Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2023, 04:52 AM

7,430 posts, read 4,672,937 times

Advertisements

FIBA U16

CONGRATULATIONS USA! USA! USA!

They won the Gold Medal last night in the FIBA U16 Americas beating Canada by more than 80 points (not a typo).

The USA team along with the 3 other top 4 finishers -- Argentina, Puerto Rico, and Canada -- advances to the FIBA U17 World Cup next year.

I disagree with the Mythical 5 selections which I think was a bit weighted on their last game and on win % instead of the entire tournament body of work.

The official Mythical 5 are:
- Felipe Quinones (Puerto Rico)
- Darryn Peterson (USA)
- Paul Osoruyi (Canada)
- Ivan Pratto (Argentina)
- Cam Boozer (USA)

To me, the top performers are those who have highest points coupled with highest EFF (meaning they just don't get points by being ballhogs but they had to shoot well AND they also have to do other productive stats like rebound, assist, steal and minimize turnover). It should be regardless of win % and final game performances (which are classification games, I think that is the reason they weigh that a bit heavier). My reasoning is because you miss out on guys who are truly top performers in the entire tournament but could not win as much due to being in weaker team. Meanwhile, picking the top player in a well-balanced team like Canada and Argentina is a disservice to the other players as there is not much difference between the top player and the 2nd, 3rd...6th player in performance. I'd rather they put the entire Canada and Argentina teams in the Mythical 5 rather than choose 1 player from each.

Here is my Yippeekayay Mythical 5:

- Darryn Peterson (USA)
- Karim Lopez (Mexico)
- Lucas Morillo (DR)
- Koa Pete (USA)
- Cam Boozer (USA)

My last note in the Finals game. JJ Mandaquit is an unheralded player. He collared Canada's top player Kamai Samuels with his tight defense.

Last edited by Yippeekayay; 06-12-2023 at 05:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2023, 07:38 AM

Will Lakers' Austin Reaves make the final cut for USA senior's team? He was contacted by Germany which is part of his heritage to invite him to what would be a sure spot on the German team but apparently he is not interested and prefers to tryout for USA.

I don't know about you guys. We are already a very strong and successful team. I prefer those with opportunities to play for their non-US heritage to go there. This makes FIBA games more exciting with more NBA stars spread around various competing nations.

Guys in the past and present like Olajuwon, Ewing, Duncan, Adebayo, etc...they could have helped their respective heritage nations.

Old 06-14-2023, 07:55 AM

FIBA U19

From a starting 30 players in the pool, USA cut the roster down to 18.

The finalists are Mark Armstrong, Tobe Awaka, Omaha Biliew, Kylan Boswell, Kanon Catchings, Myles Colvin, Eric Dailey Jr., Freddie Dilione, Jeremy Fears Jr., Trentyn Flowers, Dylan Harper, Ian Jackson, Tre Johnson, Ven-Allen Lubin, Asa Newell, Cameron Scott, Ernest Udeh and Cody Williams.

Among these 18, the names to watch out for are: Armstrong (I expect him to get the reins in Arkansas in his sophomore year), Dailey Jr, Fears Jr, Harper (#1 in nation for 2024 and younger brother for Ron Jr.), Jackson (#5, 2024) , Johnson (#3, 2024) and Newell (#16, 2024). We'll see who among these make final 12 roster. It's possible Billew and Williams go in and Armstrong is left out.

https://www.usab.com/news/2023/06/us...team-finalists

Old 06-14-2023, 09:33 AM

Really sad for Philippines. #1 Dylan Harper and #47 Vyc Miller had been invited, requested, pursued to play for Pinas rather than USA but sadly, these 2 talented kids, and understandably so, chose to represent US. They go to that sad short list of kids who could have made Pinas more competitive but just had to go with US. This included Kamaka Hepa (U18 2019 USA team) and Jalen Green (U16, U17 and U19 USA Team from 2017-2019). Now we are adding Dylan Harper to that list. And it hits hard because like Jalen Green, he is #1 in the country. (As a side note, Cade Cunningham only replaced Green in 2020 for #1 position).

I could only imagine what the addition of Harper and Miller to the Pinas team would have done. I'm almost certain they would have advanced to the U19 World Cup. It's not everyday your country gets 2 Top 50 USA players. Then you add previously unknown duo of Reinhard Jumamoy and SJ Moore to the roster of Caelum Harris (top 150 USA), 6'8 bigs Mason Amos, Jireh Tumaneng, Seven Gagate, and Gab Demisana, 6'7 Luis Pablo and Alex Konov, sharpshooter James Nacua, athletic Josh Coronel..

..and this slammajammer Andrew Miller and oh boy ...Philippines WOULD HAVE made a LOUD NOISE this U19 World Cup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzqbNyfZJCQ

Old 06-17-2023, 07:24 AM

FIBA U16 Women

USA team advances to quarterfinals. Top players for USA are: McKenna Wolikzco, Trinity Jones, and Jerzy Robinson. Argentina also has a standout in the tournament thus far in Milagros Morrell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btJpTN8CZ7o

Old 06-17-2023, 07:34 AM

FIBA U19

This is it. After USA U18 team last year won gold in the Americas and more importantly, qualified the USA for the U19 World Cup -- we now have the final 12 roster for the U19 FIBA World Cup this September in Hungary.

The USA Team includes Mark Armstrong, Tobe Awaka, Omaha Biliew, Kylan Boswell, Myles Colvin, Eric Dailey Jr., Dylan Harper, Ian Jackson, Tre Johnson, Ven-Allen Lubin, Asa Newell and Cody Williams.

From my prediction list (click here), Jeremy Fears Jr is the only one who got cut.

Old 06-18-2023, 08:27 AM

FIBA U16 Women

USA team advances to semifinals after beating DR. Next up will be against Argentina who escaped Colombia by 1 point in their quarterfinals match.

The other semi match pits Puerto Rico v Canada.

Old 06-19-2023, 02:35 PM

FIBA U16 Women

USA will battle Canada for the Finals tonight! May be best team win.

Top players for USA are: Jerzy Robinson, McKenna Wolikzco, Darriana Alexander and Trinity Jones. Canada has Cearah Parchment and Deniya Prawl. Meanwhile, other top players are Sther Ubaka of Brazil, Milagros Morrell of Argentina and Sofia Acuna of Mexico.

Old 06-19-2023, 03:23 PM

FIBA U19 World Cup

Just less than a week before tip-off guys. Will Canada's 7'7 sensation Olivier Rioux make the final 12? Hopefully so as it would be nice to see him go up against great competition. Will he be a future NBA point guard?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDtgXSI7BZ8

More realistically, Spain's 6'11 Baba Miller

Last edited by Yippeekayay; 06-19-2023 at 03:40 PM..

Old 06-20-2023, 07:12 AM

FIBA U19 World Cup

Two Eastern Michigan players -- Martynov (Canada) and Osojnik (Slovenia) will compete for respective nations in U19 World Cup.

https://emueagles.com/news/2023/6/19...world-cup.aspx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball