Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 07:32 AM

6 posts, read 40,549 times

Advertisements

All are very pretty, thank you for posting.
As for the negative comments, yeah sure it has an ugly side....having lived in big cities around the world (Rome, Naples, Berlin..) it's a given for all. We also lived in the fashionable section of smaller Richmond (Cary St. in the Slip) w/ pretty shops and cobblestones outside our door; along with drugs & drunks & homeless & urine & noise & smells & theft & your pricey parking slot taken... cities are what they are. There was a time, not so long ago, that our area of Richmond was a scary place to drive, much less live. I'd say Baltimore has more than it's fair share of the positive aside the terrible, so I look forward to knowing more than just Pimlico (a work stop).
Again, thanks for the nice pics!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2008, 04:56 PM

757 posts, read 2,553,296 times
Very nice!

Old 02-09-2008, 04:00 AM

27 posts, read 185,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin2212 View Post
The first couple photos actually made Baltimore look nice and I could pretend it wasn't just a dying, depressing Northeast city. But that depressing feel honestly set in in the later pictures of the snow and frost, the gray trainyards and the old, depressing brick rowhouses.

I don't know what people find charming about the row houses in Baltimore and other East Coast cities. They have a very depressing, forlorn feel. I really wish they build 10 Inner Harbor quickly. Baltimore would be a pleasant place if all those rowhouses were demolished and made way for new glass skyscrapers like the ones in the Inner Harbor. And if there were twice as many sunny days and the average temperatures were 10 or 15 degrees warmer and fall didn't start until November.
Phoenix just called - they say there's plenty of room for you!

Seriously, I've always thought Baltimore was a great-looking town. Even the grimy industrial parts are interesting. I'm really going to miss the rowhouses when I go. But I've lived here all my life and maybe I'm just a poor dumb Baltimoron.

The problem with Baltimore isn't the buildings, it's the people...

Old 02-13-2008, 06:32 AM

226 posts, read 979,363 times
Baltimore does have a look and feel of some parts of Europe, especially the architectures. Too bad the Baltimorons suck. Yeah it's the people alright. Baltimore would have been a decent city but the term "ghetto" always comes to mind when I drive around the city. The show "The Wire" is also a reminder of how Baltimore is now and how it was for the past few decades and how the Baltimorons really are, even far worse than what the show depicts. Agree?

Old 02-13-2008, 10:49 AM

33 posts, read 175,597 times
no, not everyone who lives in balitmore is "ghetto" and belongs to the drug culture the wire portrays. drugs are a reality, but not to everyone. sorry i suck so much....

Old 02-13-2008, 12:17 PM

315 posts, read 1,299,971 times
The skyline looks great. Unfortunately it doesn't capture the street level where most people live. Post a few pictures of the trash strewn bus stops along Eastern Ave. or the floating garbage in the Canton "waterfront."

Old 02-14-2008, 09:58 AM

1,904 posts, read 3,987,200 times
I always loved the skyline from Federal Hill park. Unfortunately when you walk down the hill you see the trash and decay.

Old 02-14-2008, 01:33 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,591,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSoxFanGoingWest View Post
I always loved the skyline from Federal Hill park. Unfortunately when you walk down the hill you see the trash and decay.

---Walking down the hill from Federal Hill Park leads a person to the water and the Inner Harbor. I don't see any decay around there. Maybe some litter in the streets but no more than expected for any city Baltimore's size. There is decay in Baltimore but not around that area. This is a bit of an exaggeration. For what purpose, I have no idea.

Old 02-15-2008, 09:11 AM

1,904 posts, read 3,987,200 times
Really Jonjj? Walk 3-4 blocks and get to Light St - trash, crime, decay. Keep walking past Charles St and you see even more of the same just add in drug use and prostitution. Walk down to the Inner Harbor and check out the trash in the water and the disgusting aroma.

Old 02-15-2008, 01:42 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,591,613 times
Well, I have been doing just that for a number of years and I don't see what you claim at all. I don't understand your purpose for saying these allegations? I mean, if you don't like Baltimore, be honest about it and talk freely about why you dislike it but the story above is just simply not true. I don't see drug use nor prostitution anywhere along Charles or near the Inner Harbor nor Light Street. Quite an imagination you have there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore