Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2021, 06:58 AM

507 posts, read 277,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerfan84 View Post
He has a high ceiling if he can become a + defender and improve his shot. Honestly, he's everything we wanted Lonzo to be. This is my opinion, but I think Lonzo was drafted to the wrong team at the wrong time. Melo ended up on a franchise that had been struggling for some time with trips to the playoffs, but not much else. Not much was expected so the bar was set pretty low. He is within a franchise that doesn't have win now aspirations, they just want to get off the cellar floor.
He could be a franchise player like Stephen Curry. I mean the whole team is gonna build up around him. When you start a team, you first choose the playmaker, who is Ball. Then you pick a center, a shooter, a power forward, etc. He grows up in a sport family like Curry, and his brothers all professionally playing in the NBA as well. His father believes the youngest is the best. Hornets is soooo lucky getting him, like getting Kobe in 98'. But we didn't trade him this time, and are gonna treat him like superstar. Hornets fans desperately need a new hero, and he could carry the burden.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2021, 09:20 AM

4,829 posts, read 4,283,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoot001 View Post
He could be a franchise player like Stephen Curry. I mean the whole team is gonna build up around him. When you start a team, you first choose the playmaker, who is Ball. Then you pick a center, a shooter, a power forward, etc. He grows up in a sport family like Curry, and his brothers all professionally playing in the NBA as well. His father believes the youngest is the best. Hornets is soooo lucky getting him, like getting Kobe in 98'. But we didn't trade him this time, and are gonna treat him like superstar. Hornets fans desperately need a new hero, and he could carry the burden.
Whoa whoa whoa, let's pump the brakes on Steph comparisons. Steph could shoot lights out in college, while LaMelo's shot has been consistently shaky. I feel that LaMelo is more confident in his 3 point stroke than his brother Lonzo, which is a big plus. LaMelo has a far higher ceiling than Lonzo.

LaMelo has been fun and he's been a breath of fresh air this season. Even Malik Monk had a big game this season. I just hope it's not more of the past with Monk, where he's red hot for a couple of weeks, before being back to limited minutes. He can play and can absolutely cook, but Charlotte needs that more consistently. This will be a big year for Charlotte to just scope out their talent and see where this team can go.

Surprisingly, the one thing we aren't talking about, is the addition of Terry Rozier in the Kemba Walker trade, which didn't plateau this team as much as I thought it would. I thought he would be going to Charlotte to get his pay day, but be mostly trash. He's been worth every penny of his contract thus far. I think Scary Terry has been the real catalyst on this rebuild, since he never quite let the team crash and burn.

Old 02-03-2021, 09:37 AM

30,156 posts, read 11,783,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerfan84 View Post
Whoa whoa whoa, let's pump the brakes on Steph comparisons. Steph could shoot lights out in college, while LaMelo's shot has been consistently shaky. I feel that LaMelo is more confident in his 3 point stroke than his brother Lonzo, which is a big plus. LaMelo has a far higher ceiling than Lonzo.

Surprisingly, the one thing we aren't talking about, is the addition of Terry Rozier in the Kemba Walker trade, which didn't plateau this team as much as I thought it would. I thought he would be going to Charlotte to get his pay day, but be mostly trash. He's been worth every penny of his contract thus far. I think Scary Terry has been the real catalyst on this rebuild, since he never quite let the team crash and burn.

So is Haywood who is putting up career numbers. 23PPG 50/43/86 in shooting percentages. Question with the team is they might be good enough to sneak into the playoffs this year. But what do you do with the roster going forward to compete in the east? They need a second star with LeMelo. I don't think Rozier or Haywood is that person.

Old 02-03-2021, 09:45 AM

^ Haywood can be that person. He's only 30. He and Rozier are the steal we got from Celtics and work pretty well together in Charlotte.

^^ Melo is a play-maker, while Curry is a shooter. Different type of players. But Melo could be as influential as Curry to the NBA. He's more like a new Jason Kidd or Luka.

Old 02-03-2021, 10:13 AM

Quote:
^ Haywood can be that person. He's only 30. He and Rozier are the steal we got from Celtics and work pretty well together in Charlotte.

^^ Melo is a play-maker, while Curry is a shooter. Different type of players. But Melo could be as influential as Curry to the NBA. He's more like a new Jason Kidd or Luka.
The big knock on Seth is that he's a sieve on defense. I love his grit for the game though! He never reached the heights of his brother, but I think he has outperformed who he was 4 or 5 years ago. Dallas absolutely misses him.

Old 02-03-2021, 10:16 AM

I'm talking about Stephen Curry. To me, Stephen==Melo, Seth==Lonzo

Old 02-03-2021, 11:34 AM

1,543 posts, read 1,532,985 times
I'm just glad the Hornets won't be the worst this year!

Old 02-03-2021, 01:45 PM

Quote:
I'm talking about Stephen Curry. To me, Stephen==Melo, Seth==Lonzo
My fault. I interchanged them.

Old 02-04-2021, 01:27 PM

3,835 posts, read 4,442,278 times
Pure fantasy that will never happen and if it did, wouldnt amount to anything, but indulge me.
The Pelicans declined to extend Lonzo. What if he came to Charlotte?
I've always said that there is something, somehow that is holding him back. Maybe it was the hyping up his dad did, maybe it was the bright spotlight being in LA, I dont know. The dynamic point guard I watched at UCLA has just vanished. If it's not a fast break, he walks up the court with the ball, and hands it off to go stand in the corner. Just not the guy we all thought.

Maybe playing in a small market, and more importantly playing with a familiar face by his side in his brother might spark something? If he could ever average 15 pts, 8 assists and 7 reb plus he is now a decent defender. That would be great. Plus at 6-6, he adds the size that is sorely lacking in the present backcourt with the two midgets Graham and Rozier.
Not to speak of the marketing if the Ball Brothers really take off.
Oh well, back to the real world.

Old 02-04-2021, 07:29 PM

30,156 posts, read 11,783,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
Pure fantasy that will never happen and if it did, wouldnt amount to anything, but indulge me.
The Pelicans declined to extend Lonzo. What if he came to Charlotte?
I've always said that there is something, somehow that is holding him back. Maybe it was the hyping up his dad did, maybe it was the bright spotlight being in LA, I dont know. The dynamic point guard I watched at UCLA has just vanished. If it's not a fast break, he walks up the court with the ball, and hands it off to go stand in the corner. Just not the guy we all thought.

Maybe playing in a small market, and more importantly playing with a familiar face by his side in his brother might spark something? If he could ever average 15 pts, 8 assists and 7 reb plus he is now a decent defender. That would be great. Plus at 6-6, he adds the size that is sorely lacking in the present backcourt with the two midgets Graham and Rozier.
Not to speak of the marketing if the Ball Brothers really take off.
Oh well, back to the real world.

I am sure LaVar Ball is hoping for this to happen. And probably pushing for it to happen. I am a big UCLA fan and Lonzo was amazing in his one year there and its been surprising that he has not turned into that player he seemed destined to become.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball