Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 07:11 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,960,879 times

Advertisements

Money changes everything. West Baltimore and much of the western part of Baltimore County is a complete dump. It's unsafe, and violent. It's even depressing to look at.
I agree with just about nothing on the right, but the left's approach to crime is nonsense. Stop making excuses for criminals.
And yes, and essay could be written about the criminal justice system. Still.....quit with this making excuses.

Off topic a bit:

By the way the Target in Cockeysville has numerous black patrons. Are "THESE" people segregated?

The sad part about Mondawmin, and much of Cockeysville is how they were developed.

They ruined the southern part of Cockeysville, and obliterated Texas (Some people tore their historic homes down because of the nonsense Baltimore County was trying to pull)

The will isn't their to stop builders (And many folks embrace them), or corporate welfare because of money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2017, 11:08 AM

2,483 posts, read 2,473,000 times
I shop at both locations and like both, I guess I blend in anywhere.

Truth is the local Mondawmin community couldn't sustain the volume and type of stores in Canton Crossing. The income just isn't there.

Wouldn't mind seeing a Walmart in the city again......... (hint hint)

Old 11-22-2017, 01:02 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picardlx View Post
Truth is the local Mondawmin community couldn't sustain the volume...
True. Nor can it be expected to produce the sort of entrepreneur I alluded to earlier.

A hundred years ago though the Electric Railroad parks nearby were doing well. Go figure.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_Park,_Baltimore
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlin%27s_Park

Quote:
Wouldn't mind seeing a Walmart in the city again......... (hint hint)
I just read that Costco is anchoring a resurrection at Owings Mills Mall.

Old 11-28-2017, 11:41 AM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
(from the article)
[qoute]They can observe the difference in amenities and resources, take note of the skin color of staff and customers. They can begin, in their young minds, to understand the social order of our world — who gets nice things and who doesn’t — and create a framework. I can’t hope they don’t see it and I can’t lie and tell them it isn’t so. Instead, I have to try to help them understand that this system of oppression and racism exists and why we must dismantle it.[/quote]

I simply cannot fathom what it must be like to live in a world where one can ignore the reality that is staring you in the face in favor of a decades-old strawman that has no more relevance to today's world than tail fins on cars.

"Who gets nice things and who doesn't" -- Apparently this person is too stupid, or more likely too blinded by their own anti-white racism, to see that the people who get nice things are the ones who don't steal them or vandalize them or destroy them. It's just that simple. And it has absolutely nothing to do with a "system of oppression and racism."

Canton is one of the safest places in Baltimore; whereas Mondawmin is where the riots started. If that alone isn't enough to help this person "get it," than nothing will.

Old 11-28-2017, 02:36 PM

8,223 posts, read 13,338,852 times
How "safe" Canton is could be considered subjective. I have friends in Canton and Fed Hill that are telling stories of their neighbors being car jacked or mugged and they don't walk to bars at night anymore. Ironically.. the danger of being car jacked and mugged is likely greater in Canton and in downtown Baltimore than around Mondawmin..riots not withstanding.

The other points referenced by the author seem to be steeped in bias and an attempt to help readers jump to their conclusions...

Old 11-28-2017, 02:47 PM

The other thing that I wonder is if either SRB or the current Mayor reached out to Target/GGP to talk about the riots and what steps they are taking to make sure security in the area is improved. I believe that SRB did so.. since the riots were under her watch.. If Mayor Pugh didn't do it when she took office.. then she could share some of the blame.. You cant wait to when someone says "I have had enough" to run to them and say what does it take to make it better.. She should have had her folks going to any and every business/development that is receiving ANY City pledged tax subsidy (mainly outside of the Inner Harbor) and have a sit down to see how they are doing and to discuss opportunities/challenges.. It only make sense to do this in a place like Baltimore.. It builds trust and relationships while improving communication.

Pugh mentioned that she has a call into the CEO of Target and would go to Minneapolis to meet him.. TOO LITTLE TOO LATE...Baltimore is not Atlanta or DC.. there are a few key anchor projects in certain neighborhoods across the City that need to be nurtured and stabilized...Mondawmin, Reisterstown Plaza, Any major Grocery Store, and owners of existing vacant big boxes like the K Marts sites in NE and NW Baltimore, Home Depot... to name a few..... The Mayor and her team of advisors need to make the rounds to talk to all these folks to get a sense of what is working and not working for them.. or they will have other businesses heading for the exits in some of these areas.

Old 12-04-2017, 12:27 PM

I wonder if a BJs Warehouse would go in the old Target (Please get keep your minds out the gutter thank you...) Its either that or Big Lots....

Old 12-05-2017, 09:41 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
What a ridiculous article or op-ed.

Old 01-13-2018, 06:47 PM

3,765 posts, read 4,098,638 times
And people can't figure out why Target at Mondawmin closed. I'm still trying to figure out why they ever opened.

Police investigating after Morgan State officer shot at man firing into air after drive-by shooting outside TGI Fridays - Baltimore Sun

Old 01-16-2018, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
And people can't figure out why Target at Mondawmin closed. I'm still trying to figure out why they ever opened.

Police investigating after Morgan State officer shot at man firing into air after drive-by shooting outside TGI Fridays - Baltimore Sun

WTH.. this is bizarre.. but then again .. so life in Balimore.. I have eaten at this restaurant a couple of time and everything seemed calm.. I did take note of one or two BPD Officers that appeared to be security there.. they must have been off on this night.... SMH

On a related note.. Rose's is moving into the old KMART up in the plaza on Northern Parkway and Wabash Ave... I am not sure who will move into the old Target.. My concern is that it wont become another retailer but some form of service center for the City. I am not against service centers but the DMV and the like while it was there do not do anything to help the retail at the Mall..even though they may increase the foot traffic in the area. If the City wants to keep diverse incomes coming to the mall.. finding another retailer should be the priority.The other options would be for Coppin or BCCC to take it over.. even if only for a short period of time.. It doesn't need to remain vacant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore