Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2020, 12:34 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,892,323 times

Advertisements

Seems everyone moving to Maine wants to live "preferably near the coast" with a "charming walkable downtown" with all the amenities available where they moved from. Lol My advice would be then try to get a job near the coast--not necessarily an easy thing to do. Your chances would be better in the Portland area. I drove from Ellsworth to Bangor for work for a summer job quite a few years ago and it got old very fast. I know others who have done it, are doing it, or drive an even longer distance. Most of them already have family ties/roots in Hancock County and don't want to move. As a new person moving into the state planning to work in Bangor, live close to your work. There are many reasons already mentioned. Add to them all those miles you will be putting on your vehicle. If you insist on working in Bangor and you want to spend time at the coast, do it on your days off. Rent first, buy later.

Last edited by mainegrl2011; 05-17-2020 at 12:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2020, 09:06 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,222,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
Seems everyone moving to Maine wants to live "preferably near the coast" with a "charming walkable downtown" with all the amenities available where they moved from. Lol My advice would be then try to get a job near the coast--not necessarily an easy thing to do. Your chances would be better in the Portland area. I drove from Ellsworth to Bangor for work for a summer job quite a few years ago and it got old very fast. I know others who have done it, are doing it, or drive an even longer distance. Most of them already have family ties/roots in Hancock County and don't want to move. As a new person moving into the state planning to work in Bangor, live close to your work. There are many reasons already mentioned. Add to them all those miles you will be putting on your vehicle. If you insist on working in Bangor and you want to spend time at the coast, do it on your days off. Rent first, buy later.
It will be interesting to see the "new" economy develop, with many employers no longer needing physical presences for some/all of their employees and the advancements with IP connectivity. After 9/11, many discovered they could work remotely and moved to Maine and I expect that trend to continue now.

Old 05-17-2020, 11:09 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,892,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoFanMe View Post
It will be interesting to see the "new" economy develop, with many employers no longer needing physical presences for some/all of their employees and the advancements with IP connectivity. After 9/11, many discovered they could work remotely and moved to Maine and I expect that trend to continue now.
Yes, it will be interesting. I think the trend to work remotely will continue in all states. I have no problem with that; however, the OP specifically stated that was not the case with her husband's job. Maybe he needs to find a job that will allow him to work remotely. Then they could live anywhere as long has they had adequate Internet access. I would have loved to have worked remotely for several reasons. One reason would be to spend more time with my dog.

I've seen videos on YouTube pre pandemic where families were living in campers, traveling the country, working remotely with children enrolled in an online school. I think we will see a variety of societal changes in the world of the so-called "new normal."

The OP posted in January which was pre pandemic shut down in the US. Her school requirements and options will be influenced and determined by the pandemic and what happens in the future as a result.

Old 05-18-2020, 10:21 AM

155 posts, read 196,079 times
To be completely blunt about it, judging from your list and expectations, I truly think you're going to be a lot happier sticking with the Portland area for your search than Bangor. Bangor is fine, don't get me wrong, but if you're looking for things like really good school options, proximity and ease to get to the coast (people not from Maine don't seem to realize how far inland Bangor is), arts/culture/food options, and obviously nearness to places like Boston and NYC, Portland is about a thousand times closer to what you seem to be interested in.

Old 05-19-2020, 06:02 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,222,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
Yes, it will be interesting. I think the trend to work remotely will continue in all states. I have no problem with that; however, the OP specifically stated that was not the case with her husband's job. Maybe he needs to find a job that will allow him to work remotely. Then they could live anywhere as long has they had adequate Internet access. I would have loved to have worked remotely for several reasons. One reason would be to spend more time with my dog.

I've seen videos on YouTube pre pandemic where families were living in campers, traveling the country, working remotely with children enrolled in an online school. I think we will see a variety of societal changes in the world of the so-called "new normal."

The OP posted in January which was pre pandemic shut down in the US. Her school requirements and options will be influenced and determined by the pandemic and what happens in the future as a result.
I was actually replying to your comments, the OP seems to have disappeared, perhaps that job went away or they have already moved to Maine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine > Bangor area