Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2020, 09:35 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,241,183 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10ngKdCZagQ

Saw this video and it got me to thinking about just how bad this franchise is.

I live here, and people love to talk about the old days of the Hornets but honestly that incarnation wasn't that special either. They were just, okay at best, I think people love them because of the unique floor and purple/teal uniforms. They had one okay playoff run (2001 as a 6th seed) that ended in disappointment where they could have made the ECF's but couldn't hold a 3-2 series lead against Milwaukee. The Alonzo/LJ days were short and left a lot to wonder what could have been had they stayed together. They drafted Kobe but traded him for 2 years of Vlade Divac. The ownership pissed a lot of people off and they eventually relocated in 2002 and very few people were sad to see them go.

This current incarnation, oh boy I could write a book about this but I'll try and keep it brief. I'm not sure if trading Kobe brought a curse on them that still lingers over or what but they're a mess and the future doesn't look anything special. The biggest thing for me is just how poorly they are managed. I don't get how any sane GM passes on that offer that the Celtics handed them in 2015. There are owners out there that would sell their soul for an offer like that, and the Hornets say "No thanks, we're not sure what we would do with all this draft capital" . Michael Jordan, he may be the GOAT player but his ownership has been nothing but a disappointment. The guy seems more interested in continuing to sell himself than run an NBA team, if you go to a Hornets game there's always Jordan brand merchandise that is the "item of the game" and like clockwork, the fans eat it up and pay the $100 for the jumpman t-shirt. I will give him he's been decent for the business community here but there were a lot of expectations when he bought the Bobcats in 2010 and other than the franchise going back to the Hornets, there hasn't been a lot on the floor that has gotten people excited. Such is life being a small-market but the franchise is mis-managed.

Right now, they have Devonte Graham who could turn into an All-Star but like Kemba Walker before him, will probably have to carry the team on his back because there's not much depth. Other younger players like Miles Bridges and PJ Washington are kind of hard to get a read on. I'm already kind of over Malik Monk and think it would be a mistake to sign him to a big contract. Speaking of which, Donovan Mitchell was the next pick . PJ Washington was one pick before Tyler Herro too, which could look like another facepalm.

I know many of you are going to say the Clippers, but hear me out. As bad as the Clippers have been, they at least have the Lob City years and still have Kawhi on the roster. I get they wiffed in the playoffs but they probably will have another chance to correct their mistake next season. The Hornets have never had this. Even other teams like the Kings, they had The Greatest Show on Court, and the T-Wolves had about 8 years of Garnett, including one year he won the MVP. The only other team I can think of that has never really had anything fond to look back on would maybe be the Atlanta Hawks? But even then, they had a recent 60-win season and they also had Spud Webb and Dominique Wilkins.

So what do you guys think? Is there a case for the Hornets being the worst franchise ever or am I just over-reacting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2020, 06:44 AM

3,954 posts, read 2,345,154 times
Well.... You make me feel better about my Knicks. Thanks. I take it personally that the Knicks haven't been competitive since the 90's. I think the curse for the Knicks happened when they traded Patrick Ewing. Ever since then it's been all downhill. Like the Knicks, what direction are the Hornets going into? Are they going to build around Graham? Who is their potential All-Star? Julius Randle for the Knicks proved that he can't be the man so the Hornets need to figure out who they are going to build around. Or who is going to be their nucleus, big 3, whateva.

Old 10-29-2020, 04:23 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,241,183 times
I know the Knicks as they are now and the past whatever years it's been, have been largely terrible but I'm old enough to remember their 1999 run to the Finals as well as them knocking the Heat out of the playoffs for something like 4 years in a row. The Hornets then and now have never had such a thing, there's just not much to look back on w/ fond memories with this franchise.

I didn't mention it in my first post because it was getting too long, but the Hornets have never won a 4-game playoff series and are the only NBA team to not do so. Their last playoff series win was 2002, the last year of the 'original' Hornets, a 3-1 series win over the Magic. If you go back and try to pinpoint one "signature" moment, it would probably be Alonzo Mournings shot to knock the Celtics out of the 1993 playoffs but that's been over 25 years now. What would be second? Sweeping Miami in 2001? Then what, Glen Rice winning the 1997 All-Star game MVP? And after that, it gets really barren. The current incarnation has next to nothing that would be a "signature" moment but they've got plenty of whiffs and a bunch of mediocrity attached to their name.

They've got the #3 pick in this upcoming draft, but everything I've read seems to indicate this draft is going to be rather weak. There's also the fact that Charlotte isn't exactly a high-draw UFA destination. Still though, that doesn't prevent other small-market teams from being competitive and trying their best to compete in a large-market/star-driven league.

The good news is after this upcoming season, the contracts of Nic Batum and Cody Zeller come off the books so there's an opportunity to try and build around Graham w/ younger legs if he ends up developing into All-Star material. But they've shown in the past they have no idea how to do this, so I'm not exactly holding my breath.

Old 10-30-2020, 06:51 AM

3,954 posts, read 2,345,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
I know the Knicks as they are now and the past whatever years it's been, have been largely terrible but I'm old enough to remember their 1999 run to the Finals as well as them knocking the Heat out of the playoffs for something like 4 years in a row. The Hornets then and now have never had such a thing, there's just not much to look back on w/ fond memories with this franchise.

I didn't mention it in my first post because it was getting too long, but the Hornets have never won a 4-game playoff series and are the only NBA team to not do so. Their last playoff series win was 2002, the last year of the 'original' Hornets, a 3-1 series win over the Magic. If you go back and try to pinpoint one "signature" moment, it would probably be Alonzo Mournings shot to knock the Celtics out of the 1993 playoffs but that's been over 25 years now. What would be second? Sweeping Miami in 2001? Then what, Glen Rice winning the 1997 All-Star game MVP? And after that, it gets really barren. The current incarnation has next to nothing that would be a "signature" moment but they've got plenty of whiffs and a bunch of mediocrity attached to their name.

They've got the #3 pick in this upcoming draft, but everything I've read seems to indicate this draft is going to be rather weak. There's also the fact that Charlotte isn't exactly a high-draw UFA destination. Still though, that doesn't prevent other small-market teams from being competitive and trying their best to compete in a large-market/star-driven league.

The good news is after this upcoming season, the contracts of Nic Batum and Cody Zeller come off the books so there's an opportunity to try and build around Graham w/ younger legs if he ends up developing into All-Star material. But they've shown in the past they have no idea how to do this, so I'm not exactly holding my breath.
At the time the Hornets picked up Nick Batum, I thought it was a good deal. Being he was a young player who had upside before the deal. Like Julius Randle, didn't play up to his hype. I have to agree with you about developing Graham into an All-Star. They don't seem to have direction. That's been Jordan's cross to bear. If the Hornets get James Wiseman with that #3 pick, that's something to build on. Rookies are a crap shoot even when drafted #1(See Anthony Bennett, etc.). However, I just believe that Wiseman could be the Hornets cornerstone. Or not!! Hornets can continue to suck so at least my Knicks can count a win on the schedule.

Old 10-30-2020, 07:05 AM

4,829 posts, read 4,282,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
At the time the Hornets picked up Nick Batum, I thought it was a good deal. Being he was a young player who had upside before the deal. Like Julius Randle, didn't play up to his hype. I have to agree with you about developing Graham into an All-Star. They don't seem to have direction. That's been Jordan's cross to bear. If the Hornets get James Wiseman with that #3 pick, that's something to build on. Rookies are a crap shoot even when drafted #1(See Anthony Bennett, etc.). However, I just believe that Wiseman could be the Hornets cornerstone. Or not!! Hornets can continue to suck so at least my Knicks can count a win on the schedule.
Nic Batum and Wes Matthews have never been quite what they were in Portland. They have both fell victim to the best team they played on, couldn't afford to pay them and retain them.

Old 12-16-2020, 11:22 AM

507 posts, read 277,421 times
I've been living around Charlotte for 1.5 decade. I will say yes, one of the worst in the NBA. Seldom win a playoff spot, small market, bad management, etc.

Old 12-16-2020, 08:45 PM

4,860 posts, read 6,922,850 times
I would say that the Minnesota Timberwolves will definitely give Charlotte a run for this honor. Other than a couple years when they had Kevin Garnett and Stephan Marbury they've been nothing but a footnote on every NBA season.

If you're talking worst EVER I wouldn't mention the Knicks. They once had fabulous team during the Willis Reed, Walt Frazier, Dave Debuscherre (sp), Bill Bradley years.

Old 12-17-2020, 12:04 PM

507 posts, read 277,421 times
Yes, Hornets, Wolves and Knicks are the three worst teams in recent years. My list also includes Kings and Piston. They are pretty quiet in last decade as well.

Old 12-18-2020, 06:46 PM

14,679 posts, read 14,639,000 times
It's not really fair to compare an expansion team to one of the original franchises. Charlotte and Minnesota are the worst in raw terms, but compare that to the Knicks and Blazers (before Lilliard) in how they've drafted; the Knicks drafted Mark Jackson in 1987 and didn't pick another All-Star until Porzingis five years ago. The Blazers passed on Jordan & Durant, who were known commodities on draft day, for absolute busts.
And the Knicks' situation really is the worst, like the Warriors before Joe Lacob took over, because they're in the biggest city and media market in the U.S. where they should be attracting top talent (both in the boardroom and on the court), while the Hornets and Wolves at least have the excuse they don't have the resources or desirable locations to keep players once they can sign elsewhere.

Old 12-23-2020, 03:58 PM

4,430 posts, read 2,705,662 times
The Bobcats/Hornets have been around for 16 seasons and made the postseason three times, never winning a series.

The Buffalo Braves/San Diego Clippers/Los Angeles Clippers from 1976-77 through 2004-05 also made the playoffs only three times without winning a series, but that similar exercise in futility spanned 29 years, and mostly in an era when a larger percentage of the league made the postseason.

That beats the run of the current Charlotte team by quite a stretch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball