Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2013, 08:52 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,996,508 times

Advertisements

Okay, I need some help. My close friend has to move back to Baltimore and she has a pre-teen (going to be a 5th or 6th grader.) Her daughter is African American and has gone to school in Havre de Grace. Not sure she is completely ready for the "urban experience" - she's kind of a snobby, opinionated kid, but very sheltered.

We were talking about neighborhoods that would have good schools. I don't have kids, so I am guessing Hampden, Mt. Washington and Pikesville might be good areas. My friend is trying to find a two bedroom apartment for about $1000 (yeah, I laughed too!) a month that is in a great district. Anyone have any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2013, 10:14 AM

34,117 posts, read 83,097,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kharing View Post
My close friend has to move back to Baltimore...
Where is the job? Everything revolves around that commitment.

Quote:
...and she has a pre-teen (going to be a 5th or 6th grader.)
My friend is trying to find a two bedroom apartment for about $1000
Anyone have any suggestions?
Unless the child has some special ability/interest that would point her to one of the
special ability/interest high schools in 3-4 years... focus on the neighborhood.
If she does... then focus on middle schools in a system that feeds to that high school.

Which brings you back to Mom's job and her commute commitment.
Ideally... home work and school are all within a comfortable walk or bicycle range.

Old 06-15-2013, 10:19 AM

Job is in Baltimore. I originally suggested York, PA because her price point is too low, imho! She said no. Also suggested Pikesville, Catonsville, Owings Mills, White Marsh, and Perry Hall. For Baltimore neighborhoods I recommended Mt. Washington, Hampden, Medfield and Charles Village. Wondering if I am overlooking other areas.

Old 06-15-2013, 10:54 AM

13,375 posts, read 27,093,111 times
Quote:
Also suggested Pikesville, Catonsville, Owings Mills, White Marsh, and Perry Hall.
I would second these areas, but suggest looking for a house-share or basement apartment. If the budget is upped a bit, there is 2-bedroom in White Marsh at Burnham Woods at $1075. Also the Commons at White Marsh with 2 BR and 1 Bath at $840-1060.

Old 06-15-2013, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I would second these areas, but suggest looking for a house-share or basement apartment. If the budget is upped a bit, there is 2-bedroom in White Marsh at Burnham Woods at $1075. Also the Commons at White Marsh with 2 BR and 1 Bath at $840-1060.
Thanks for the suggestions!

Old 06-15-2013, 03:14 PM

34,117 posts, read 83,097,094 times
Quote:
Job is in Baltimore.
Where in B'more? It does matter.

Quote:
I recommended Mt. Washington, Hampden, Medfield and Charles Village.
Is that because the job is in the North/Central corridor of B'more?

If so then good for the girl. Some of the best school choices are up that way.
It'll be tougher to make the housing budget work but worth it for both of them.

Last edited by MrRational; 06-15-2013 at 03:35 PM..

Old 06-15-2013, 03:46 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,820,630 times
Quote:
Job is in Baltimore. I originally suggested York, PA because her price point is too low, imho! She said no. Also suggested Pikesville, Catonsville, Owings Mills, White Marsh, and Perry Hall. For Baltimore neighborhoods I recommended Mt. Washington, Hampden, Medfield and Charles Village. Wondering if I am overlooking other areas.
The Charles Village school isn't that great I've heard.

But at that age she's really looking at middle school, and pretty much all of those in the city are iffy, save a few. I've even heard not so good things about Roland Park Middle School (the elementary level is great, but after that things get dicey). The exception seems to be the Ingenuity Program, which exists in a handful of schools including Roland Park. Apparently those students are sort of kept in their own little bubble. It operates similar to an honors program. Also, Mt Washington just added a middle school 2 years ago and it's following an IB curriculum, and it's going for full certification soon. The program is working well so far.

Her mom might also want to look into the BEST program, which provide scholarships to smart African-American kids to independent schools, provided the family can prove significant financial need. I don't know if she has the financial need part but it's worth looking into anyway.

I don't know about the county middle schools specifically but in general the counties have a great rep for public education.

Old 06-15-2013, 08:13 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,443,646 times
Quote:
Okay, I need some help. My close friend has to move back to Baltimore and she has a pre-teen (going to be a 5th or 6th grader.) Her daughter is African American and has gone to school in Havre de Grace. Not sure she is completely ready for the "urban experience" - she's kind of a snobby, opinionated kid, but very sheltered.

We were talking about neighborhoods that would have good schools. I don't have kids, so I am guessing Hampden, Mt. Washington and Pikesville might be good areas. My friend is trying to find a two bedroom apartment for about $1000 (yeah, I laughed too!) a month that is in a great district. Anyone have any suggestions?
In that price range sounds like the little girl is going to be in for a jarring experience.

Old 06-16-2013, 09:50 AM

32 posts, read 58,608 times
I would strongly suggest she look in the county for schooling. Even the not so great county schools are much better than the schools in the city. Or she'll be fighting a battle with the school system, she's a single parent too? And raising a pre-teen? Whew!

I second the home-share/basement apartment idea. Even looking for another single-parent to share a home is a good idea too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore