollars. Beats the $75K rookie contract she can look forward to in the WNBA. I know the league isn’t profitable so the contracts will suck. I just feel bad for her. I hope the next tv deal which is coming up next year is better, but I’m not holding my breath.
She won't take it. Doing so would be against what she tries to stand for. It simply is selling out and cheapening women's basketball. It's a bad form of reality TV that would hurt her marketability off the court.

The rookie contract is pocket change at this point. Her image is going to be all over your TV set even more than now. ESPECIALLY, if she pulls off winning the national championship. It'll be almost like Michael Jordon for at least a couple of years.

I'm worried for her too. As a white, straight, Catholic girl she's going to be a target for abuse by others in the league no matter where she's playing. Cheap shots will abound with in your face attitudes at every turn. She's very aware of this. This is why she's leaving now to at least have some control by going to the team she wants to play for, in the same town where her boyfriend works.

Old 03-31-2024, 04:51 PM

6,999 posts, read 11,293,992 times
I don't know what the BIG3 has in mind, but if they are willing to pay that much money for female players, they should attract interest. You could have a mixed gender 3 person team. We've all played in those pick-up games, and they were always just as entertaining to play and watch, IMO.

But, yes, I think WNBA first to have establish a brand and because there will be endorsement money and the chance to be a basketball star in a basketball state. No offense to Haliburton, but Clark will be the face of Pro-Ball in Indiana from day one, or at least the most recognizable name.

I watched her assist highlight reel from the CO game, and it was impressive. She seems able to be able to accept the double, and still find the angle to pass out for wide-open looks. A few of those wrap around passes to cutters were dare I say, Jokic like. Same with when they trapped her out high, and she sucked the defender all the way to her before hitting the other guard on the button to step into wide open 3s.

Last edited by westsideboy; 03-31-2024 at 05:12 PM..

Old 03-31-2024, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
I don't know what the BIG3 has in mind, but if they are willing to pay that much money for female players, they should attract interest. You could have a mixed gender 3 person team. We've all played in those pick-up games, and they were always just as entertaining to play and watch, IMO.

But, yes, I think WNBA first to have establish a brand and because there will be endorsement money and the chance to be a basketball star in a basketball state. No offense to Haliburton, but Clark will be the face of Pro-Ball in Indiana from day one, or at least the most recognizable name.

I watched her assist highlight reel from the CO game, and it was impressive. She seems able to be able to accept the double, and still find the angle to pass out for wide-open looks. A few of those wrap around passes to cutters were dare I say, Jokic like. Same with when they trapped her out high, and she sucked the defender all the way to her before hitting the other guard on the button to step into wide open 3s.
In theory, yes, Clark should be instant brand recognition in the WNBA given all her accomplishments at the college level. But that’s where the WNBA has consistently failed to capitalize on women’s college basketball since really the beginning of time.

Breanna Stewart is a name that most casual sports fans wouldn’t recognize today even though she’s been in the WNBA for several years now. She was more dominant than Clark in the college game. 4 straight national championships, 4 time most outstanding player in the Final Four, 3 time national player of the year. Yet after 7 years playing professionally, 95% of people probably couldn’t name the team she plays for. Ditto for Sabrina Ionescu, Diana Taurasi, Kelsey Plum and so many others. By the way, notice all the girls I just mentioned are white as well, so even accounting for race doesn’t improve things. Neither here nor there.

I really don’t know what the marketing strategy has been in the WNBA, but it’s been a fact that girls basically disappear once they leave college, and that includes players who were greater than Clark. It’s a real head scratcher to me as you would think partnering with the NBA who might be the best marketers of all the pro leagues would make this easy, but it just hasn’t been. I hope things are better for Clark and she doesn’t end up in the black hole of irrelevancy that seems to swallow up every other female basketball player.

Old 03-31-2024, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
She won't take it. Doing so would be against what she tries to stand for. It simply is selling out and cheapening women's basketball. It's a bad form of reality TV that would hurt her marketability off the court.

The rookie contract is pocket change at this point. Her image is going to be all over your TV set even more than now. ESPECIALLY, if she pulls off winning the national championship. It'll be almost like Michael Jordon for at least a couple of years.

I'm worried for her too. As a white, straight, Catholic girl she's going to be a target for abuse by others in the league no matter where she's playing. Cheap shots will abound with in your face attitudes at every turn. She's very aware of this. This is why she's leaving now to at least have some control by going to the team she wants to play for, in the same town where her boyfriend works.
I think the abuse angle is overblown. Yes she will get negative attention, but that’s because she’s the best college player and number one pick. Everyone is coming for whoever holds that title regardless of race and religion. She’s been taking abuse her entire career from opposing players and fans. And one thing that gets swept under the rug when it comes to Clark is that she dishes it out too. She ain’t the baby faced angel who can do no wrong that people seem to paint her as. Long story short. She’ll be fine.

I still think she’s making a mistake coming out now. Let’s say she comes back, we already know Reese is returning, so is Bueckers up at UConn, Juju Watkins is going to be there at USC. I don’t think South Carolina loses any key starters (not sure). In other words, we can run all this back again next year. You don’t think viewership will be sky high? And that means even more NIL money for everyone. If she wins the ring this year and next year, great. But she will still cash in if she doesn’t win either year. The WNBA isn’t going anywhere. And with the millions she makes I’m sure boyfriend will be happy wherever she ends up. She would be able to purchase her offseason home wherever he is if need be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball