Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2020, 09:39 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,095,352 times

Advertisements

I think a big issue is Jordan. He's like Jerry Jones in the NFL. He's too heavy handed and involved instead of hiring basketball operations people and letting them work. The team needs a rebuild and Jordan can't accept that because he doesn't like losing so he gives out bad contracts to mid-level free agents which cripple the franchise for years.

I think a lot of people don't want to play for Jordan after what he did to Kwame Brown...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2020, 09:41 PM

8,808 posts, read 10,265,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
I think a big issue is Jordan. He's like Jerry Jones in the NFL. He's too heavy handed and involved instead of hiring basketball operations people and letting them work. The team needs a rebuild and Jordan can't accept that because he doesn't like losing so he gives out bad contracts to mid-level free agents which cripple the franchise for years.

I think a lot of people don't want to play for Jordan after what he did to Kwame Brown...
I don't disagree. He brings in friends to "help" him run the team, aka affirm his stature as the "GOAT". I met a few of them during the Bobcats days when I was a season-ticket holder, nice guys but it was painfully clear they were there because they were Jordans boys.

I mean, if you are an MKG or a Nic Batum type of player and you have a good year while UFA status looms, you'll love Jordan because he will overpay to keep you and will have to buy you out to say goodbye, please leave Charlotte.

Old 01-04-2021, 11:40 AM

8,988 posts, read 17,331,614 times
The Charlotte Hornets own the history of the Larry Johnson teams from the 90s, so I am inclined to say they're in the mix for worst, but not the worst. I would cast my vote for Minnesota.

- They could only advance past the first round of the playoffs one time during the Kevin Garnett era
- They have as many 60 loss seasons as they do playoff appearances.
- In the last 15 seasons, they've only had one winning season, compared to four 60 loss seasons.

I think you could make a case that Charlotte has done only slightly better despite being in the weaker Eastern Conference over most of their history. However, for most of their history the Timberwolves have barely been competitive. At their peak in the Garnett years, they were only eliminated by the eventual champs once. In the only conference finals appearance, they lost to the Lakers team that lost to the Pistons.

I'd throw Charlotte in as an honorable mention, along side Memphis and New Orleans.

Old 02-02-2021, 07:47 AM

507 posts, read 278,517 times
They are doing much better this season, could be back to the playoff after 5 yrs.

Old 02-02-2021, 08:26 AM

30,262 posts, read 11,884,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
The Charlotte Hornets own the history of the Larry Johnson teams from the 90s, so I am inclined to say they're in the mix for worst, but not the worst. I would cast my vote for Minnesota.

- They could only advance past the first round of the playoffs one time during the Kevin Garnett era
- They have as many 60 loss seasons as they do playoff appearances.
- In the last 15 seasons, they've only had one winning season, compared to four 60 loss seasons.

I think you could make a case that Charlotte has done only slightly better despite being in the weaker Eastern Conference over most of their history. However, for most of their history the Timberwolves have barely been competitive. At their peak in the Garnett years, they were only eliminated by the eventual champs once. In the only conference finals appearance, they lost to the Lakers team that lost to the Pistons.

I'd throw Charlotte in as an honorable mention, along side Memphis and New Orleans.
Of the 4 teams you mentioned I would say Minnesota is the most likely to still be bad in 5 years. They seem to draft the wrong players, make the wrong trades and seem to be unable to pull themselves out of the mess they have.

The other 3 have talented young players who could be the stars of the league in a few years. But they have to keep those players and not let them slip away like AD or Garnett back in the past.

Old 02-02-2021, 10:41 AM

1,546 posts, read 1,542,073 times
They have LeMelo Ball. He's exciting. Right now, he's a front runner for Rookie of the Year. Build around him. Even ESPN is keeping up with him. He may be what the Hornets need to turn things around.

Old 02-02-2021, 11:51 AM

507 posts, read 278,517 times
Yes, Melo is what we are looking for for a very long time, say, a decade or two decades. Best pick since Mourning in franchise history. MJ made numerous mistakes and finally got it right, with the help of Mitch the GM.

Melo is Charlotte's Trae Young, ROY front runner. Some fans even compare him with young Magic.

Old 02-02-2021, 04:42 PM

3,858 posts, read 4,458,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hickoryfan View Post
They have LeMelo Ball. He's exciting. Right now, he's a front runner for Rookie of the Year. Build around him. Even ESPN is keeping up with him. He may be what the Hornets need to turn things around.
I gotta say, I was very skeptical of this guy especially after the way his brother has been over his career. But that game against the Bucks made a believer out of me. He's awesome! I honestly think his ceiling might be Luka. Dont know if he'll get there but his skillset is capable of getting to that level.

Old 02-03-2021, 05:44 AM

4,828 posts, read 4,292,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoot001 View Post
Yes, Melo is what we are looking for for a very long time, say, a decade or two decades. Best pick since Mourning in franchise history. MJ made numerous mistakes and finally got it right, with the help of Mitch the GM.

Melo is Charlotte's Trae Young, ROY front runner. Some fans even compare him with young Magic.
He has a high ceiling if he can become a + defender and improve his shot. Honestly, he's everything we wanted Lonzo to be. This is my opinion, but I think Lonzo was drafted to the wrong team at the wrong time. Melo ended up on a franchise that had been struggling for some time with trips to the playoffs, but not much else. Not much was expected so the bar was set pretty low. He is within a franchise that doesn't have win now aspirations, they just want to get off the cellar floor.

Old 02-03-2021, 06:46 AM

4,044 posts, read 2,390,047 times
https://www.nba.com/news/lamelo-ball...s-of-the-month

Hey, Melo is doing his thing. He may be ROY if he keeps it up. Haven't seen Haliburton enough to give a opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball