Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 11:21 AM

1,830 posts, read 2,150,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
There are a small number of people that make that complaint around here but they generally don't understand that there has been a semi-hard salary cap (for years) and a new extremely nasty salary tax kicking in after this season.

The Lakers were able to attract Dwight because their management has had thier Sh*t together for years, unlike Orlando and so you can have some degree of faith that they won't screw things up like other franchises have repeatedly (Knicks etc.) I mean look at the Knicks, they have all the advantages that LA has but are badly run....it's not about the money.

The majority of us being labeled haters are the same guys that pointed out that last years thread about Sessions being the missing piece of a Lakers Championship was "crack talk". Some of the people crying about "haters" were guys that just last year were telling me Bynum was as good as Dwight and I was a Laker hater for arguing otherwise. Pointing out Nash is 39? Hater. Pointing out the Kobe was has aged? Hater. Pointing out Bynum and especially Gasol were not the big problem in the playoffs? Hater.

It just seems that we get a flood of very young casual fans flooding in everytime a move is made by the Lakers and when the more serious fans point out problems with thier thinking, they get butt hurt and scream hater.

I even have one passive aggressive coward that leaves me anonymous reps calling me names lol.

The bottom line is that the Lakers don't neccessarily have better resources, they are merely very well run.
God, just look at how bad the Dwight trade was for Orlando. What a bunch of morons lol....and they are still paying gilbert Arenas 25million this year...bwah hah hah hah hahhhhhh.
The thing is though, if these same people that complain about the Lakers "always getting their way," would they really be saying the same thing if their team had the resources and superior decision making of the Lakers? I'll admit, the Lakers have the ability to attract better resources than any other team, other than the Knicks, is it their fault that they use it well? Why do the Lakers need to be ridiculed and have an entire CBA negotiation revolve around them? It's pretty ridiculous.

Sure Kobe is 34 and Nash is 39, but these aren't your typical veterans, they guys can still ball out of their minds and take over games.

What's wrong with fans being excited about Howard? If any other team were to acquire him, they'd be exctatic.

I just see it as sour grapes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 12:14 PM

3,440 posts, read 5,716,406 times
Being 2nd best in the best ain't so bad.

The Thunder will be the only thing standing in the Laker's way in the west.

Old 08-16-2012, 12:54 PM

78,347 posts, read 60,547,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
The thing is though, if these same people that complain about the Lakers "always getting their way," would they really be saying the same thing if their team had the resources and superior decision making of the Lakers? I'll admit, the Lakers have the ability to attract better resources than any other team, other than the Knicks, is it their fault that they use it well? Why do the Lakers need to be ridiculed and have an entire CBA negotiation revolve around them? It's pretty ridiculous.

Sure Kobe is 34 and Nash is 39, but these aren't your typical veterans, they guys can still ball out of their minds and take over games.

What's wrong with fans being excited about Howard? If any other team were to acquire him, they'd be exctatic.

I just see it as sour grapes.
There are differences of opinions as to how improved the Lakers will be with the roster changes.

The acquisition of Howard is universally regarded as a positive.

If you want to call people haters or sour grapes for having a different assessment of Laker capabilities then we will just have to agree to disagree. I personally see a large number of young, clueless Laker fans popping up proclaiming another championship is in the bag and so if people want to use the haters\sour grapes tags then it's fair game to make fun of all the noob bandwagoners roaming around.

Right up until the beat down delivered by OKC in the 2nd round we had to hear about the Lakers winning the championship last year.

Old 08-17-2012, 12:18 AM

Quote:
There are differences of opinions as to how improved the Lakers will be with the roster changes.

The acquisition of Howard is universally regarded as a positive.

If you want to call people haters or sour grapes for having a different assessment of Laker capabilities then we will just have to agree to disagree. I personally see a large number of young, clueless Laker fans popping up proclaiming another championship is in the bag and so if people want to use the haters\sour grapes tags then it's fair game to make fun of all the noob bandwagoners roaming around.

Right up until the beat down delivered by OKC in the 2nd round we had to hear about the Lakers winning the championship last year.
What has me confident against the Thunder was how close it really was. It certainly wasn't a beat down by any means. Game 1 aside, the series was close, and if not for some horrid play in the 4th quarter of two games, the series would be a lot longer. I am definitely very optimistic and like the Lakers' chances.

I say sour grapes, because if your team or any team for that matter would have gotten Dwight Howard and Steve Nash in the same offseason, you or anyone would be incredible happy.

Old 08-17-2012, 07:06 AM

Quote:
What has me confident against the Thunder was how close it really was. It certainly wasn't a beat down by any means. Game 1 aside, the series was close, and if not for some horrid play in the 4th quarter of two games, the series would be a lot longer. I am definitely very optimistic and like the Lakers' chances.

I say sour grapes, because if your team or any team for that matter would have gotten Dwight Howard and Steve Nash in the same offseason, you or anyone would be incredible happy.
My team is the Bulls.

I would be thrilled to get Howard.
I would be pissed to get Nash at 39...on a 3 year contract no less.

If you love offense and flow etc. you will generally like Nash.
When you know that defense wins championships and you see Nash play you want to poke your eyes out.
Remember this as you watch Laker games this year.

The Lakers got better but they haven't addressed their fundamental issues of:
1) Outside-In play. Gotta have Kobe buy-in or it will be a repeat of last year.
2) Perimeter defense. The Lakers got worse on this.
3) Your coach.

Regardless, it's exciting and drama-filled so I'm extremely excited for the season to get going.
The Lakers are the *wildcard* this year in the NBA.

Old 08-17-2012, 12:22 PM

Quote:
My team is the Bulls.

I would be thrilled to get Howard.
I would be pissed to get Nash at 39...on a 3 year contract no less.

If you love offense and flow etc. you will generally like Nash.
When you know that defense wins championships and you see Nash play you want to poke your eyes out.
Remember this as you watch Laker games this year.

The Lakers got better but they haven't addressed their fundamental issues of:
1) Outside-In play. Gotta have Kobe buy-in or it will be a repeat of last year.
2) Perimeter defense. The Lakers got worse on this.
3) Your coach.

Regardless, it's exciting and drama-filled so I'm extremely excited for the season to get going.
The Lakers are the *wildcard* this year in the NBA.

I don't buy that. At 39, Nash has proven to be far more durable than most PG's, even your very own Derek Rose. I would rather have a 39 year old Nash, than a Rose who is the real definition of injury prone and now coming back his durability will really be questioned. Who knows if he will ever be same, and how much are you paying him? Sorry, but I never recall Nash going out like that.

1. The only reason why Kobe never truly embraced the outside-in play was because of our lack of perimeter shooting. Teams would just swarm our bigs in the pain. Hence, why the Lakers had so many turnovers. The Lakers tried it and often, but would more often than not have the ball taken away. This season, with the addition of Meeks, Nash, and the open looks Nash will give our shooters, the floor will be far more spread out and turnovers should be down.

2. The Lakers have always been garbage in perimeter defense. Does Derek Fisher ring a bell? Is Nash really any worse than D.Fish? The Lakers were still able to win 5 championships with that glaring hole.

3. Brown didn't do such a bad job. I'll give him another year.

Old 08-17-2012, 12:25 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,486,389 times
Quote:
I don't buy that. At 39, Nash has proven to be far more durable than most PG's, even your very own Derek Rose. I would rather have a 39 year old Nash, than a Rose who is the real definition of injury prone and now coming back his durability will really be questioned. Who knows if he will ever be same, and how much are you paying him? Sorry, but I never recall Nash going out like that.

The Lakers have always been garbage in perimeter defense. Does Derek Fisher ring a bell? Is Nash really any worse than D.Fish? The Lakers were still able to win 5 championships with that glaring hole.
haha you would rather have a 39 year old Nash for your franchise than D Rose? I'm sure every GM in the league agrees with you.

Even with his injury Rose has an upside of...MVP type talent, 10-15 more years in the league. Nashs upside is maybe 1-2 good season averaging like 8 and 12 or something.

You can say "nash is a better fit for this particular scenario," but to paint a picture that Nash is a bigger asset to a franchise as it stands today, is laughable.

Old 08-17-2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
haha you would rather have a 39 year old Nash for your franchise than D Rose? I'm sure every GM in the league agrees with you.

Even with his injury Rose has an upside of...MVP type talent, 10-15 more years in the league. Nashs upside is maybe 1-2 good season averaging like 8 and 12 or something.

You can say "nash is a better fit for this particular scenario," but to paint a picture that Nash is a bigger asset to a franchise as it stands today, is laughable.

I'm not saying he is better at this time, but people keep bringing up the fact that he's 39, when Nash isn't like most 39 year olds in the basketball world. He is still schooling most youngsters and has proven to be far more durable than most youngsters. Nash may indeed end up playing more games than Rose this coming season.....Nash will be on the floor playing while Rose will be rehabbing and then will need to get back into game shape. Just saying.

Old 08-17-2012, 12:53 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,486,389 times
Quote:
I'm not saying he is better at this time, but people keep bringing up the fact that he's 39, when Nash isn't like most 39 year olds in the basketball world. He is still schooling most youngsters and has proven to be far more durable than most youngsters. Nash may indeed end up playing more games than Rose this coming season.....Nash will be on the floor playing while Rose will be rehabbing and then will need to get back into game shape. Just saying.
He is 38, fwiw. I'm not saying Nash is trash (rhyme time!) but his ppg, apg, mpg, 3pt%, games played, and even FT% have all been in decline for the last 3 years. Which makes sense with his age. Now, I expect some of his numbers to perk up this year playing with some very talented players in LA, but point is, he is very clearly on the decline, and is at high risk for injury, regardless of how durable he was in phoenix.

Still it's difficult to project injuries, who would have thought Grant Hill would randomly be healthy in his late 30s when he couldnt stay healthy in his 20s?

Personally I think Nash is a good fit for the LAL, but I would temper my expectations, and not expect him to be more than a mediocre (at best) PG. And that is really all they need as you pointed out. You will still have to deal with his bad defense, and declining abilities though. Ideally Nash will make smart plays and run the offense efficently - and I don't see any reason he can't do that.

I'd still take my chances on Rose though

Old 08-17-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Who knows if he will ever be same, and how much are you paying him?
Funny, if someone wrote that about Dwight you'd bust into tears about sour grapes and haters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball