Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2023, 11:02 PM

1,131 posts, read 470,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
100% no Summer League. In fact, don't be surprised if Wemba comes out of the gate with strict minute and GP limitations in his first season. There is zero reason to rush him to do anything right now. His first few years in the league should be about staying healthy, getting stronger, learning to play at that speed and against the world's best athletes.

Follow the Embiid plan, more or less.......it worked.
His big weakness is his frame. Should really hit the weights this summer. Depends on who lands him, but he could turn a 8th seeded team to a 3rd seeded team in his rookie year. He might play big minutes if he is in that situation, but seeing who are the bottom teams with highest chance of the first pick, its very unlikely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2023, 06:35 AM

4,063 posts, read 2,407,541 times
Summer league is a money maker for the league since the season is over. The team that has Wemba may be "encouraged" to play him at least once during the summer league. Chet didn't get hurt during summer league. As mentioned, he got hurt during some exhibition with Lebron, etc. after the summer league games were played. Again, injuries can happen anytime. During camp, walking out his house, etc. You can't baby the kid. It just happen to work out with Embiid but how much losing did the Sixers have to endure before Embiid finally was able to play? I'll admit. I am selfish so get Wemba's carcass on the court.

Old 05-05-2023, 06:36 AM

7,481 posts, read 4,732,840 times
Injuries can happen anytime - could be on Summer League, Preseason, or Opening Night of Season game. No one can predict it. I think on Chet and Cade, their respective teams decided to bench them entire season seeing it benefits players' conditioning and tanking of respective teams.

I think likely he would play about 3 games in Summer League. It's not about having to prove himself, I mean he is going to be top draft pick. Summer League games for Wemba is more about giving fans something to watch and at same time creating chemistry with his peers in the team early.

Old 05-05-2023, 06:47 AM

It's not like Wemba ain't gonna get inured in his games in France currently. And yes, 5'11 Bryce Jones made 7'4 cry.

Boulogne v Limoges (Apr 15)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oD7vrVf_hrA

Old 05-05-2023, 07:01 AM

Also don't forget on my 2nd post -- between Summer League and Preseason is the 2023 World Cup.

I'm pretty sure as early as now Canada's big trio of Tristan Thompson, Kelly Olynyk and Kalif Young are planting seeds of destruction on their French counterparts. And don't forget, Kristaps Porzingis will show his pride when he plays for his Latvian country and get matched up with the young Wemba. Also, for Porzinglla, this is a personal battle as well to show the world which Big Man owns Europe. Both are still young but all this talk of Wemba I'm sure is extra motivation for Porzinglla to settle once and for all who is better. Laslty, Asia Pacific's MVP Wael Arakji will do his best to run circles around the top draft pick and pester him when he has the ball.

Last edited by Yippeekayay; 05-05-2023 at 07:11 AM..

Old 05-05-2023, 07:48 AM

3,861 posts, read 4,466,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yippeekayay View Post
Also don't forget on my 2nd post -- between Summer League and Preseason is the 2023 World Cup.

I'm pretty sure as early as now Canada's big trio of Tristan Thompson, Kelly Olynyk and Kalif Young are planting seeds of destruction on their French counterparts. And don't forget, Kristaps Porzingis will show his pride when he plays for his Latvian country and get matched up with the young Wemba. Also, for Porzinglla, this is a personal battle as well to show the world which Big Man owns Europe. Both are still young but all this talk of Wemba I'm sure is extra motivation for Porzinglla to settle once and for all who is better. Laslty, Asia Pacific's MVP Wael Arakji will do his best to run circles around the top draft pick and pester him when he has the ball.
There's only one big man who owns Europe and he resides in Greece.

Old 05-05-2023, 03:37 PM

1,131 posts, read 470,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yippeekayay View Post
Injuries can happen anytime - could be on Summer League, Preseason, or Opening Night of Season game. No one can predict it. I think on Chet and Cade, their respective teams decided to bench them entire season seeing it benefits players' conditioning and tanking of respective teams.

I think likely he would play about 3 games in Summer League. It's not about having to prove himself, I mean he is going to be top draft pick. Summer League games for Wemba is more about giving fans something to watch and at same time creating chemistry with his peers in the team early.
Injuries happen, but its not worth it if its a meaningless game. Whoever gets victor can trade him for 10 future firsts plus a couple of starters. They will lose if he gets hurt.

And the other guys in his team will most likely not make it to the regular season, if they do its out of rotation. There are rarely sometimes young rotation players coming in to the summer league to continue developing their game.

Old 05-06-2023, 02:28 PM

7,073 posts, read 11,375,909 times
Wemba's "people" are going to have an outsized say in how he is developed. He has a ton of leverage as a generational prospect, and they are not going to push a fast weight gain, or heavy weight lifting. They already said as much in an article by Windhorst. They want him to gain strength without strain, and gain weight as he ages naturally, not "put on pounds" to hit a target weight.

I'm interested to see, but my crystal ball says not to expect to see too much of him next year, it is a HUGE jump from his current situation in France to the NBA. His people will not allow him to be rushed, he will be shut down at the first hint of injury. He will not be asked to carry a team at this age and take the pounding that means game after game.

Old 05-06-2023, 04:03 PM

3,861 posts, read 4,466,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Wemba's "people" are going to have an outsized say in how he is developed. He has a ton of leverage as a generational prospect, and they are not going to push a fast weight gain, or heavy weight lifting. They already said as much in an article by Windhorst. They want him to gain strength without strain, and gain weight as he ages naturally, not "put on pounds" to hit a target weight.

I'm interested to see, but my crystal ball says not to expect to see too much of him next year, it is a HUGE jump from his current situation in France to the NBA. His people will not allow him to be rushed, he will be shut down at the first hint of injury. He will not be asked to carry a team at this age and take the pounding that means game after game.
He needs to get with Giannis. Everyone forgets that dude was a twig when he got drafted. A ton of hard work later has transformed his physique. Now it might be a genetics thing as well, but he could at least try. If he has even half the muscle that Giannis has, it will be more than enough combined with his height and skillset.

Old 05-07-2023, 02:04 PM

I am intrigued to see a full-speed Zion hurtling for a tomahawk against a waiting Wemba.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball